Question / Help Encoding Overloaded (no problems yesterday) [Mod edit: SOLVED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumpinspider

I've been streaming for a few years now and I've never encountered anything like this. My stream was perfect yesterday and I've changed no settings since then. I'm including two of the several log files from today's stream. I attempted adjusting all of the recommended settings in subsequent sessions (bitrate, presets, etc) and nothing seemed to fix it.

Attachments

• 2017-05-10 10-15-24.txt
    18.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 2017-05-10 10-48-09.txt
    18 KB · Views: 25

jumpinspider

There is a similar thread that describes the same problem so we aren't alone. Nothing has be resolved as far as I know. Windows 10 had a random update last night and I'm sure it's related but I have no clue how.

DrBlake

I've been streaming for a few years now and I've never encountered anything like this. My stream was perfect yesterday and I've changed no settings since then. I'm including two of the several log files from today's stream. I attempted adjusting all of the recommended settings in subsequent sessions (bitrate, presets, etc) and nothing seemed to fix it.
I had the same issue, it seems to resolve if you change the encoder to NVENC H.264 under output.

There is a similar thread that describes the same problem so we aren't alone. Nothing has be resolved as far as I know. Windows 10 had a random update last night and I'm sure it's related but I have no clue how.
It doesn't have anything to do with that update cause I was experiencing the same issue before that update was released.

jumpinspider

I had the same issue, it seems to resolve if you change the encoder to NVENC H.264 under output.

It doesn't have anything to do with that update cause I was experiencing the same issue before that update was released.

I think our problems might not be the same because I wasn't experiencing this yesterday. I think NVENC requires very high bitrate to stream in acceptable quality. I like to keep my bitrate around 1500 so people without premium internet can still watch without buffering.

h3dsh0t

Last edited:

jumpinspider

The only thing all the people reporting this problem have in common is an NVIDIA card. In addition to the windows update, I manually updated my NVIDIA drivers last night. I don't know how this could be the issue but maybe the new drivers are causing problems?

h3dsh0t

I rolled back the driver and it fixed the problem, so maybe that actually is a fix to the problems!

Edit: Actually it didn't fix it, still having major problems.

Last edited:

T-Lock

Same issue for me ! Check the twitter of Obs , there's a post resolving a problem for Windows 10 and some Windows 7.

Maybe it will help !

It can also be a problem with windows update, try to roll back to an entier save of windows update :)

Keep in touch if the problem is solved guys :D

T-Lock

Damn ... couldn't try it ! I'm not at home !
Then it's probably a windows update problem ... This is the only things i changed on my computer before the "Encode Overload"

MrHatty

I will agree that this is something going on in relation tho the recent Windows update (May 9-10 update). I am unable to fully confirm it since 1. I fail at using system restore and 2. Windows 10 does not allow complete rollback of updates.

Here's my rig;
i7-7700k at stock
GTX1070 at stock
32gb Dominator SPD

Last night I had planned on hoping on Elite Dangerous. Last week when I played, there was no issue. This time, OBS indicated the output framerate was all over the place rather than outputting a smooth 60. And thisbwas while it was just sitting there. No recording, no streaming, nothing. I did the usual routine of switching encoders and removing sources to troubleshoot and no effect.

Curiously, I opened GPUZ to see if something was up with my GPU. Everything was reporting normal. I ran Firestrike + stress test; no issues. Ran task manager and Adata64 and started testing the CPU; no issues.

Curiously though, I switched over to Shadowplay and attempted to record with that. The behavior however was nothing I've seen before. The video would skip and stutter over entire portions of the recording. That is to say, the timeline of the video would jump forward at random spots.

Once more; I wasn't experiencing any issues prior to the May 9-10 windows update. From here, players for team green are mostly affected, but I've not seen anything substantial on the Nvidia forums as of yet. I can only go by the assumption that the Windows update has broken something.

MrHatty

I will also add that since the update, I've notice some funky behavior from my M65 mouse. When the system is under load, the pulsing lighting effect hiccups. I'm wondering if the update may have changed how CPU tasks are handled and that's causing issue.

T0pCL4SS

Alright, so I'm not alone? I can't stream at all. I'm fine running games as normal, but as soon as I open OBS, everything locks up and I have to sit and wait a couple minutes before even the task manager shows up so I can turn off OBS. Here's a couple logs.

Attachments

• Crash 2017-05-11 06-18-31.txt
    50 KB · Views: 15
  • 2017-05-11 05-40-23.txt
    39.7 KB · Views: 10

ImNatho

I've been working with a streamer who says that the CPU usage for OBS Studio has dramatically dropped since yesterday. This issue only occurs when OBS is in the background though. A drop from 20-30% to under 10%. He also says that he doesn't think that Windows has updated in this time, but the issue occurred around half way into a stream.

With League of Legends open, the game will be running fine, but OBS will report a encoder overload (some times) and the stream + recording will drop frames or freeze completely.

This is also not an issue with available CPU as the total usage never goes above 50%. (strangely)

> Windows 7

T-Lock

Gosh ... this is exactly what's happenning to us :/
At the same time (yesterday evening) ...
So what ? OBS Problem or Windows Update problem ? :/

Status
Not open for further replies.