Resource icon

Advanced Scene Switcher 1.25.5

Sally S.

That depends entirely on the streaming service you use, as each has service (ex YT, FB, Twitch, etc) has its own process (other than relatively standard input streaming protocols, and even there they differed on preferred values/settings) there is NOTHING standard across free consumer 'broadcast' services. Then it depends on things like
- did you pre-schedule the video 'broadcast'? or is this 'ad-hoc'?
- or you going low-security route with persistent stream key?
- etc
Personally, all of my streams are pre-scheduled. And I change a handful of settings/values with each stream, though there probably over 100+ values I could be adjusting (from streaming services 'broadcast' setup portal). And those stream settings options have changed significantly over time

some people go simple... ad-hoc, same settings, no description, etc for every broadcast. Others are far more sophisticated. And that is ALL controlled at streaming service, and has nothing to do with stream being sent (there is no standard H.264/H.265/AV1 metadata for streaming services to grab such broadcast settings from). So, you have to set all of those stream details at streaming service, or the service has to have an flushed out API with all typical settings available (if API isn't complete, reliable, secure, etc, it will get ignored... see above comment on stream settings changing significantly over time). And then publish/advertise so that software developers (OBS Studio, 3rd party plugin authors like this ADvSS by the amazing @Warmuptill, or other streaming related software) will support those APIs.

All of this to say, that is not a simple question. it actually gets complicated rather quickly, and this being the free, open-source world doesn't help. Especially when it comes to 'free' streaming services.

So, when considering that stream settings aren't static, and change rates vary by streaming service, and some manual input typically required regardless (stream title), whether one enters that in streaming service portal, or within streaming software, doesn't make that much difference. I see where it would be convenient... but I also see why streaming services have focused their efforts elsewhere for the time being.
Thank you! Apparently I am more beginner than I thought!
But I don't mind a persistent stream key. I am trying to run 2 live stream of pre recorded videos on the same YouTube channel. They are different videos each has one scene only. They would overlap for some time. Would a single stream key do? Hoping it is easier to deal with this AdvSS.

Sally S.

I don't think that's possible. @Warmuptill can give a better answer on that than I can, but it requires the server end to support that too (YouTube, Facebook, Twitch, wherever you stream to), not just Adv. SS. If the server doesn't support doing that automatically, then it must be manual. I remember when YouTube had a much better remote control API than it does now, and they killed it to get rid of spambots...

What you might do though, is not create a separate broadcast every time, but reuse the default one. That's what I do. You lose the automatic announcement to your audience that you're going to stream at <this time>, but my audience knows the schedule anyway and doesn't need that.

I also stream about 15 minutes of "leader" before the actual start time as I see it, just for people to find it and see that their end works. Some sort of changing graphic that includes the actual start time, and some sort of sound. And about 10 minutes of "trailer" (silent still image), to let them leave on their own before getting kicked off.

Anyway, I just start throwing data at it, and the stream starts. Stop the data, and YouTube times out and resets, ready for the next one. Easy as that. Same key. And I do use the stream key; OBS is *not* logged into my account.
Thank you AaronD.
It always shows up when I am not logged in. I need to be logged in and having the stream key entered so it disappears.
Now I am trying to run a couple of overlapping Youtube streams on a channel and schedule that with AdvSS. I am trying a couple of profiles each runs on a separate instance of OBS. One isn't asking for the broadcast set up as I am logged in and got the stream key set, but the other keeps asking for it.

kapout

I try to install the plugin inside the folder from a different way using the obs menu. But it crash the software everytime i lauch it. When i remove the plugin, obs works again. Strange...

Attachments

• 2024-03-27 14-11-13.txt
    3.7 KB · Views: 6

Warmuptill

Yes no problem.
This one did not show the plugin being loaded at all.
I try to install the plugin inside the folder from a different way using the obs menu. But it crash the software everytime i lauch it. When i remove the plugin, obs works again. Strange...
Here the plugin is loaded.
Can you please share the crash report? (So the huge amount of text Apple puts into that dialog box reporting that an application has crashed.)

Warmuptill

Yes here it is
Thanks! :)

Have you or some tool you are running modified the files (accidentally)?
The reason of the crash is that the signature of one of the files the advanced scene switcher is trying to load does not seem to match any more:
Code:
Termination Reason:    Namespace CODESIGNING, Code 2

The quick and dirty solution (if you don't need the Twitch functionality) is to simply delete the advanced-scene-switcher-twitch.so file or manually resign the plugin it by running this command in a terminal:
Code:
codesign --force --deep --sign - ~/Library/Application\ Support/obs-studio/plugins/advanced-scene-switcher.plugin

kapout

Have you or some tool you are running modified the files (accidentally)?
I don't know, i learn the software for the moment, because Twitch studio is to limited for me (and ending support on mac)
I don't think i have modify something, just install some plugin. OBS launch when i remove the Scene Switcher plugin.

