What is the best laptop/desktop PC I can buy/build to stream/record a DSLR 1080p at 60fps with OBS?

NeverQui

Howdy, I hope you're enjoying life!

I have a:

Macbook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
2 TB Drive

I'm trying to:

• Live stream 1080p at 60fps with Canon 80D DSLR via Elgato Cam Link 4k
  • Record 1080p at 60fps on internal or external SSD
  • Play/stream scenes with 1080p footage + Overlays
  • No gaming

I'm also using a:
  • Ethernet connection 500 Mbps Up - 50 Mbps Down
  • Elgato Stream Deck
  • Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
  • Shure SM7B Microphone
  • External SSD

Since my mac doesn't seem up to the job, what is the best laptop and/or desktop I can buy or build to stream a DSLR at 1080p at 60fps while switching between scenes with 1080p footage + overlays?

I've read the OBS recommended specs, but I'm looking for something that will beat the minimum.

Is an eGPU worth it on top of everything?

I'm looking for a setup that works, but not overkill. I would like to spend the least I can, considering I just bought the Macbook Pro 16 for 5k. That being said, a working setup is my top priority.

Thank you very much in advance! I appreciate any input.

qhobbes

I'm a bit perplexed how this is not working. If the raw stream (no transcode) is good enough for recording, you can use stream encoder option to save resources. If not, try using AMF or QuickSync for streaming and x264 for recording.

Banyarola

Howdy, I hope you're enjoying life!

I have a:

Macbook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
2 TB Drive

I'm trying to:

• Live stream 1080p at 60fps with Canon 80D DSLR via Elgato Cam Link 4k
  • Record 1080p at 60fps on internal or external SSD
  • Play/stream scenes with 1080p footage + Overlays
  • No gaming

I'm also using a:
  • Ethernet connection 500 Mbps Up - 50 Mbps Down
  • Elgato Stream Deck
  • Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
  • Shure SM7B Microphone
  • External SSD

Since my mac doesn't seem up to the job, what is the best laptop and/or desktop I can buy or build to stream a DSLR at 1080p at 60fps while switching between scenes with 1080p footage + overlays?

I've read the OBS recommended specs, but I'm looking for something that will beat the minimum.

Is an eGPU worth it on top of everything?

I'm looking for a setup that works, but not overkill. I would like to spend the least I can, considering I just bought the Macbook Pro 16 for 5k. That being said, a working setup is my top priority.

Thank you very much in advance! I appreciate any input.
SC.png

mgrandy

"LIVE VIEW MODE
Type
Electronic viewfinder with image sensor

Coverage
Approx. 100% (horizontally and vertically)

Frame Rate
30 fps"

This is taken from the spec sheet for your camera im guessing video would be just as limited as live view mode other than that the rest seems to be fine spec wise bar the camera but double check yourself and update camera software to be sure

on fast shoot mode there is a max of 7 fps also are you getting 30 fps no problem?

NeverQui

I'm a bit perplexed how this is not working. If the raw stream (no transcode) is good enough for recording, you can use stream encoder option to save resources. If not, try using AMF or QuickSync for streaming and x264 for recording.
Yea, me too.

Thanks, I'll try that!

NeverQui

"LIVE VIEW MODE
Type
Electronic viewfinder with image sensor

Coverage
Approx. 100% (horizontally and vertically)

Frame Rate
30 fps"

This is taken from the spec sheet for your camera im guessing video would be just as limited as live view mode other than that the rest seems to be fine spec wise bar the camera but double check yourself and update camera software to be sure

on fast shoot mode there is a max of 7 fps also are you getting 30 fps no problem?
Forgive me, I appreciate your response, but I don't think I understand this.

I will make sure the camera software is updated, but the rest about live view mode went over my head. I'm using a Canon 80D in movie mode, connected to the Elgato Cam Link 4k, connected to USB-C Adapter. My camera is set to ~24 fps. I think fast shoot mode is for photography, though I'm not familiar with the photography settings as I primarily use the camera for video.

Thanks again.

Lawrence_SoCal

2 TB Drive I'm also using a: - External SSD
Just curious - is that 2TB drive a regular HDD or a SSD? I'm not a Mac person so not sure your options, but if that is a HDD, I'd switch to an NVMe SSD if at all possible (or SATA HDD if you must). A HDD will be a bottleneck regardless, even if recording to external SSD, as lots of OS activity on boot drive. Is that external SSD USB connected or Thunderbolt? With all you have connected, I'm wondering if you maybe have an issue with an overloaded USB controller.

NeverQui

Both external and internal hard drives are SSD. My external drive is connected via either a USB to USBC Satechi hub, though I've tried connecting the external hard drive on its own using a separate USB to USBC adapter.

Thanks!

TylerH

Ask the experts:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/ They build custom PCs using whatever parts will get the best performance for a specific application use, all backed up by thorough, open-sourced benchmarks and published reviews (in case you just want to learn for your own builds instead of paying them to build and ship you one).

ColaJon

I overhauled an old gen3 i5 to stream 1080p30 at church. It has an (also older) 1060 Super GPU with the dedicated NVENC encoder. The encoder is only working at ~40%. I also ran a gen8 i5 laptop with integrated graphics, and the CPU was still at manageable levels. My point here is that your setup should be more than adequate for the streaming part.

By chance, I happened to benchmark the desktop with a Scarlett 2i2 (1st gen). I had no issues with it.

I suspect your challenge is either the external SSD competing for the USB bus or something unusual about the camera signal coming in. I have no experience with 4k capture cards. But, their ability to deliver higher BW leaves open the possibility that they are--even when you don't want or need them to do so. Also, be sure you can actually write to the SSD at whatever BW you're using.

NeverQui

[SOLVED] I didn't have to buy a PC after all. I bought an iMac 5k 27" 2020 with 72 gigs of user upgraded ram which seemed to work a lot better. I tried both the i7 with the 5500XT and the i9 with the 5700XT, I didn't notice any hiccups during my tests (1.5 hours at 1080p), though I've yet to do a full broadcast. I haven't tried it with less ram yet.

I decided to try the M1 Mac Mini 8 gig, 8-core base model because the fans on the iMac were too loud, and I was worried the iMac would overheat eventually. So far, the M1 Mac Mini works flawlessly with no hiccups.

I bought a Canon 90D to go along with my Canon 80D and both work great at 1080p with multiple media, scenes and sources, 6500 kbps CBR.

The M1 Mac Mini also runs silently and stays cool, which is a huge plus. nevermind the fact it was ~$2500 less than the iMac and ~$4k less than the 16" Macbook Pro.

Praise be to M1!