Automate 24/7 Stream for a scheduled Playlist

bcoyle

I just spent a couple days installing different playouts - Sofie - RedCast - Folderplaylist - CMD (I think was the name) (all using Casper CG server) and I also installed the one from the front of this thread OBS Scheduler & of course Advanced Scene Switcher.

After having had a heck of a time getting Sofie installed and the others - they all turned out to be too geared toward broadcast TV and were a pain in the butt to setup (sofie especially)

Also most if not all the interfaces were created by programmers so they pretty much look like someone threw up the interface after having an all-night bender.

So after all that I stumbled across RadioBoss - which as its name implies is for creating a radio broadcast playlist -it appears to have recently added Video output and after testing it works perfectly with OBS game capture - and I'm able to schedule everything as I wanted. Ads -Jingles- Scheduling - it's all laid out with a clean inteface.

For overlays I'm using ADVANCED OBS SCENE Switcher (need more testing) - But this combo appears to be the easiest solution currently available. Just thought I'd share my findings.
-Endo
Hi Endo. Thanks so much for this input. I've heard of radio boss before and knew that it was a radio scheduler , and I think I heard about the video but not sure. If this works as well as you say, this would be great news for everyone. I started the other day to record a demo of the current state of my program. I've found that hand waving doesn't really cut it when trying to explain it to others.. My first cut at the video turned out making me look like I was half asleep. LOL. I'm an ex programmer and know how hard it is to make a good interface. Basically since I'm trying to start a public access station, I've written the program for all the things I want, specially to make my life easier. I've always told everyone to not wait for me, specially if you have something that works, even if not optimal.

One of the problems that I had with your design was the requirement to edit the schedule without interfering/stopping the current playing program. I did work out that I could do this with links (.lnk). Using shortcut-links (my program understand links), I could get my program to find the real filename, get it going and then you could add or destroy links without problems.

I mentioned using TOD as time of day metadata tag. This is how I planed on using it. Essentially I would have a file system that had directories with TOD in the name. When I created the templates, I would refer to one of them. When actually "PLAYING" the scheduled program, I would navigate through the directory tree, using the TOD to find the valid contents for the current run time. If the time was 9am, it would use the contents of the directory marked with TOD=0900. This directory might have the title of the program for 9am in a text file. In obs a label can be read from a file. So the same templates could create 200 different shows using all the correct time based titles and programs. Of course, there would be a TOD directory for every hour or even half hour. Anyways, that's how I was going to do it. Push one button and create the schedule for the next year. Just change links as you added different videos next week/real time. The "RAW" directory would have the real videos in them. Cool!

1623644351479.png

bcoyle

I just spent a couple days installing different playouts - Sofie - RedCast - Folderplaylist - CMD (I think was the name) (all using Casper CG server) and I also installed the one from the front of this thread OBS Scheduler & of course Advanced Scene Switcher.

After having had a heck of a time getting Sofie installed and the others - they all turned out to be too geared toward broadcast TV and were a pain in the butt to setup (sofie especially)

Also most if not all the interfaces were created by programmers so they pretty much look like someone threw up the interface after having an all-night bender.

So after all that I stumbled across RadioBoss - which as its name implies is for creating a radio broadcast playlist -it appears to have recently added Video output and after testing it works perfectly with OBS game capture - and I'm able to schedule everything as I wanted. Ads -Jingles- Scheduling - it's all laid out with a clean inteface.

For overlays I'm using ADVANCED OBS SCENE Switcher (need more testing) - But this combo appears to be the easiest solution currently available. Just thought I'd share my findings.
-Endo
Hi Endo. Took a look at radio boss and it is powerful. Glad it's working out for you. I can see how you would automate videos to run at certain times on a 24/7 basis, but how do you plan to automate scene-switcher over a week or more?

bcoyle

This place was booming a few weeks ago. Everyone still alive?
Well I'm still here, but you are right, people don't seem that interested. Maybe they just come in waves! Have found that at least half leave if we have no solution for them (at this time). Some have already found a solution that works for them and are kind enough to tell us their experience, giving everyone more options. The 24/7s are actually a minority compared to gamers and video djs. This forum is great for tricks, tips and some of the clever apps, that people have contributed. One thing I thought of the other day was education. If high school/colleges had a good app that they could use so that students could take a course in creating/running a 24/7 station, that would be a worthy application. I know, I have talked to you before, but it's been a while.

