Converting all 6 tracks of MKV audio to 6 different MP3 files

GrandCharman

I’ve been editing with a program that does not support MKV or MP4 files with all of the tracks separated. I was able to live with this until one of my recordings had audio issues. I’m now trying my best to convert each track into it’s own mp3 file for it to be completely compatible with my editing software, but I can’t get any program to recongize the tracks seperately. I’ve tried VLC, OBS and other off-brand sketchy online converting websites, but nothing will recognize it. If anyone knows of any apps that could do this, please let me know.

Harold

The audio editor Audacity is able to recognize individual audio tracks in an mkv from obs fine and would probably also allow you to do the editing needed.

Note: Audio in recordings from OBS are AAC, not MP3.

GrandCharman

The audio editor Audacity is able to recognize individual audio tracks in an mkv from obs fine and would probably also allow you to do the editing needed.

Note: Audio in recordings from OBS are AAC, not MP3.
I got this error, and I’ve tried ffmpeg already. What should I do from here? Do you encounter this issue?

Attachments

• D0FF0746-C1B5-4969-8BFE-09570ED41954.jpeg
    D0FF0746-C1B5-4969-8BFE-09570ED41954.jpeg
    559.1 KB · Views: 40

Suslik V

There are number of ways to extract all audio tracks from the OBS recording and save it to other format.
General solution is to use standalone ffmpeg installation and handcrafted batch files. Users usually make the .cmd(.bat) files with the next content:
Bash:
SET input_file="my_recording.mkv"
ffmpeg -i %input_file% -map 0:a:0 "track1.wav"
ffmpeg -i %input_file% -map 0:a:1 "track2.wav"
ffmpeg -i %input_file% -map 0:a:2 "track3.wav"
ffmpeg -i %input_file% -map 0:a:3 "track4.wav"
ffmpeg -i %input_file% -map 0:a:4 "track5.wav"
ffmpeg -i %input_file% -map 0:a:5 "track6.wav"
pause
this allows silently skip not existing audio tracks and extracting them all as uncompressed .wav files (all to the same folder).

Here, the .wav was selected for output because it is most supported file format among the editors. The first string of this command file has name of the recorded video. Full path to the ffmpeg .exe the video .mkv and to output .wav files are required, if all files is not lies in the same folder (different drives, path etc.).

The uncompressed .wav files are huge, 1 hour is about 700MBytes each.

GrandCharman

There are number of ways to extract all audio tracks from the OBS recording and save it to other format.
General solution is to use standalone ffmpeg installation and handcrafted batch files. Users usually make the .cmd(.bat) files with the next content:
Bash:
pause
this allows silently skip not existing audio tracks and extracting them all as uncompressed .wav files (all to the same folder).

Here, the .wav was selected for output because it is most supported file format among the editors. The first string of this command file has name of the recorded video. Full path to the ffmpeg .exe the video .mkv and to output .wav files are required, if all files is not lies in the same folder (different drives, path etc.).

The uncompressed .wav files are huge, 1 hour is about 700MBytes each.
I’m sorry, I don’t get this stuff. How do you make that batch file? How do you run the file? I’ve kept looking at your comment and I don’t get how I do this.

Tomasz Góral

I’m sorry, I don’t get this stuff. How do you make that batch file? How do you run the file? I’ve kept looking at your comment and I don’t get how I do this.
Run notepad.exe (or any other text editor i suggest notepad++).
Paste text:

Save file as e.g. myfile.bat
Check extension some time notepad can add .txt on the end name.
In the same directory put:
my_recording.mkv
ffmpeg.exe
myfile.bat

Run myfile.bat, open file explorer and double click on myfile.bat or one click and enter on keyboard.

GrandCharman

Run notepad.exe (or any other text editor i suggest notepad++).
Paste text:

Save file as e.g. myfile.bat
Check extension some time notepad can add .txt on the end name.
In the same directory put:
my_recording.mkv
ffmpeg.exe
myfile.bat

Run myfile.bat, open file explorer and double click on myfile.bat or one click and enter on keyboard.
I don’t have an ffmpeg.exe, do I have the right installation?

Attachments

• 04D6CBA6-ADF9-44D1-A38E-B0990D938C53.jpeg
    04D6CBA6-ADF9-44D1-A38E-B0990D938C53.jpeg
    353.6 KB · Views: 17