Any best settings or recommended best old versions in obs (for record and stream)

koala

Your machine is well below minimum requirements for OBS. Its "Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N3060 @ 1.60GHz" CPU just isn't powerful enough to get reasonably good quality video. It's probably the weakest CPU someone could buy within the last 10 years.

Mars_

Your machine is well below minimum requirements for OBS. Its "Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N3060 @ 1.60GHz" CPU just isn't powerful enough to get reasonably good quality video. It's probably the weakest CPU someone could buy within the last 10 years.
ok, but Is there anyway to record without a gaming and using a best lower version that i can use? (like recording a chrome tab or something)

Last edited:

qhobbes

Possibly, but you need make some changes:
1. You are running Windows 10 20H2, which has not been supported by Microsoft since May 2022. We recommend updating to the latest Windows release to ensure continued security, functionality, and compatibility. DO THIS FIRST.
2. We recommend that "Game Mode" be enabled for maximum gaming performance. Game Mode can be enabled via the Windows 10 "Settings" app, under Gaming > Game Mode.
3. Change your output resolution to 1280x720 and set your framerate to 30.
4. Do not use Display Capture unless you need to capture Windows stuff. Use Game/Window/Video capture source etc. to build your scene.
5. Your N3060 does support Quick Sync Video (QSV) so you should use that instead of x264. You may need to use an older version of OBS. You can download 29 from https://github.com/obsproject/obs-studio/releases/tag/29.1.3 or replace the .dll from previous working version. See https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/mfx_err_unsupported-qsv-failed-to-load.163141/#post-634493
6. If you need to record something from the web, try using a browser source first and leave Chrome closed.

Mars_

You are running Windows 10 20H2, which has not been supported by Microsoft since May 2022. We recommend updating to the latest Windows release to ensure continued security, functionality, and compatibility. DO THIS FIRST.
my mom wouldnt let me do that cuz she thinks it will harm my laptop for good, now what do i do?

qhobbes

Ask your mom why she thinks it's a good idea to use an outdated operating system with known security vulnerabilities.

A braking system on any vehicle only adds additional weight which harms top performance and fuel milage. This means that brake systems should be removed. This is the logic she is using.

Lawrence_SoCal

my mom wouldnt let me do that cuz she thinks it will harm my laptop for good, now what do i do?
Hopefully you were clear on updating to latest supported Windows 10 release... not Windows 11 (which I'm guessing your computer isn't offering to begin with, but just in case, for the moment .... I'm avoiding the hot mess of Win11 for the time being as I don't have a specific need for it... I suspect a new computer later this year will effectively require Win11... but other discussion)

Then in addition to qhobbes excellent suggestions, the next step may be learning how to 'optimize' an under-powered computer. There are numerous default settings in modern operating systems (Windows, MacOS, etc) that are more 'eye candy' than functionality related, and those features suck up CPU and RAM. And there are processes running which you may not need. BUT.... beware YouTube and similar recommendations from folks who have NO idea what they are talking about (and there are a LOT of those)... you can truly mess up your system if you aren't deliberate, careful, well-researched and have a backout plan [ie, you could end up having to do a fresh OS install, with all that implies, which includes possibly losing some data, if not careful]
And make sure you have Exited (turned off) applications not in use, reboot at least weekly (I reboot daily), etc
All of this is to make sure you computer is using as much of its hardware resources for the OBS Studio processing as possible (with under-powered system) vs other/unnecessary processes

Mars_

BUT.... beware YouTube and similar recommendations from folks who have NO idea what they are talking about (and there are a LOT of those)...
umm, i did that when im using optimizer app and some debloater app on YT i use, is this gonna harm my potato laptop? if yes, then what should i do?

Lawrence_SoCal

My approach ... which many reasonably won't follow... is to avoid the overly broad easy-button type solutions, and instead take time to educate myself on options and implications, and adjust settings, registry accordingly.

A good starting point for OS optimization is to review enterprise focused VDI deployment docs, with caveat that some of the suggested settings won't apply for home/gamer/streamer user on local desktop OS