The terminal command work perfectly. Thanks !
When you say "if you don't need the Twitch functionality" it's not possible to stream on Twitch after ? Because yes that's the goal ^^

Warmuptill

I don't know, i learn the software for the moment, because Twitch studio is to limited for me (and ending support on mac)
I don't think i have modify something, just install some plugin. OBS launch when i remove the Scene Switcher plugin.

The terminal command work perfectly. Thanks !
When you say "if you don't need the Twitch functionality" it's not possible to stream on Twitch after ? Because yes that's the goal ^^
If you run the command in the terminal then you can use everything :)
Just if you would have removed the file I mentioned the Twitch functionality would not work.

kapout

Ok i understand. That's perfect. Thank you very much for your help and your time Warmuptill.
I can continue to play with OBS now ^^

Default_User

Good find!
That is a bug and was not intended to be the case.

A build with a fix will be available here in a few minutes:
You will have to be logged into GitHub to be able to download it.
Let me know if that should be an issue and I try to share it with you via other means!

Sorry about that!
Unfortunately, I need a bit more information:

Which OS are you using?
What exactly is not working?
Does the plugin not function any more or is it not showing up in OBS at all?

In case of the former can you please provide more information about what you have set up?
In case of the latter can you please share on OBS log (with the plugin installed)?
Fast and effective, works like a charm, its truly random now !

This will save me so much time each day !

Thank you once again for the plugin and continous support !

Gunthrek

So as I've stated in the past, and I'm certainly grateful for the update that resulted from it, I'm trying to remove all need for video editing for my gaming channel, and the only thing left would be to figure out a way to do timelapses as I record rather than having to use editing software to do it. In my mind, it seems like it should be as simple as having the software take every Xth frame, save it to the file and then discard the rest. I haven't been able to find a plugin that can do that, but I was experimenting with making a macro that can record .01 seconds of video every X seconds, and it sort of works but is either very jerky when I'm trying to really speed up time or doesn't really speed through the gameplay very fast. If I record .01 seconds of video every 3 seconds, it looks like it's just jumping forward, but if I go down to less than a second it's not much faster than real time.

I think the limitation might be the .01 limit on how short we can make the wait command work. If we could get a .001 or .0001 value for wait commands, and I could have the macro wait say .5 seconds and record .001 seconds of video, that might close the gap to make it look smoother and still drastically speed up the timelapse.

Thoughts? I'm sure there's a flaw in my logic somewhere, or someone would have come up with a solution by now.

AaronD

So as I've stated in the past, and I'm certainly grateful for the update that resulted from it, I'm trying to remove all need for video editing for my gaming channel, and the only thing left would be to figure out a way to do timelapses as I record rather than having to use editing software to do it. In my mind, it seems like it should be as simple as having the software take every Xth frame, save it to the file and then discard the rest. I haven't been able to find a plugin that can do that, but I was experimenting with making a macro that can record .01 seconds of video every X seconds, and it sort of works but is either very jerky when I'm trying to really speed up time or doesn't really speed through the gameplay very fast. If I record .01 seconds of video every 3 seconds, it looks like it's just jumping forward, but if I go down to less than a second it's not much faster than real time.

I think the limitation might be the .01 limit on how short we can make the wait command work. If we could get a .001 or .0001 value for wait commands, and I could have the macro wait say .5 seconds and record .001 seconds of video, that might close the gap to make it look smoother and still drastically speed up the timelapse.

Thoughts? I'm sure there's a flaw in my logic somewhere, or someone would have come up with a solution by now.
I think a timelapse feature really needs to implemented directly in OBS, not in a plugin, and then expose that for a plugin to simply say, "do it." As of now, I'm pretty sure OBS just doesn't do that.

Conceptually, it's not hard - just like you say, take every Xth frame and throw away the rest, as the absolute last step before the encoder, and run the encoder with that as if they were consecutive frames at the normal rate (DSP functions care nothing about actual time, only samples, and for video, each frame can be thought of as a sample) - but it needs to be done in the right place to avoid making a massive mess of it.

