Basic Suggestions List

maravilla

Hi I'm not sure this has been suggested already, but this thread is enormous lol
But it'd be great if you could slip a "double-click-opens-source-properties" feature in the next release. Quick and very useful.
KUTGW

ColterTV

Heres another

When you select a source and try to move it, if you have another source in the same place but in a upper layer, you can't grab the source you wanted, instead you end up selecting the upper source anyway

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
ah, yes, that's indeed a very annoying problem. I'll try to fix it somehow

Tony32

Jim said:
you can right click the preview to turn it off at the moment -- hopefully I can make these things a bit more visible in future updates
aha, sweet! Didn't know that. Thanks :)

pwinky

Hi just a suggestion. Whenever I launch OBS it doesn't remember the last position (coordinates) the window was in when I closed it. It'd be nice if it did as I have 2 monitors and don't always turn on the other one. Not a high priority feature I guess.

DarkHalf

A deinterlace filter would be a top priority for me. I spent about half an hour setting up OBS, its went perfectly, and got it streaming to twitch in 1080, with great perfomance, only to remember that my capture card (Blackmagic Intensity Pro) of course outputs 1080i @ 30fps! I was so close to replacing XSplit with an application that works brilliantly, is open source, and has a user interface that makes overlaying easy.

Please please please add a deinterlacer soon! Doesn't have to be amazing with motion comp, field discard would do for a start. I'm pretty sure directshow will allow this to be specified and run on the GPU (perhaps by wrapping the output in another graph used as an intermediary) (idea from http://www.gdcl.co.uk/gmfbridge/index.htm )

Anyway, love this program.

Thanks.

Muf

Forum Moderator
It should be fairly easy to deinterlace using a pixel shader. Extrapolating to 60fps (showing both fields alternating) would probably be a bit more complex.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
The BMI pro should be able to do 1080p at 24 FPS if I recall correctly, that's probably a lot better looking than 1080i30.

DarkHalf

R1CH said:
The BMI pro should be able to do 1080p at 24 FPS if I recall correctly, that's probably a lot better looking than 1080i30.

It does, but only if you give it 1080p 24 as a source. I am using the NVidia Control Panel to clone my video output. I've got a Dell 24" 1080p monitor at 60Hz on DVI, which I clone to the HDMI output, which is directly connected to the HDMI input on the BMI card. Attempting to aquire a video capture stream at anything other than 1080i60 gives you a black screen. I've tried various hardware and software solutions to this, and this is the best I've got right now. The BMI card is essentially a high spec FPGA (a spartan IIRC) doing MJPEG compression from a framebuffer.

I have until now been using XSplit for live streaming (only the free version) and mostly using virtual dub with some custom stuff I wrote, for gameplay capture. Then manually deinterlacing with tomsmocomp (or whatever) and scaling to 720p (AVISynth scripts etc), titling in vegas and upping to youtube.

The capture card was originally intended for use with the HDMI output from HDV cameras, to let people use the full 16:9 output (HDV only records in 4:3 from what I can tell), so I realise I'm outside standard operation, but its a few years old now and still working well. This was an upgrade from using a Haup hardware MPEG2 card with SD input.

Gorgatron

Anyone besides Jim test the AverMedia C985? I'm thinking of getting it to capture since I use a i7 2600k cpu. Here is my monitor setup if it causes any concern.

560ti > Asus 120hz monitor (games)
8800gts > 2x 60hz monitors (crap)

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Gorgatron -- C985 is one of the devices I originally bought to test with, so if anything works with it, it'd be the C985

Gorgatron

Jim said:
Gorgatron -- C985 is one of the devices I originally bought to test with, so if anything works with it, it'd be the C985
I remember you telling me. I was just curious if I could still run my main monitor at 120hz while mirroring with the capture card. I'm not sure if you have tried this so I figure I see if someone else has a similar situation. Avermedia told me I couldn't 'capture' or 'record' in 120hz so I don't think they understood my question?

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
You know, I don't quite know if it has that limitation. You might want to try a google search, or email them directly to ask if that's the case

Gorgatron

Jim said:
You know, I don't quite know if it has that limitation. You might want to try a google search, or email them directly to ask if that's the case
I'm looking around but it seems AverMedia never tried this. Thanks for your inquiry earlier though. I stopped using FFsplit about 2-3 weeks ago. I look forward to the improvements for OBS.

micechal

My suggestion is to give us the ability of choosing our ownx264 encoder exe file. There can be many x264 builds, for example accelerated with OpenCL and then we could use whichever we want :)

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
You'd need a DLL, an x264 exe can't encode like that unless you pipe in and out of stdin/stdout or something equally horrible and inefficient. The OpenCL x264 builds really don't offer much in the way of performance improvement though.