what are my best obs settings?

ralfiiic

I mostly record minecraft but I get the encoding overloaded message everytime.
Output Mode Advanced
Encoder: NVIDIA NVENC H.264 (NEW)
Rate Control: CQP, Level 13, keyframe 0, Preset Quality, Profile main, No look-ahead and Psycho Visual Tuning. GPU 0, Max B-Frames 0.

Video: Base 1920x1080
Output 1280x720
Downscale filter Billnear
FPS: 60

Also the system specs are GTX 770, I5 3570, 4GB RAM. Can average 600 FPS in Minecraft

Lawrence_SoCal

There are others who know much more than I. hopefully they will respond to you.
in the mean time, what I noticed
That log doesn't show a recording/streaming session, so missing some important log information

That CPU is 9 generations old and real-time video encoding is VERY computationally demanding.
I recommend monitoring hardware resource (CPU, GPU, RAM, etc) utilization [for ex. using Task manager’s Performance tab and/or Resource Monitor] to see if your system is being maxed out with your settings
- I suspect You need more RAM

By re-scaling your base to output resolution, you are causing extra work. So keep the resolution the same, and/or drop to 30 fps

Have you made sure to optimize the Operating System to NOT be running unnecessary processes/services, etc?

ralfiiic

There are others who know much more than I. hopefully they will respond to you.
in the mean time, what I noticed
That log doesn't show a recording/streaming session, so missing some important log information

That CPU is 9 generations old and real-time video encoding is VERY computationally demanding.
I recommend monitoring hardware resource (CPU, GPU, RAM, etc) utilization [for ex. using Task manager’s Performance tab and/or Resource Monitor] to see if your system is being maxed out with your settings
- I suspect You need more RAM

By re-scaling your base to output resolution, you are causing extra work. So keep the resolution the same, and/or drop to 30 fps

Have you made sure to optimize the Operating System to NOT be running unnecessary processes/services, etc?

Hey, so I changed the base res to the same as my output and I switched to Display Capture, that seemed to fix the overload.
I recorded a game and my gpu averaged at 50-60% cpu 40-50% and memory at 50% also. Thanks for the help!

Lawrence_SoCal

I just came across this
tl;dr: rescaling is irrelevant in terms of performance or efficiency, as long as it takes place on the GPU.
....snip....
But rescaling isn't bad. If you use one of the rescaling options that take place on the GPU, it's cheap, because the GPU is highly optimized to do this kind of things.

Best practice:
- set the base (canvas) resolution to the native resolution of the main thing you want to output. In your case, the resolution of the capture device.
- set the output resolution to the resolution you want the main output be. If you want to stream as 900p, set 1600x900, thus the main rescaling setting. It is cheap in terms of resource use, because it is taking place on the GPU.
- it's possible to set a resolution within the encoder settings. This is the last additional rescaling option. Don't use this, this one is taking place in CPU space and very costly.

Between Windows OS updates and OBS, there has been changes in terms of performance of Windows vs Game vs Display Capture.
1. The new Windows 10 Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling ("HAGS") added with version 2004 is currently known to cause performance and capture issues with OBS, games and overlay tools. It's a new and experimental feature and we recommend disabling it via these instructions.

So, *IF* you are using NVENC to encode, then maybe test with base resolution back at native monitor resolution.
And I've read that Display Capture is the lest preferred capture method (use when required, but otherwise avoid). Beware the multi capture problems (even when in other scenes.. sorry, others will have to comment on the details/specifics)

koala

As far as I know (and as far as I see it on my PC), display capture is similar to game capture in terms of performance with Windows 8 and above. Only with Windows 7, display capture has very low fps and should be avoided, which has to do with the desktop compositing in Windows 7 that is slightly different to later versions of Windows.