I'd recommend hitting up the core OBS developers to see if they could add a temporary timelapse.

AaronD

Thank you AaronD.
It always shows up when I am not logged in. I need to be logged in and having the stream key entered so it disappears.
Now I am trying to run a couple of overlapping Youtube streams on a channel and schedule that with AdvSS. I am trying a couple of profiles each runs on a separate instance of OBS. One isn't asking for the broadcast set up as I am logged in and got the stream key set, but the other keeps asking for it.
You're sending two separate things to two separate streams, on the same YT account, from the same computer? That's two separate things that most of us don't do - two streams on one account, and two streams from the same computer - so support will probably be a bit thin just for that reason.

Also, the details that you gave (and I quoted here), are a bit confusing to me. There are two things happening at the same time, and you use the singular "it"...

Can you at least clarify which does what? Maybe a solution pops out anyway...

Gunthrek

I think a timelapse feature really needs to implemented directly in OBS, not in a plugin, and then expose that for a plugin to simply say, "do it." As of now, I'm pretty sure OBS just doesn't do that.

Conceptually, it's not hard - just like you say, take every Xth frame and throw away the rest, as the absolute last step before the encoder, and run the encoder with that as if they were consecutive frames at the normal rate (DSP functions care nothing about actual time, only samples, and for video, each frame can be thought of as a sample) - but it needs to be done in the right place to avoid making a massive mess of it.

I'd recommend hitting up the core OBS developers to see if they could add a temporary timelapse.
Agreed, but part of what I'm thinking is being able to run music at the same time. If I can have a track that pauses and unpauses with the video, I might be able to add background music if it's close enough to sound seamless. Have the macro pause/unpause both recording and the music track.

AaronD

Agreed, but part of what I'm thinking is being able to run music at the same time. If I can have a track that pauses and unpauses with the video, I might be able to add background music if it's close enough to sound seamless. Have the macro pause/unpause both recording and the music track.
It's...possible...to chop up audio like that, but I think you'll hate the result! And I think the sync in post will be a lot harder than you think. I think you'll just end up replacing the audio anyway, at least for that section. And if you have a post step anyway, maybe you can just continue to do the timelapse in there.

Or, I guess there could be a speedshift function in there, like YouTube does for the 2x speed setting. That's not just dropping samples though. The algorithm is of course based on the original data, but the result is closer to a whole new soundtrack that only sounds like the original. Wouldn't be surprised if YT does that for video too, not just audio.

AaronD

...I was experimenting with making a macro that can record .01 seconds of video every X seconds, and it sort of works but is either very jerky when I'm trying to really speed up time or doesn't really speed through the gameplay very fast. If I record .01 seconds of video every 3 seconds, it looks like it's just jumping forward, but if I go down to less than a second it's not much faster than real time.
Going back to your original post, I wonder if .01 is too short. Try 1/fps instead, for one whole frame time. So 30fps would be 0.0333... seconds per frame, 60fps would be 0.01666...7, 50fps is 0.02, etc.

Might not make much of a difference, but worth trying at least.

Also consider that the shortest scan interval of Adv. SS is 50ms, or 0.05 seconds. (top of the General tab) That's how often it scans the macro conditions and starts the macros that evaluate to TRUE. I think the Wait actions can be shorter, but I don't actually know that.

Gunthrek

Going back to your original post, I wonder if .01 is too short. Try 1/fps instead, for one whole frame time. So 30fps would be 0.0333... seconds per frame, 60fps would be 0.01666...7, 50fps is 0.02, etc.

Might not make much of a difference, but worth trying at least.

Also consider that the shortest scan interval of Adv. SS is 50ms, or 0.05 seconds. (top of the General tab) That's how often it scans the macro conditions and starts the macros that evaluate to TRUE. I think the Wait actions can be shorter, but I don't actually know that.
I wanted to do 0.016 at 60 FPS, but the wait parameter only goes down to 0.01, so I have to either pick that or 0.02. I can certainly try doubling the record time and see how that goes. Thanks!

Rozenman

Hi all!
First of all, deepest gratitude to the developer of the plugin that turns OBS into a powerful online teaching tool.
I finally figured out the variables, but I have a question: the five variables that I created appeared not only in the list of variables, but also in the list of sources (in the lists of the plugin, not in OBS itself). Is that how it's meant to be? Was this done on purpose or did it happen by accident?
Thanks!

Rozenman

UPD: Also, deleted variables remain in these lists, and if such a variable is accidentally selected, then the list of its modes remains inactive.