Encoding overload and skipped frames with capable computer.

Merfesto

Hello, hope everyone is having a good day and my apologies if there are any typos.
Ever since I started using OBS, which is around 2 years ago, this issue has always bothered me and I want to fix it or figure it out once and for all, so any help would be greatly appreciated and I will provide all the information I can.
I don't stream, I only use OBS to record, and my processor is an Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz and my graphics card an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, so I think I have a capable PC, and I'm playing the games on a console and not the computer itself, so all of the computer power should go towards OBS, or so I believe. I have tried every possible recording settings combination and I always end up with skipped frames, anywhere from 0.9% to 0.1% most of the time, that translate into some pretty ugly stutters and freezes.
Some other details:
- I like to record with 2 audio tracks, one for microphone and one for game audio.
- I have around 6 TB of space, so the file size wouldn't be a problem if I have to use a setting that uses more space in order to fix this. All these issues I've had happen no matter the space I have on my local disk.
- I have OBS set as High on the Process Priority on the program settings and I run the program as administrator by default.
Those are most of the things I can think about that could be useful to know if, but I'm willing to provide any other information.

I will be posting this to both Reddit and the OBS forums, hopefully that's OK, and thanks for any help that could come my way.

Attachments

• 2021-08-06 11-27-59.txt
    31.2 KB · Views: 26

qhobbes

Change your preset from Max Quality to Quality and uncheck the boxes for Look-ahead and Psycho Visual Tuning.

Merfesto

Change your preset from Max Quality to Quality and uncheck the boxes for Look-ahead and Psycho Visual Tuning.
Thanks for the help. I tried what you suggested while moving around the city on Spider-Man Remastered for a minute and a half and I still get the same issue. I attach the log, it's the very last part.

Attachments

• 2021-08-06 21-29-21.txt
    20.4 KB · Views: 23

Merfesto

Hello, hope everyone is having a good day and my apologies if there are any typos.
Ever since I started using OBS, which is around 2 years ago, this issue has always bothered me and I want to fix it or figure it out once and for all, so any help would be greatly appreciated and I will provide all the information I can.
I don't stream, I only use OBS to record, and my processor is an Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz and my graphics card an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, so I think I have a capable PC, and I'm playing the games on a console and not the computer itself, so all of the computer power should go towards OBS, or so I believe. I have tried every possible recording settings combination and I always end up with skipped frames, anywhere from 0.9% to 0.1% most of the time, that translate into some pretty ugly stutters and freezes.
Some other details:
- I like to record with 2 audio tracks, one for microphone and one for game audio.
- I have around 6 TB of space, so the file size wouldn't be a problem if I have to use a setting that uses more space in order to fix this. All these issues I've had happen no matter the space I have on my local disk.
- I have OBS set as High on the Process Priority on the program settings and I run the program as administrator by default.
Those are most of the things I can think about that could be useful to know if, but I'm willing to provide any other information.

I will be posting this to both Reddit and the OBS forums, hopefully that's OK, and thanks for any help that could come my way.
I have been doing a ridiculous amount of tests, and I've noticed that while running OBS, even though my CPU usage never goes above 10% or so, and my GPU usage never goes above 60% or so, my disk (C:) reaches 100% pretty much all the time, so I think I might have found the culprit, but I don't know how to interpret it. Any help?

qhobbes

Remove the display capture source and uncheck the boxes for Look-ahead and Psycho Visual Tuning.