Question / Help Encoding Overloaded (no problems yesterday) [Mod edit: SOLVED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Lock

But the last time this system was updated was December, updates turned off, Windows 7... Unless windows pushes secret updates, how is the windows update the problem?

Ohhhh you've got issues even whitout Windows Updates ?

Then it's an OBS problem ... Does the dev did push something in source code ?

ImNatho

there's people having this problem that make a living out of streaming, i feel bad for these people not being able to do their job because of a fuckup somewhere

The person who I am working for lost about an hour of yesterday's stream and 90% of today's stream. I've advised this person to use xSplit tomorrow so he can actually make his living!

MrHatty

But the last time this system was updated was December, updates turned off, Windows 7... Unless windows pushes secret updates, how is the windows update the problem?
Windows has been backdooring updates into all Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10 systems since the Win 10 Anniversary update. The only way to stop updates is to go into your Windows services and disable Windows Update all together. (there's some software blocks that will do the same, but this method is the most reliable)

To put it bluntly, you might have paid for your OS, but you no longer own it and control it. Windows has become Apple.

MrHatty

Damn ... so this is it ! It can't be a coincidence ... this is so huge to be a coincidence :/
I'm only making logical connections based on what I've been doing, reading, and what has happened with my system over the past 24-48 hours. I made no changes to my system, but Windows did in my sleep because you can't tell it "no"

Osiris

Windows 7 doesn't have game mode... Are there actually any Devs on these forums? There's like 20 threads about this same issue... And the mods sound like they're reading from a crappy call center script...

Not every thread about encoding overloaded is going to be the same issue.
Also the last time OBS was changed in any way was 10 days ago, which was only a minor change for the Windows 10 creator's update directx 9 issue.

Also, there is only 1 dev.

MrHatty

For the time being, I'm pointing the finger squarely at Microsoft. Before this update there were no issues. After, issues with how the CPU manages tasks.

Once more I just ran Firestrike. Everything ran perfectly until things got to the Physics test. Normally the tests run smoothly at around 40 frames. This time, couldn't crack 10. Checking task manager I noted that only 1 core was being utilized and I know that there would be activity on the others during that test.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
For everyone having this issue, please provide the following information (edited for your own equipment/game, of course):

CPU: (example: i7-4790k)
GPU: (example: NVIDIA GeForce 1080ti)
GPU driver version: (example: 382.05)
Game causing this issue: (example: League of Legends)
Issue occurs with NO game open?: (example: No it's not)
Antivirus/Security software installed? (example: Yes, Norton Internet Security and Avast AV)
Provide link to OBS log with a recording/streaming session where this issue happens (if available):

Please only reply if you know that your CPU is dropping to single core use. If you're just having general performance issues while your game is running, but are not sure how to check this, please check the details in this thread for how to check and then do so.

Last edited:

ImNatho

CPU: Intel i7 4770K 3.50Ghz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Game causing this issue: League of Legends and Hollow Knight (Tested so far)
Issue occurs with NO game open?: Only occurs when a game is the focused window. (Yes)

Tyler Wolf

CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: NVIDIA EVGA 1070 GTX FTW
GPU DRIVER: 382.05 (latest driver)
Game: Mostly all of them, primarily Player Unknown Battlegrounds, Prey, and some others.
Issue occurs with NO game open?: No, OBS seems to run fine until I try to play something. Whether its through game capture, or through video source capture (Elgato).
Security Software: Avast Antivirus (Free Version)

I do not have any sort of performance boosting software. I may have something installed through other programs, but I've never used it.

Last edited:

SickMotion

Copy pasting this from the other topic i put it in.

Made an account just so i could reply to some of these to hopefully get something figured out. I have been trying fixes and work arounds for almost 8 hours now with Natho and still nothing. The problem seems to be caused by obs refusing to use anything other than CPU 0. I set affinities to only have 6 and 7 checked and it still defaults to overload CPU 0. The only thing that i have found to stop this from causing issues is turning all of your settings to very low on obs (fastest encoder, low bit rate, low output resolution) in order to make the CPU resource requirement less than what will over load 1 core (CPU 0). This obviously makes your stream/recording look like garbage and is not a real option but further displays the fact that the issue is coming from overloading the 1 core. I am not sure why it would be doing this out of no where because nothing has changed. I have not updated my graphics drivers since before it started, windows update was last done in 2016. I even tried installing obs 18.0.2 and 17.0.2 and it happened with both of them as well. It did it with OBS classic as well. I am hearing that people are having similar issues encoding with shadowplay as well? I have no idea what is causing it. Is there some way that multithreading with OBS has been forced off?

Also I will note that sometimes the issue will stop, maybe 1 in 100 tries of starting stopping recording. When the issue is not happening the load seems to be balanced across cores. As soon as it does happen again all the load is back on CPU 0. Normally my OBS CPU usage is around 25-35 but since the problem has started it will not go above 10-12 (which makes sense i guess if its only using 1 core). When the issue went away briefly and more cores were being used, that usage was back to the normal 26-29 range and then when the issue was back it was right back down to 10-12. Also, when I change the focus window from whatever game I am on back to obs, OBS usage spikes to 80-100 for a few seconds and all cores also spike to 100 during that time. Its like it was behind on the encoding and as soon as the game is not focused and OBS is the focus window it forces it through all at once.

• 3.50 GHz i7 4770k
  • EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti
It happens with league of legends, only when in game with just the client or the load screen. It also happened with hollow knight which is a steam game in the same fashion. the issue doesnt occur with no game open because OBS doesn't require basically and CPU resource. It doesnt happen with game open either if the window isnt focused. For example league takes like 2-3 CPU when its not focused, then goes to 17-20 when it is. When it jumps up to here is when OBS maxes all onto CPU 0.

MrHatty

Mainboard: Asus Prime Z270-AR
CPU: i7 7700k
GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Strix (Driver Version 382.05)
Antivirus: Avast 17.4.2294

Games en issue:
Elite: Dangerous
Mechwarrior Online
Overwatch
Planetside 2
Cites: Skylines
Motorsport Manager

Extra info: While the game is not focused OBS shows no issue and the game it self acts fine. When focused the game begins to show stutters. Elite Dangerous is the worst offender as frames drop 100+ when a hitch hits. The other games only lose 5-10 themselves, where as obs drops from 60 to the pits of hell in output.

Monitoring my GPU on GPUZ, load maxes out, however that's no different than any other time I've broadcasted these games and have had no issue.

I'll add to the list as I keep testing.

Edit: Don't have the stream or recording or streaming log. This issue happens with just OBS sitting there not streaming or recording.

Last edited:

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Can you guys add your GPU driver version to your posts? Forgot to add that at first, sorry for that.

Thank you for the quick responses, I'm going to start tracking and see if we can find a common element here.

jakobmiller

instead of making a new post, just edit the one you wrote.

CPU: i7-7700k
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 1070
GPU driver version: 22.21.13.8205
Game causing this issue: Darkfall: Rise of Agon
Issue occurs with NO game open?: No, only when targeting the game. Tried Window, Game capture. Window and Fullscreen mode.
Antivirus/Security software installed? Avast installed, tried on/off. Intel Extreme Tuning, MSI Afterburner. Worked last week with all these installed.
Provide link to OBS log with a recording/streaming session where this issue happens (if available):

Attachments

• 2017-05-10 19-53-08.txt
    26.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.