Question / Help Capture cards gradual audio desync. Help. Pls.

Serious_Hitman

Hello, I recently built a second computer for streaming and I started to have problems with audio sync inside OBS. The wierdest thing is that the problem shows up only after 1~2 hrs of streaming. Before that, I also used capture cards on my main computer and everything was fine. Going back to single PC setup is not an option. Well... unless of course this problem finally drives me crazy.

I have 3 different capture cards in my system:
Elgato 4k Pro
AverMedia Live Gamer II
AverMedia c127 gamecaster (didn't used it yet)

2 cards (Elgato 4k and AVM LGII) have these problems.

Clicking "Deactivate" and then "Activate" button fixes the audio. But cmon, shutting down gameplay every hour just to get audio fixed is not a solution, its just bad and like i said, i don't have this issue at all on my main PC.
I also found out if i change buffering mode from "auto-detect" or "enabled" to "disabled" fixes the audio. So i figured may be that was the problem i decided to disable the buffering - audio still desyncs, funny part is that now if i want to fix it i have to ENABLE and then disable the buffering. Both options will cause image to freeze for a few seconds, so no, this is not a solution either.

Streaming PC specs:
AMD Ryzen 1700
ASUS Prime x370 - PRO
NVIDIA GTX 970
16 Gb Ram

Main PC specs (PC that does not have this issue)
intel i9 9900K
ASUS ROG Strix z390-f
RTX 2080 ti
32 Gb of Ram

What i have already tried:
Changing encoder presets medium, fast etc.
Changing encoder from x264 to NVENC
Switching 41hz to 48hz in OBS
Updating Audio/Chipset/GPU/Capture Card Drivers
Updating and Loading Optimized Defaults in BIOS

Attached the log file from last time it happend.

I appreciate any suggestions to solve the problem.

Attachments

• 2019-11-29_18-21-16.txt
    21.9 KB · Views: 64

AWildRatBoi

Hey it's been over a month and a half and there are no responses on this thread, but I'm having similar issues, except only using a single PC and using the capture card to

carlmmii

If it's any consolation, I have yet to find any actual fix myself for capture card audio drift. This is a very common problem (which is very unfortunate for the rhythm game streaming community), and it is a problem with the capture card itself, nothing to do with OBS.

The only surefire solution I've found is to completely bypass the capture device's audio and send your audio signal directly to your computer via line in, or with a separate audio interface.

If you only have HDMI audio, you can get something called an "HDMI audio extractor", which is basically an HDMI passthrough with extra audio outputs. If you have optical audio available (such as with the xbox one), you can use a digital-to-analog converter box instead.

Serious_Hitman

If it's any consolation, I have yet to find any actual fix myself for capture card audio drift. This is a very common problem (which is very unfortunate for the rhythm game streaming community), and it is a problem with the capture card itself, nothing to do with OBS.

The only surefire solution I've found is to completely bypass the capture device's audio and send your audio signal directly to your computer via line in, or with a separate audio interface.

If you only have HDMI audio, you can get something called an "HDMI audio extractor", which is basically an HDMI passthrough with extra audio outputs. If you have optical audio available (such as with the xbox one), you can use a digital-to-analog converter box instead.
Thanks for the answer and suggestions. But I live far enough in Russia and getting these splitters will not be so simple and I’m afraid it will only complicate an already complicated setup. Getting capture cards was already an achievement. I did not check everything, but it seems that this is a problem in the AMD processor or in how the OBS works on it. Many programs on it do not work as they should on AMD, constant crashes in Autodesk applications, Adobe, and even Crysis does not start at all, some left-hand executables are needed, the level should be launched through the console... Madness. I assembled a third PC, Intel-based one, it’s old, slow, which at the same time eliminates the possibility that the problem is insufficient performance. I will check if it has the same problems and post my findings here after.

8runie

I am having this exact same issue. I'm using an Elgato 4k60pro mk2 in my streaming PC. I've been streaming fine since Dec 30+ hours per week, smooth as butter NO problems. All of the sudden 7 days ago (no software\hardware\or changes in OBS were made) I started losing audio shortly into my streams. After checking the log files I found that audio buffering is being added to my capture card until it fills and audio drops out, or is completely out of sync. My system CPU load stays around 30% and I'm only using 4gb out of the 16gb available in the streaming system.
I've been all over the OBS forums and Discord and nobody seems to know what is causing this. The system is hardly being utilized, so it's not the CPU, I have no clue. I'm exhausted after 7 days of 8 to 10 hours per day of troubleshooting.
Also, when I go into the device properties and deactivate and reactivate the capture card audio resumes as normal. I really wish someone knew how to fix this, because it's killed my stream, and according to what I've been reading... MANY others.

Serious_Hitman

I am having this exact same issue. I'm using an Elgato 4k60pro mk2 in my streaming PC. I've been streaming fine since Dec 30+ hours per week, smooth as butter NO problems. All of the sudden 7 days ago (no software\hardware\or changes in OBS were made) I started losing audio shortly into my streams. After checking the log files I found that audio buffering is being added to my capture card until it fills and audio drops out, or is completely out of sync. My system CPU load stays around 30% and I'm only using 4gb out of the 16gb available in the streaming system.
I've been all over the OBS forums and Discord and nobody seems to know what is causing this. The system is hardly being utilized, so it's not the CPU, I have no clue. I'm exhausted after 7 days of 8 to 10 hours per day of troubleshooting.
Also, when I go into the device properties and deactivate and reactivate the capture card audio resumes as normal. I really wish someone knew how to fix this, because it's killed my stream, and according to what I've been reading... MANY others.
May I ask for your system specis?

