Question / Help Any way to have a second output/program available to transition to?

jamiphar

I've been using OBS Studio to manage a stream for a small church group. In addition to the program output sent to the viewers, there is a local display that receives a different output from OBS sources (Bible verses, lyrics, etc.). Right now, I just right-click on a the respective scene and choose fullscreen projector to send it to the local screen without changing what goes out on the stream. It would be tremendously useful for me if I could have the local screen (fullscreen projector) available as a second program box and be able to transition from the preview to this second output just like I can with the existing stream output. Is there any way to do that now? I have version 24.0.3 and I'm on Windows 10.

koala

For the projector feature, you are not limited to the projector of the current stream preview. You can right-click every scene, every group and even every source and output it on the projector. Just prepare a scene that contains your bible verses, right-click it and use it as projector. The scene doesn't ever need to be the active scene.

jamiphar

Right. So that's how I'm doing it now. The thing is, I have to right-click and choose to project to that screen every time I want to switch scenes on the projector. It'd be nice if I could have the scene on-deck and then transition to and from it like I can with the program box.

Narcogen

If you're in studio mode, you can make a projector of the Program window, and then that output will follow the output the stream viewers get.

EDIT: I misunderstood the OP. Clarification below.

Last edited:

Harvey S

If you use the full screen projector in the Preview window. Then any scene that you click will be sent to the display in the room without the need to select projector each time.

Narcogen

If the two outputs need to be different, though, that won't work.

In Studio mode, my suggestion would make the local and remote outputs the same, but that's not what the OP wants.

In studio mode, Harvey's suggestion of making a projector from the Preview window will work, as it allows different local and remote outputs.

However, in studio mode there's no real convenient way to use OBS as a hot switcher. It expects that you select a scene to Preview, and then click a Transition button to cut that image to Program. Then you can change the Preview output.

This means you can't change the output of the stream for remote viewers without interrupting the local feed.

Other software (vmix) allows for independent control of the Preview and Program feeds, but AFAIK OBS does not.

jamiphar

Yes, that's a good explanation of what I'm dealing with. Thanks! I wonder if a hot-switching feature for individual outputs (stream, program, projector, etc.) could be added easily as a feature or a plug-in.

EDIT: An alternative might be to find a way to assign a hotkey for the projector functions, maybe with AutoHotKey or something else. I plan to buy an X-Keys XK-24 to use as an external dedicated control board for OBS functions, and this would be a great feature to be able to use it for.

Last edited:

DavidKMagnus

I've been using OBS Studio to manage a stream for a small church group. In addition to the program output sent to the viewers, there is a local display that receives a different output from OBS sources (Bible verses, lyrics, etc.). Right now, I just right-click on a the respective scene and choose fullscreen projector to send it to the local screen without changing what goes out on the stream. It would be tremendously useful for me if I could have the local screen (fullscreen projector) available as a second program box and be able to transition from the preview to this second output just like I can with the existing stream output. Is there any way to do that now? I have version 24.0.3 and I'm on Windows 10.

I've been running the live stream + in-person service at my church as well.
We had the same use case, wanting to send the PowerPoint to both the stream and the projector.

I wrote a Lua script to add hotkeys for opening projectors, you can find it here:
https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/projector-hotkeys.1197/ (not sure if this is approved yet!)

This way we can easily keep the in-room projector on the PowerPoint until wanting to switch to a pre-recorded video with a single button press.