Bug Report Why is "max memory used" option isn't available on CBR for Replay Buffer?

sneaky4oe

So, natively, I use CBR for streaming. Recently I had to switch to using stream encoder for records due to CPU limit while encoding and recording and due to returning my video card for repair.
My streaming server has 16 gigs of ram. Buffer records are limited by 512 MB by default, and with my settings are about 8 minutes long while I've set them to be 10 minutes long.
If I switch to CFV or CQP, I am able to select Maximum Memory, which is 512 MB. Why can't I do so with CBR?

koala

With CBR, you enter the time you want the replay buffer last. This is convenience. Due to the fact CBR is constant bitrate, OBS is able to compute the required memory internally: it's time * bitrate.
With CRF or CQP the bitrate isn't constant, so OBS isn't able to conveniently compute the required memory from the desired time. So you have to enter the memory yourself. You can also enter a "max time" in this case, and this makes OBS limit the replay buffer either at the max time settings or when the memory buffer is full - whichever comes first.

sneaky4oe

Then, why do I get exactly 512 mb as a file size with duration of 8+ minutes when I set a duration of 10 minutes with CBR? It's a bug then.

sneaky4oe

Update. Changing used memory in another mode affected CBR mode and allowed it to go beyond 512 mb. We need a fix to that.

Individual

I'm glad you're still posting about this since all these months. Not many people seem to actually mention it any longer, either because it just ''disappears'' for them or because they cba to post about it anymore. I've been having it off and on and it's getting really annoying. The fact we don't really get a proper announcement or update every so-often about this issue is really getting on my nerves.

sneaky4oe

That's why making threads bumps matter. I've been trying to get "recommended options" bug fixed for a year. After another session of kicking everywhere I could reach it was fixed fy updating 3 lines of code...
Hoping someone will see this at last at some point.

sneaky4oe

1590941863589.png

1590941869276.png

1590941880549.png

1590941967618.png

It is still broken and still needs a fix.

Attachments

• 1590941902318.png
    1590941902318.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 44

Waffles13

I'm having the same issue. Pretty annoying to try and save a good match replay and only get the last 30-60 seconds despite having it set to record 10 minutes.

were491

kinda new to this (i don't use replay buffer) but i think it would also be helpful to file an issue on github if you want your issue discovered (asuming you haven't already done so). otherwise, i'm not really familiar with any of these issues so i can only wish you luck getting this fixed. (or just set your max. memory to your time * your bitrate + a few kilobits for audio and others)

sneaky4oe

kinda new to this (i don't use replay buffer) but i think it would also be helpful to file an issue on github if you want your issue discovered (asuming you haven't already done so). otherwise, i'm not really familiar with any of these issues so i can only wish you luck getting this fixed. (or just set your max. memory to your time * your bitrate + a few kilobits for audio and others)
It's already issued there. Even more, there was another guy who "described it better" somehow. But both are ignored despite the feature is an important one.

HACHI-BIT

I am writing from Japan with Google Translate.
There was a problem that only 512MB was saved in "REPLAY".
And I got here.

I solved it by trying what is listed at the URL below.
Although it is written in Japanese, please try it.

xeno_sl

@HACHI-BIT Thank you so much for this fix, it works!

For those who are too lazy to click on above link and translate, basically, just type this in the Run window
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\obs-studio\basic\profiles\

Go to your profile. in mycase was untitled.Edit the "basic.ini" file and add this in the Advanced Output section

RecRBSize=2048 (Where 2048 is obviously whatever size you want the max replay size to be, and youre good to go!)