Comprehensive Stopwatch & Countdown Timer

OBS Lua Comprehensive Stopwatch & Countdown Timer 5.8

GrumpyDog

Hey @GrumpyDog ... I'm having trouble loading the script in Ubuntu 22.04... in fact, it just crashes OBS Studio when I try to add the script. I just downloaded it using the method you described in the video (i.e. v4.10 from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/midnight-studios/obs-lua/main/StopWatch.lua, saved as .obs file, and tried to add via Tools > Scripts. I click the +, select the file and OBS Studio crashes. I am using OBS Studio 29.1.3 (64 bit). Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to get a log file... i.e. there are no log entries created as the app crashes.
Have you any thoughts on where to look?
Cheers!
I am so sorry supersime, only noticed this message now. Unfortunately I have only tested this on Windows. Maybe see if this is resolved in version 5. It will be released soon.

GrumpyDog

Kirland93

Hi! I'd like to know if there's anyway to make the start/stop separate buttons. I wanna use this bc I'm trying to use this amazing timer for speed-running on Only Up and it's amazing !!!

GrumpyDog

Hi! I'd like to know if there's anyway to make the start/stop separate buttons. I wanna use this bc I'm trying to use this amazing timer for speed-running on Only Up and it's amazing !!!
Kirland93 are you requesting that if 'start' button is clicked the first time that the timer will run continuously regardless how many times it is pressed/clicked again, and that the only way to 'pause' or 'stop' the timer is by pressing/clicking a different dedicated button? I would like to know why this difference is important. Can you please try and explain how the feature or ability you require will be used in a context?

Kirland93

Yes! that's what I'm asking. I'm trying to use this timer in order to play speed-running on stream and I'd like to be as precise as possible, since I need it to be very careful with the milliseconds. This feature will help me with that matter since I'd like to press just one button to start the timer and move at the same time in the game and the timer doesn't pause when I press that button again. Since I'm speed-running, the pause feature is something I won't be using, for that matter, the restart can be more useful for me :3

GrumpyDog

Yes! that's what I'm asking. I'm trying to use this timer in order to play speed-running on stream and I'd like to be as precise as possible, since I need it to be very careful with the milliseconds. This feature will help me with that matter since I'd like to press just one button to start the timer and move at the same time in the game and the timer doesn't pause when I press that button again. Since I'm speed-running, the pause feature is something I won't be using, for that matter, the restart can be more useful for me :3
Thanks for explaining. This feature will be available in the next release. Whenever a new feature is introduced the entire feature range has to be tested to ensure a new feature doesn’t cause an issue or break an existing feature. If all go well, it may be released within a week.

cnschu

it is a great script.
but i couldn't find and function to start and stop the timer.
it is rather annoying to have to navigate into the script options to pause the timer and resume it.
did i miss something here?

it would be great if you could enable hotkey for start, stop, pause and resume.

thannks for your help in advance :)

cnschu

it is a great script.
but i couldn't find and function to start and stop the timer.
it is rather annoying to have to navigate into the script options to pause the timer and resume it.
did i miss something here?

it would be great if you could enable hotkey for start, stop, pause and resume.

thannks for your help in advance :)
found it, never mind. sorry for bothering you :)

Kirland93

Thanks for explaining. This feature will be available in the next release. Whenever a new feature is introduced the entire feature range has to be tested to ensure a new feature doesn’t cause an issue or break an existing feature. If all go well, it may be released within a week.
Thank you so much!! I really appreciate that!!!!!

GrumpyDog

found it, never mind. sorry for bothering you :)
You are always welcome to reach out if you struggle, the properties in this script can be overwhelming. For those who may also be struggling with the Hotkey Configuration you can find some info here but remember that you can filter the target hotkey by entering the script name in the filter text input field

1690600821163.png

Still lost? Check this video:

Last edited:

GrumpyDog

GrumpyDog updated Comprehensive Stopwatch & Countdown Timer with a new update entry:

Version 5.1

Thank you Kirland93 for your valuable feedback.

Version 5.1

NEW FEATURES

- New Feature ['Auto List'], the ability to cycle all sources inside specific group or scene.
- Expanded Prefix and Suffix text features.
- Split Start and Pause into two buttons (Opt In)
- Expanded feature that allows marker text sources in a defined group
- Added ability to disable features, if this is selected, related properties will be hidden in the settings.

OPTIMIZATION

-

USER...

Read the rest of this update entry...

lcalder

Firstly this is the best timer out there. Thank you for your amazing work on this script.
There are a few problems:
1. If the RESET hotkey is pressed while the timer is running it will throw this error
[StopWatch-[5.1].lua] Failed to call timer_cb for timer_call: attempt to call a nil value
2. When RESET is pressed it shows the default "00:00:00" on the screen, even though I have selected "No leading zeros, no split seconds"
3. I cannot find any documentation describing the correct formatting/operation of Marker A Time and Marker B Time. I watched your YT Video as well, but nothing. I was hoping to have the colors change to Marker A Color when the timer reached 5 seconds and then to MarkerB Color when the timer reached 10 seconds but can't get it to work. I wonder if the color is being overridden by the FreeType2 Text options, because the color specified within is what shows, instead of, for example, the color I have selected for the "Normal" color in the StopWatch dialog. I tried formatting the marker entries as "5", 00:00:05, 00:05:00, for 5 seconds, both with and without enclosing quotes, etc.

