Frame Drops and Unsteady Bitrate

mrstartipper

Hi! Since this past Saturday (11/19/22), I have been having issues with OBS studio where I am getting huge numbers of dropped frames when streaming (both to Twitch and YouTube - separately). The bitrate will be fairly steady, but it will then suddenly either drop, going down to 1000kbps, 2000kbps, or even 0kbps. Other times, it will shoot way up to over 12000kbps. During these times of strange behavior, I will get massive frame drops, even upwards of over 25,000 dropped frames on a 2-hr test stream. Normally, my frame drop % is 1% or less, often around 0 or maybe 0.3%. I have had no less than 10%, sometimes 20% when doing tests lately. I normally run at 4500kbps running at 720p 60fps and have been doing so for awhile now. The issue only started between 11/12/22 and 11/19/22, since the 11/12/22 stream was fine, but the 11/19/22 stream was not. I did not stream between the two dates. I have had no Windows updates of any kind, no programs have updated that would have any affect on the network traffic. I have 400mbps download speeds and 20mbps upload speeds (usually running around 13-15mbps consistent speeds).

I have tried restarting the computer, running on both Ethernet and Wi-Fi, restarting the router/modem (combo item), factory resetting the router/modem, checking the drivers and all other sources that could affect the network to see if any updates could have affected the streaming, contacting Twitch (no help there - just canned responses), and having my ISP come out. The ISP could find no local issues, and the only potential issue he saw did not have any effect on broadband internet. I have tried streaming to both Twitch and YouTube separately and have had the issue on both services, somewhat smaller issues on YouTube, but still over 4% of the frames dropped during a 2-hr test stream. I've run OBS as an Admin (set as the default setting in the Properties for the exe file), and I have my graphics card set to run at the best speed it can consistently (stable Mhz and consistent voltage), so it is taking the brunt of any graphics-related stress. The CPU consistently runs at <1% usage (per OBS - <10% usage per Task Manager), and the graphics card is an RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 in a brand new system that can easily handle the stress of streaming (had no issues in the 11/12/22 stream.

In my current test stream, OBS is showing over 11k dropped frames having streamed for just over an hour now. I was trying to check the log to see if anything could be seen, and I just kept coming across weird errors about a link to streamelements for a background overlay and something about chat connection issues with that overlay (I don't think that overlay even has a chat function in it).

I'm attaching here in the text a link to the log file: https://obsproject.com/logs/9rGVPHr_rNC8JYlJ

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if the bitrate issues are OBS or something else, but I do know there's something weird going on in the log file with at least the one overlay.

KUCTech

Hello mrstartipper: I don't have an answer for you, but I have very similar symptoms which started in the last 2 weeks. Basically, wildly fluctuating bitrates, and predominantly lower than the OBS bitrate setting. I have the OBS bitrate set at 4000, with CBR specified, and until recently the rate did not vary much more than 500 up or down. Now it will go all the way to zero on the low end, and even disconnect, and then spike at 5500+ on the top end.

I have done much the same as you in terms of resetting equipment, but the issue remains. I am running on a Mac, using OBS 27.2.4 - the same version that I was using before these symptoms started, so I don't think we can pin this on OBS. It would seem like a network/internet problem, although all the speed tests I have run are showing plenty of capacity. My next move will be to follow up with our ISP.

If there is any good news in all this, it is that the quality of the actual live stream has not yet suffered significantly (other than when it completely disconnects).

So I know this doesn't help you at all, but let's hope the wisdom of the OBS community can point us in the right direction.

Regards. . .

mrstartipper

Hi @KUCTech, thank you for the response. I'm running the newest version of OBS (28.0.2 or maybe .3?). Prior to the issue cropping up I too was running the same version of OBS that I am using now. I believe that you are correct that the issue is most likely ISP related (or some problem with twitch ingest servers to which they won't admit fault). I am using Spectrum (Charter) as my ISP. I ended up upgrading my service to the 1Gb package, only because my upload speeds locally are atrocious (40Mb up for 1Gb down). If I wanted to dish out $180+/mo. I could upgrade to the business option, but that seems dumb to have to do that. Hopefully, the upgraded speeds, along with getting a new router will remedy the issue. One of the lights on my router no longer lights up, so I'm curious if some mini power spike or something messed it up. I really need to get a UPS for that part of my setup. I hope you can get your stream stuff working.