Tomasz Góral

Live Gamer HD 2 - use Uncompressed MJPEG this is probably a problem.
Live Gamer Ultra - use Uncompressed signal I've never had a problem.
LGP Lite - h.264 compressed after 15-30 minutes there is a sound desynchronization or a sound failure.

CrissN

May I ask for your system specis?
I've got the same issue here - pulling my hair out. 2016 MacBook Pro i7 2 core, 16gb, OS 10.15.3. Capture card is a Magwelle HDMI Capture Plus. It's absolutely maddening that MANY people are having this issue and no one is finding a solution. I have tested recording a GoPro direct to the Magewell into computer capture - all is fine. Issue only seems to happen when encoding with OBS.

8runie

The only thing I haven't tried is reinstalling Windows on the streaming PC. Did you try this? If so, did it work? I've exhausted every troubleshooting idea I've had\been given. I've been going non stop for 9 days and I'm beginning to feel like I'm losing my mind.
I can't believe nobody knows why this is happening. Furthermore, why it's exclusive to OBS.

Serious_Hitman

The only thing I haven't tried is reinstalling Windows on the streaming PC. Did you try this? If so, did it work? I've exhausted every troubleshooting idea I've had\been given. I've been going non stop for 9 days and I'm beginning to feel like I'm losing my mind.
I can't believe nobody knows why this is happening. Furthermore, why it's exclusive to OBS.
I tried reinstalling windows, it doesn’t solve anything. I have a suspicion that this is somehow related to AMD processors.

8runie

I’m quite sure that capture card has nothing to do with it. Its OBS, like i said, i have 2 different capture cards, both have problems, аnd I only have this problem on my AMD computer.
No, AMD isn't at fault. I just fixed my issue, I streamed all day yesterday, and 12 hours the day before with ZERO desync or audio drops. The issue (for me at least) was the latest driver from Elgato for the 4k60pro mk.2 uninstall the driver from the device manager in windows and install this version : https://edge.elgato.com/egc/windows/drivers/4k60-pro-mk2/Game_Capture_4K60_Pro_MK2_1.1.0.187.2.exe

8runie

Hello, I recently built a second computer for streaming and I started to have problems with audio sync inside OBS. The wierdest thing is that the problem shows up only after 1~2 hrs of streaming. Before that, I also used capture cards on my main computer and everything was fine. Going back to single PC setup is not an option. Well... unless of course this problem finally drives me crazy.

I have 3 different capture cards in my system:
Elgato 4k Pro
AverMedia Live Gamer II
AverMedia c127 gamecaster (didn't used it yet)

2 cards (Elgato 4k and AVM LGII) have these problems.

Clicking "Deactivate" and then "Activate" button fixes the audio. But cmon, shutting down gameplay every hour just to get audio fixed is not a solution, its just bad and like i said, i don't have this issue at all on my main PC.
I also found out if i change buffering mode from "auto-detect" or "enabled" to "disabled" fixes the audio. So i figured may be that was the problem i decided to disable the buffering - audio still desyncs, funny part is that now if i want to fix it i have to ENABLE and then disable the buffering. Both options will cause image to freeze for a few seconds, so no, this is not a solution either.

Streaming PC specs:
AMD Ryzen 1700
ASUS Prime x370 - PRO
NVIDIA GTX 970
16 Gb Ram

Main PC specs (PC that does not have this issue)
intel i9 9900K
ASUS ROG Strix z390-f
RTX 2080 ti
32 Gb of Ram

What i have already tried:
Changing encoder presets medium, fast etc.
Changing encoder from x264 to NVENC
Switching 41hz to 48hz in OBS
Updating Audio/Chipset/GPU/Capture Card Drivers
Updating and Loading Optimized Defaults in BIOS

Attached the log file from last time it happend.

I appreciate any suggestions to solve the problem.
I solved the issue with the Elgato 4k60pro mk.2, the latest driver form Egato is borked. Download and install this one https://edge.elgato.com/egc/windows/drivers/4k60-pro-mk2/Game_Capture_4K60_Pro_MK2_1.1.0.187.2.exe

8runie

The latest driver from Elgato for the 4k60pro mk.2 is trash, here is a link to a working driver : https://edge.elgato.com/egc/windows/drivers/4k60-pro-mk2/Game_Capture_4K60_Pro_MK2_1.1.0.187.2.exe

Serious_Hitman

The latest driver from Elgato for the 4k60pro mk.2 is trash, here is a link to a working driver : https://edge.elgato.com/egc/windows/drivers/4k60-pro-mk2/Game_Capture_4K60_Pro_MK2_1.1.0.187.2.exe
Unfortunately, for me this does not solve the problem. I already tried that as i said in my first post. And besides the elgato, in my system there is also avermedia, what should I do with it? And this does not explain why there are no such problems with the same drivers on another system.

Serious_Hitman

Send me a logfile where this issue happens and I will try and help you.
I attached the log file to the initial post. I posted the problem back in November last year, I abandoned 2 PC setup long time ago because of this. But I'm still interested in a solution.