Question / Help Why is the AMD Encoder Performance so Poor?

Hi all, new forum user here and amateur OBS user.

I'd like to ask, quite plainly, why is the AMD x264 encoder's performance in OBS so poor? I've been attempting to use OBS for local replays with the AMD encoder, and I'm always met with an overloaded encoder which skips and stutters. Naturally, I would use AMD Relive for my recording purposes, but it doesn't have the same amount of features nor stability OBS offers. How come the AMD Relive software doesn't suffer the same problems as OBS does? It outputs a smooth video file, with no frets. Is it better at managing or utilizing the GPU's hardware or something? I really want to use OBS, but encoding with the CPU at 1080p is quite taxing.

My specs are as follow:
Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8 GHz
RX 470

Looking forwards to everyone's responses and input!

Narcogen

Programs like Relive and ShadowPlay work differently than OBS and as a result use less GPU resources. OBS is primarily a compositor and switcher; Relive and ShadowPlay aren't doing either of those jobs.

It's possible there are specific technical reasons why AMF doesn't perform as well as NVENC, but in any case, using OBS for the same functions as Relive and ShadowPlay will *always* result in greater resource usage compared to those programs-- whether you're taking advantage of OBS' compositing capabilities or not.