Do you happen to have Spectrum as well or another provider?

KUCTech

Hello mrstartipper: Thanks for your recent comments. No, I am not a Spectrum customer. I am in Canada (Parksville, BC), using OBS to stream church services, and our ISP (Shaw) is generally reliable. One of the variables in our setup is that we stream to YouTube through Restream, and I don't know if there could be an issue there.

As far as OBS 28 is concerned, I have been waiting for it to settle in, and for the MacOS versions of a couple of plugins to be available. And now I see version 29 is available in beta!

Good luck with everything - if we are able to resolve this on our configuration, I will update you.

Cheers. . .

KUCTech

Hello mrstartipper: Some more thoughts. . . I have been looking at the OBS Log files from the live streaming sessions where I am seeing the unusual bitrate fluctuations, and I see that Dynamic bitrate is enabled. I don't recall setting that option, but it is definitely being enabled. If I understand correctly how it works, it will adjust the bitrate to compensate for a degraded internet connection, and to avoid dropping frames. So perhaps in my case, the constant dropping in bitrate is normal behaviour for a poor network connection. Anyway, the next time I am at the live streaming location, I will do some more testing, but I am still thinking it is a network/internet problem.

Whadda you think?

mrstartipper

Hello mrstartipper: Some more thoughts. . . I have been looking at the OBS Log files from the live streaming sessions where I am seeing the unusual bitrate fluctuations, and I see that Dynamic bitrate is enabled. I don't recall setting that option, but it is definitely being enabled. If I understand correctly how it works, it will adjust the bitrate to compensate for a degraded internet connection, and to avoid dropping frames. So perhaps in my case, the constant dropping in bitrate is normal behaviour for a poor network connection. Anyway, the next time I am at the live streaming location, I will do some more testing, but I am still thinking it is a network/internet problem.

Whadda you think?
Hi @KUCTech, I do not have the Dynamic Bitrate setting enabled, though I did try it to see if it helped. It did keep me from dropping frames, but it did not help with the bigger issue of the wildly fluctuating bitrate. I just upped my Internet plan and got a new modem and router, so I'm hoping that one or both of those might remedy my issues. If not, at least I'll have shiny new tech...

pdcweb

We are also having this problem. For the last 2 weeks we have been seeing wild fluctuations in bitrate and on our last stream we had a 47% dropped frames rate. Before this we had zero dropped frames for months. We have made no changes to OBS, but there have been some windows updates.

We stream directly to youtube.

Our ISP is Valley Fiber in Manitoba Canada. They are on the Shaw backbone.

I wonder if Shaw is the common denominator here?
Otherwise I was suspecting it is a youtube problem.

I am planning to spend the day at our church today troubleshooting it, I'll let you know if I find anything.

Solowhite

Buenos dias llevo ya 2 meses con el mismo problema y supuestamente era el problema de mi proveedor de internet change
y ahora tengo nuevo proveedor con Internet simétrico y encima 300 mb y sigue sucediendo que se cae a 0 kb/sy se corta la trasmisión por si ayuda cambien dejo qui , todavía vi mil cosas y no encuentro la solución gracias

mrstartipper

We are also having this problem. For the last 2 weeks we have been seeing wild fluctuations in bitrate and on our last stream we had a 47% dropped frames rate. Before this we had zero dropped frames for months. We have made no changes to OBS, but there have been some windows updates.

We stream directly to youtube.

Our ISP is Valley Fiber in Manitoba Canada. They are on the Shaw backbone.

I wonder if Shaw is the common denominator here?
Otherwise I was suspecting it is a youtube problem.

I am planning to spend the day at our church today troubleshooting it, I'll let you know if I find anything.
Interesting. So we all have different providers (exception - 2 people with Shaw), we've made no changes in OBS, we stream to either Twitch or YouTube, and we're all having the same issue. I just updated my ISP internet package to a 1Gb download 40Mb upload (our internet packages here in the US are horrible unless you can get Fiber), got a new modem through my ISP (no longer using a combined unit that I bought), and I bought a Netgear Nighthawk AXE7300 to see if all that would fix the issue (maybe a bad modem, router, or insufficient upload speeds?). While my download speeds are quite nice, and I can now connect to the router with amazing speeds on my desktop using WiFi 6, the issue still persists.

