Question / Help Capture audio direct from Google Hangouts Meet, bypassing computer mic?

sunnivie

Hi all - I run the digital platforms for a national nonprofit multimedia network, and we've been using OBS (currently OBS version 23.0.1 on MacOS Mojave 10.14.4) to facilitate remote live split-screen interviews on Facebook Live. We usually have our guests join a Google Hangouts Meet, then route that through OBS for output to Facebook Live. Generally it's been a success.

My question is this: Is it possible to capture audio directly from a Google Chrome/Hangouts Meet window, rather than using my laptop's built-in microphone to capture the output of that window?

For an upcoming FB Live conversation, I will be live-switching the video in Google Hangouts, but I will not be on-camera or speaking, and don't want my clicking and typing to be picked up on the FB Live audio output. I want to solely capture the audio coming from those speaking in the Google Hangout, but if I mute or disable my built-in microphone, I lose the audio output to FB Live. All advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Narcogen

Are you actually capturing the audio from the computer's speakers using the computer's on mic? Because that would sound pretty terrible.

Capture of desktop audio on MacOS requires third party software:

How to capture desktop audio on Mac

I suggest LoopBack, as I use it myself and have had excellent results. It may be overkill for your purposes, so you may find iShowU capture or SoundFlower to be enough.