GrumpyDog

Firstly this is the best timer out there. Thank you for your amazing work on this script.

Thank you for the feedback, it is much appreciated. Please show your support with a rating.

There are a few problems:
1. If the RESET hotkey is pressed while the timer is running it will throw this error
[StopWatch-[5.1].lua] Failed to call timer_cb for timer_call: attempt to call a nil value

This is fixed in version 5.2, Not released yet.

1693876918031.png

2. When RESET is pressed it shows the default "00:00:00" on the screen, even though I have selected "No leading zeros, no split seconds"

Thanks for reporting, fixed for 5.2 release.

3. I cannot find any documentation describing the correct formatting/operation of Marker A Time and Marker B Time.

It will be covered in an upcoming video. In the meanwhile, the correct format is '00:00:00' or "HH:MM:SS" add it purely as:

HH:MM:SS

without any parentheses or enclosing quotes as follow:
1693877025007.png

I was hoping to have the colors change to 'Marker A' Color when the timer reached 5 seconds and then to 'Marker B' Color when the timer reached 10 seconds but can't get it to work.

Set trigger 'Marker A' to '00:00:05' to trigger it at 5 seconds and set 'marker B' to '00:00:10' to trigger at 10 seconds.

1693876622589.png

1693876639768.png

I wonder if the color is being overridden by the FreeType2 Text options.

Again, I will walk this through in an upcoming video. The Normal Color is what the timer text must be before it is updated by Marker A or B triggers. In certain circumstances the text will revert back to the Normal Color after being changed by a Marker A or B trigger.

1693876658911.png

NOTE: Marker A & Marker B Color Settings will only become visible if a trigger time for Marker A & Marker B Color has been defined.

The color definitions for 'Normal', 'Marker A' and 'Marker B' must override the FreeType2 Text options (Text Source Font Properties). The only exception is, if the features have been disabled in the Script Property: "Disabled Features", then the FreeType2 Text options (Text Source Font Properties) will apply and will NOT be overridden by 'Normal', 'Marker A' and 'Marker B' color settings.

1693876850336.png

If Reset Marker A or B text is set to '0' the Normal Color will not be applied after it was changed by Marker A or B. If however you entered a value then the Normal Color will be applied after the defined value (in seconds)

Reset Marker A after 3 Seconds

1693877323301.png

Reset Marker A disabled when set to '0'

1693877386370.png

Last edited:

lcalder

Funny. I didn't have the Disable Features checked, but now I am doing it and I left everything enable except for Timer Time Split/Lap to see if there was a difference in behavior, but no change.
That is the way I am defining my time marker A and B but I can't get the timer numbers to change color at all when those times are reached. Also no "return to Normal" color happening obviously.
However when I specify a Marker A Note Source and Marker B Note Source they (note sources) ARE indeed changing color according to what is specified in the plugin dialog, HOWEVER the actual timer numbers do not change color for me. That's why I though I was formatting the Marker A Time and Marker B Time entries incorrectly...

I can't get the Reset Marker A/B Text to do anything... I've tried values from 0 to 5. Same with the Hide Marker A/B Note sliders...
1693884490093.png

1693884517066.png

GrumpyDog

@lcalder the behavior you are describing is not making any sense. It’s weird because I tested 5.1 and it works fine. To help me identify where the issue is, please do the following trouble shooting:

1. Please create and export your settings with the Script Backup feature.

1693894463161.png

Once a backup is created, please zip it and send a download link to me via DM. You can use Google drive or https://wetransfer.com/ This will allow me to test using your settings.

2. Please reset the script to its default settings, and set it up again starting with only the most basic settings, leaving the color defaults. Start by defining the 'Timer Text Source', then 'Marker A Time', and then 'Marker B Time'. Once this is done, please test it and see if the issue is still present.

3. If still present, set the Reset Marker Text to zero and see if the issue is still present.

1693894899080.png

4. If still present, please delete the script, download a fresh copy and test again.

5. Please try using my settings:

Please let me know if any of these steps fixed the issue.

The ‘Disable Feature’ checkbox only hide or show available features to enable or disable. So once you selected / unselected your features you can uncheck the ‘Disable Feature’ checkbox to hide it. Hiding it or showing it will have no affect on the features or functions.

lcalder

Finally got a chance to check. I followed all the steps you outlined above in order you specified. I then deleted my StopWatch5.1.lua and redownloaded from the github. There was no change in behavior... Colors for the normal and markers were tried unchanged from the defaults, but still the counting numbers do no change colors as each marker time is reached. I then added the Marker notes in the form of a (yellow) and then (green) asterisks which did change to the desired colors as the marked times were reached.
I'm using a Mac M2 Pro - no idea if this should introduce problems or not...

lcalder

I've attached my json file with the settings from the backup function.
I added a .txt extension to the .json file so that I could attach it here...

Attachments

• StopWatch-[5.1]-backup(2023-09-06-1749).json.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 15