Bug Report Replay Buffer setting missing

Hardcore_C4sual

Hello, i am not able to increase the memory usage for the replay buffer because the setting dont show up. I already reinstalled Obs even formatted my computer.

This is what my output tab looks like
OUTPUT.PNG

i am not able to record above 512 MB and with my settings this is not enough for 1500 sec

If you have a solution to my problem please help me :(

i guess this is a bug, tell me if the post prefix is wrong

FOUND A SOLUTION READ BELOW, thanks to koala
Thank you

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is a bug or not. Does it never show the option even with something like a 30 second buffer set? This could be out of the bounds for this element until a dev can address it, e.g it won't work beyond say 1000 seconds or something. If it shows up with a lower buffer set, then you know the problem. If not then I'm not sure. But may I ask...why do you need such a huge buffer? What are you capturing?

koala

If you set a constant bitrate encoding method for recording (CBR), you get no option for memory buffer size in Replay Buffer, because from the time you set here and the bitrate you use, it is clear how much buffer is needed. It's constant bitrate, you know, so buffer size = bitrate * replay time. No manual buffer size input required. You can perform the reverse computation - you' re using CBR with bitrate 4000, don't you?

If you set a quality-based encoding method for recording (CRF, CQP), you have to set a buffer size in Replay Buffer, because the bitrate is not constant, so no buffer size can be computed from the requested time alone. So you have to set a buffer size manually for CRF/CQP modes. But it's never clear how long that buffer will actually last because of the not constant bitrate. It will depend on the type of footage in the buffer (low/high motion, low/high detail).

OBS doesn't let you choose replay time settings or buffer size settings the system (or OBS, doesn't know) doesn't support. So, in the end, there is nothing you can do here, except perhaps adding more physical memory to your computer. I have 16 GB in mine and can configure the replay buffer up to 8192 MB for CQP mode, and with bitrate 4000 in CBR mode up to 21000 seconds (that's 11600 MB).

Hardcore_C4sual

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not. Does it never show the option even with something like a 30 second buffer set? This could be out of the bounds for this element until a dev can address it, e.g it won't work beyond say 1000 seconds or something. If it shows up with a lower buffer set, then you know the problem. If not then I'm not sure. But may I ask...why do you need such a huge buffer? What are you capturing?
Fortnite games, it is much more convinient for me to use a replay buffer because i only have to press a button to save a game, and i dont want to record the whole game session and end up with 10h video files

Hardcore_C4sual

If you set a constant bitrate encoding method for recording (CBR), you get no option for memory buffer size in Replay Buffer, because from the time you set here and the bitrate you use, it is clear how much buffer is needed. It's constant bitrate, you know, so buffer size = bitrate * replay time. No manual buffer size input required. You can perform the reverse computation - you' re using CBR with bitrate 4000, don't you?

If you set a quality-based encoding method for recording (CRF, CQP), you have to set a buffer size in Replay Buffer, because the bitrate is not constant, so no buffer size can be computed from the requested time alone. So you have to set a buffer size manually for CRF/CQP modes. But it's never clear how long that buffer will actually last because of the not constant bitrate. It will depend on the type of footage in the buffer (low/high motion, low/high detail).

OBS doesn't let you choose replay time settings or buffer size settings the system (or OBS, doesn't know) doesn't support. So, in the end, there is nothing you can do here, except perhaps adding more physical memory to your computer. I have 16 GB in mine and can configure the replay buffer up to 8192 MB for CQP mode, and with bitrate 4000 in CBR mode up to 21000 seconds (that's 11600 MB).
This makes so much sens, i feel so stupid thank you so much. I switched to VBR, increased the memory limit and set it back to CBR, i hope it fixes it.

Last edited:

Hardcore_C4sual

it Worrrrkkkkeeedddd. for some reasons, the memory limit is still carried over CBR settings, you have to set VBR change the memory limit and then set it back to CBR.

Thank you so much koala <3

Last edited: