Question / Help Encoding Overloaded (no problems yesterday) [Mod edit: SOLVED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHatty

More info for you that leads me to believe that its something going on with how the CPU is being assigned.

Decided to hit my PC with everything outside of a game. To my shock, no issue. Everything ran beautifully and smoothly.

The MOMENT I started a game thinks went wonkey with my RGB keyboard and mouse. I disabled the RGB software to no effect on the game or performance, and OBS still giving fits. Benhing with Prime 95 right now + Firestrike + Adata64 right now. Periphials, OBS, web browser, everything I open is performing perfectly. The moment a game boots up it goes to shit, and ONLY when the game is the selected window.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Can someone who is having this issue that has avast and is willing to run through some troubleshooting with me directly, please send me a PM.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Thanks to those who reached out. Initial testing seems to indicate that Avast (possibly other AV) is the cause of this issue.

Waiting to hear back from a few more test users to confirm, but I think we've nailed it.

We just had a similar issue that Avast was blocking webcams, and running it in passive mode or temporarily disabling it was not sufficient. It needed to be completely uninstalled to correct the problem.

We can't ask you to uninstall your AV, but at this point it's looking like there's no a whole lot we can do about this.

Tyler Wolf

Thanks to those who reached out. Initial testing seems to indicate that Avast (possibly other AV) is the cause of this issue.

Waiting to hear back from a few more test users to confirm, but I think we've nailed it.

We just had a similar issue that Avast was blocking webcams, and running it in passive mode or temporarily disabling it was not sufficient. It needed to be completely uninstalled to correct the problem.

We can't ask you to uninstall your AV, but at this point it's looking like there's no a whole lot we can do about this.

150% going to uninstall Avast and see if that helps. Filled with annoying pop ads anyway. Thank you for the support!! Very much appreciated. Will report back.

2FU4You

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4x4400 Tested with prime 95 27h
GPU: Zotac GTX 970 AMP Extreme
GPU DRIVER: 382.05 (latest driver)
Game: GTA 5, Rocket League, Diablo3
Issue occurs with NO game open?: No, only when targeting the game. Tried Window, Game capture. Window and Fullscreen mode.
Security Software:
Avast Antivirus Pro ( Diable for testing)

MrHatty

Don't call anything a fox yet at this point. I'm personally experimenting with other AVs to see if they cause issue as well.

jakobmiller

His solution actually seem to work for me as well. I will test a bit further, but I cranked up my settings to 720p/60fps, 4k bitrate at fast preset. I dont get encoding overloaded currently.

trigga

@2FU4You , thank you!! I turned avast game mode off and now I can go back to my original obs settings with x264 and no more encoder overloading issue.

RedEye

I do not have Avast and I am still having this issue. Window's game DVR is off along with Windows Real Time Protection and nothing has changed. Like everyone else I had zero problems streaming til a few days ago

T-Lock

It's working better for me thanks a lot but i still have some "Encode overload".
But i can finally stream !!!
Thanks for this advice :D

SailorDeath

I had this issue, turns out it was Avast causing the problem for me, I had to go into the performance tab and make sure gaming mode was turned off. I had it off by default but I think a recent patch turned it back on or something. Turned it off again and all my issues went away.

SailorDeath

@RedEye are you running on an nvidia card? I can't find the exact post but I read some people having issues with streaming and having "geforce experience" installed I don't have it installed simply because it looks like that Raptr thing AMD use to couple with their software.

jumpinspider

I tried creating a new thread detailing how I fixed this problem today during my stream that doesn't involve Avast (didn't read the avast fix stuff until after my stream) but apparently it needs approval by a moderator first? The Avast solution fixes the CPU0 bottleneck problem for me but then I still get high encoding because my CPU is completely maxed out. Disabling Avast completely lowers the overall CPU usage enough to avoid high encoding but it's still at 95% which is much higher than I ever experienced prior to the Windows 10 patch.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
I tried creating a new thread detailing how I fixed this problem today during my stream that doesn't involve Avast (didn't read the avast fix stuff until after my stream) but apparently it needs approval by a moderator first? The Avast solution fixes the CPU0 bottleneck problem for me but then I still get high encoding because my CPU is completely maxed out. Disabling Avast completely lowers the overall CPU usage enough to avoid high encoding but it's still at 95% which is much higher than I ever experienced prior to the Windows 10 patch.

Please don't make another thread for this same issue. You can post your results here.

jumpinspider

Please don't make another thread for this same issue. You can post your results here.

It's pretty obvious there are still new threads being made constantly about this issue by other people. This thread is the first I've ever posted. I don't understand how this thread warrants restricting me from posting new threads?

I would be more than happy to copy and paste the 4 paragraphs I wrote but you permanently removed it. I'm just trying to help other streamers out.

Paraphrased, this is what I attempted to post:
1) open up Resource Monitor
2) click on the CPU tab to view each individual core
3) while in game, if CPU-0 is being maxed out, alt+tab out of the game then alt+tab back into the game
4) repeat step 3 until the other cores kick in and CPU-0 isn't at 100% anymore

Note: use game capture with game mode fullscreen. don't click to change the focus between obs, the game, or other open programs. As long as I literally pressed "alt+tab" to move back and forth, I didn't have any encoding issues. The moment I tried to use my cursor to change the focus, the high encoding occurred all over again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.