A tech for my ISP said that the cold weather might be a factor, but I'm not so sure. I didn't have this issue 11 months ago when I started streaming, and the worst example of rate drops I've had yet occurred last night when it was still 40 degrees Fahrenheit, about 15-20 degrees higher than when I noticed the issue last weekend.

All of this being said, it leads me to believe that the issue is ISP related, potentially problematic wiring, outside interference (like hackers), or some tiny error in the servers/systems that affect/run the streaming platforms. This seems too widespread globally to be bad equipment on our ends. When I did speed tests last night at different times on several different sites, I kept getting widely different results, even within the same site, but I mostly saw that my upload speed would consistently be 7Mbps or lower, even though I'm paying for 40Mbps. Randomly it would go back up to 33Mbps or so, but it also dropped many times down to 2Mbps. Most of these tests were performed between 8:30 and 11:30pm, when most people would no longer be using a lot of data in other households around us (can rule out their messing with the results by using up bandwidth).

Last edited:

.norman.

A tech for my ISP said that the cold weather might be a factor, but I'm not so sure. I didn't have this issue 11 months ago when I started streaming, and the worst example of rate drops I've had yet occurred last night when it was still 40 degrees Fahrenheit, about 15-20 degrees higher than when I noticed the issue last weekend.

All of this being said, it leads me to believe that the issue is ISP related, potentially problematic wiring, outside interference (like hackers), or some tiny error in the servers/systems that affect/run the streaming platforms. This seems too widespread globally to be bad equipment on our ends.

I would agree with you, except that small detail about different ISPs. but it is still possible that all of you are experiencing the same issue with your ISP, albeit by pure coincidence.

The temperature can, and does, have a significant effect on a cable system. but this would be a very widespread issue within the system that many customers would be complaining about, potentially causing outages. so not likely the cause in this case.

Now if there was a problem with the ingest servers for Twitch and / or YouTube then that would explain this issue persisting over multiple ISPs and geographic locations. but this would also likely be a much larger impact than what is reported here, or maybe not, who knows.

What you can try, just rule out any issue with OBS, one of you roll back to version 27.x.x and see if the issue persists.

mrstartipper

Hey @.norman., if I were to roll back, do I just download the older version, remove the newer version (keep my settings, etc.), and just install the older version, or do I have to remove all my settings, etc.?

.norman.

Hey @.norman., if I were to roll back, do I just download the older version, remove the newer version (keep my settings, etc.), and just install the older version, or do I have to remove all my settings, etc.?

good question. i would make a backup of %appdata%\obs-studio then remove it all, install 27, create new scenes, and test. if the problem goes away, then try and restore the backup and test again.

.norman.

I just so you know I'm from Argentina and I have the problem 2 months ago as I said in the post above
so there is Argentina, Canada, and the USA. this is not a specific ISP issue. the only other things all of you have in common is OBS, Twitch, and YouTube. the issue is going to be with one of those 3.

Edit: well, there is also windows. it is also possible that there is a problem with windows or a common driver such as gpu or network adapter.

Solowhite

así está Argentina, Canadá y Estados Unidos. este no es un problema específico de ISP. las únicas otras cosas que todos ustedes tienen en común son OBS, Twitch y YouTube. El problema va a ser con uno de esos 3.

Edit: bueno, también hay ventanas. También es posible que haya un problema con Windows o un controlador común como GPU o adaptador de red. yo hag
yo hago stream con obs y trasmito para twitch entonces que tendria que hacer cual seria la solucion ? llevo 1 año haciendo stream y nunca sucedio estas cosas salieron los problemas el 25 de septiembre

pdcweb

I am currently running an unlisted test stream:
- I have not changed any settings from our last stream.
- So far the stream has run at 5000+kb/s for 1 hour and 40 minutes with ZERO dropped frames.

1669309305477.png

I think it was a YouTube problem and it appears to be fixed.

I will stop my test after 3 hours.

.norman.

I am currently running an unlisted test stream:
- I have not changed any settings from our last stream.
- So far the stream has run at 5000+kb/s for 1 hour and 40 minutes with ZERO dropped frames.

View attachment 89090
I think it was a YouTube problem and it appears to be fixed.

I will stop my test after 3 hours.
i hope you are right, people have been reporting this issue for the last few weeks.