bcoyle

We are all interested in 24/7. But we know that that requires a lot of material to keep from repeating yourself. What do YOU think about creating a group/network/archive of material that we can use for fill material. For example, local basketball games from around the country, travel videos, local community events (even if not your community). Sort of mutual support. I realize that two people in the same area, might not want to share hard earned material, but most of us are separated. Any thoughts?

thedarkcocoman

Hello just read a few of the pages(its late at night after a hard days work) but I kind of understand what is being done. After I read through all the other pages ill hopefully have a better understanding.
But from the 2 videos I have seen from @bcoyle especially the Jack Benny Program was something I could use. Even though ill be using OBS primarily for music but when I'm not streaming I would want to broadcast my music 24/7 with self edited videos. If it cant be edited live that's ok with with me. The live broadcast can be the simple overlays where I and making the music will be the focus. But when I am not on this can be a good way to keep things going.
So I'll be getting to bed and hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to read through all this.

bcoyle

Hello just read a few of the pages(its late at night after a hard days work) but I kind of understand what is being done. After I read through all the other pages ill hopefully have a better understanding.
But from the 2 videos I have seen from @bcoyle especially the Jack Benny Program was something I could use. Even though ill be using OBS primarily for music but when I'm not streaming I would want to broadcast my music 24/7 with self edited videos. If it cant be edited live that's ok with with me. The live broadcast can be the simple overlays where I and making the music will be the focus. But when I am not on this can be a good way to keep things going.
So I'll be getting to bed and hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to read through all this.
were you able to read it all? What I am doing is a bit different. As you can see, the first video is a music video. You can run these real time or / and record for later use.

Last edited:

gblixen

Hi there !
regards from uruguay ...
We start a TV chanel bassed on our old radio.
We also searching a PlayOut. Actualy we use Insta-Playout on a DELL notebook .. but we dont like the scheculing capabilites.
We love RADIO BOSS and the magic he can do with automatization of Audio ... I realize that it can play videos in a Window .. but it dont have NDI support to comunicate with our local network and OBS ... So in OBS we must capture the RadioBoss window .. but it happened at the window size !! .. if the window is to small .. the transmision sucks !!
But if we put the RadioBoss on other HiRes monitor and we capture that window .. we can do very well ...
Its only an idea .. but not a final solution ...
We still search a good PlayOut or a GOOD PLUGins to schedule programs for OBS ...

bcoyle

Hi there !
regards from uruguay ...
We start a TV chanel bassed on our old radio.
We also searching a PlayOut. Actualy we use Insta-Playout on a DELL notebook .. but we dont like the scheculing capabilites.
We love RADIO BOSS and the magic he can do with automatization of Audio ... I realize that it can play videos in a Window .. but it dont have NDI support to comunicate with our local network and OBS ... So in OBS we must capture the RadioBoss window .. but it happened at the window size !! .. if the window is to small .. the transmision sucks !!
But if we put the RadioBoss on other HiRes monitor and we capture that window .. we can do very well ...
Its only an idea .. but not a final solution ...
We still search a good PlayOut or a GOOD PLUGins to schedule programs for OBS ...
Hi There
Good to hear from another 24/7er. If you go back in the thread, you'll find another 2 people that are using radio boss and if you contact them, they may have some ideas for you. Me, myself am writing a 24/7 app. Not done yet

gblixen

Hi There
Good to hear from another 24/7er. If you go back in the thread, you'll find another 2 people that are using radio boss and if you contact them, they may have some ideas for you. Me, myself am writing a 24/7 app. Not done yet

Writing? ... amazing!
We´ll be expected you finish ... or maybe you want beta testers !!
Thank you the feed, I´m going search about radioBoss !!
SeeY

bcoyle

Writing? ... amazing!
We´ll be expected you finish ... or maybe you want beta testers !!
Thank you the feed, I´m going search about radioBoss !!
SeeY
So what kind of station are you running. How about a URl so we can go see it.

next007apple

I Created Small App that Get Video from Excel (I mean play video from excel based on time)
you just need excel file

you can stream video whole year automation!
if you are interested then contact me > unitedzon.com (talk to jennifer)

next007apple

(some minor bugs, but i'm working on it)

will complete in 2week (for radio broadcasting and video broadcasting )
when project complete i will post reply here!