Encoding overload and skipped frames with capable computer.

Merfesto

Hello, hope everyone is having a good day and my apologies if there are any typos.
Ever since I started using OBS, which is around 2 years ago, this issue has always bothered me and I want to fix it or figure it out once and for all, so any help would be greatly appreciated and I will provide all the information I can.
I don't stream, I only use OBS to record, and my processor is an Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz and my graphics card an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, so I think I have a capable PC, and I'm playing the games on a console and not the computer itself, so all of the computer power should go towards OBS, or so I believe. I have tried every possible recording settings combination and I always end up with skipped frames, anywhere from 0.9% to 0.1% most of the time, that translate into some pretty ugly stutters and freezes.
Some other details:
- I like to record with 2 audio tracks, one for microphone and one for game audio.
- I have around 6 TB of space, so the file size wouldn't be a problem if I have to use a setting that uses more space in order to fix this. All these issues I've had happen no matter the space I have on my local disk.
- I have OBS set as High on the Process Priority on the program settings and I run the program as administrator by default.
Those are most of the things I can think about that could be useful to know if, but I'm willing to provide any other information.

I will be posting this to both Reddit and the OBS forums, hopefully that's OK, and thanks for any help that could come my way.

Attachments

qhobbes

Change your preset from Max Quality to Quality and uncheck the boxes for Look-ahead and Psycho Visual Tuning.

Merfesto

Change your preset from Max Quality to Quality and uncheck the boxes for Look-ahead and Psycho Visual Tuning.
Thanks for the help. I tried what you suggested while moving around the city on Spider-Man Remastered for a minute and a half and I still get the same issue. I attach the log, it's the very last part.

Attachments

Merfesto

Hello, hope everyone is having a good day and my apologies if there are any typos.
Ever since I started using OBS, which is around 2 years ago, this issue has always bothered me and I want to fix it or figure it out once and for all, so any help would be greatly appreciated and I will provide all the information I can.
I don't stream, I only use OBS to record, and my processor is an Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz and my graphics card an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, so I think I have a capable PC, and I'm playing the games on a console and not the computer itself, so all of the computer power should go towards OBS, or so I believe. I have tried every possible recording settings combination and I always end up with skipped frames, anywhere from 0.9% to 0.1% most of the time, that translate into some pretty ugly stutters and freezes.
Some other details:
- I like to record with 2 audio tracks, one for microphone and one for game audio.
- I have around 6 TB of space, so the file size wouldn't be a problem if I have to use a setting that uses more space in order to fix this. All these issues I've had happen no matter the space I have on my local disk.
- I have OBS set as High on the Process Priority on the program settings and I run the program as administrator by default.
Those are most of the things I can think about that could be useful to know if, but I'm willing to provide any other information.

I will be posting this to both Reddit and the OBS forums, hopefully that's OK, and thanks for any help that could come my way.
I have been doing a ridiculous amount of tests, and I've noticed that while running OBS, even though my CPU usage never goes above 10% or so, and my GPU usage never goes above 60% or so, my disk (C:) reaches 100% pretty much all the time, so I think I might have found the culprit, but I don't know how to interpret it. Any help?

qhobbes

Remove the display capture source and uncheck the boxes for Look-ahead and Psycho Visual Tuning.