Weird UI artifact / glitch after installing OBS on Linux Mint

marto

Hello,

I've just followed these instructions to install OBS (v26.1.1) on Mint (v20.1 - Cinnamon). After opening, my UI looks like it's glitched (see screenshot below). I'm not able to access the main menu or click on any buttons for the scene transitions / controls (nor anything that weird artifact is covering).

My machine is running the latest nvidia driver (v460.32.03-0ubuntu0.20.04.1) with a GTX 1080Ti.

I've tried reinstalling OBS (including purging all my config files) but the issue persists. Is this a bug?

obsui.png

marto

Solved. This thread gave me the answer. I'm using UI scaling b/c I have a 4k monitor and it seems this messed with the application ui. If I launch OBS from the terminal with the following command (using 50% b/c I'm at 200% scaling) it works fine:

Code:
QT_SCALE_FACTOR=.5 obs

marto

FYI, in case this helps someone in the future, this seems like a known issue. The variable mentioned above seems to be a temporary fix as I am still not able to resize the window / drag it to other monitors with different resolutions without issue.

Metabob

Hello,
I'm having the same issue. I had similar issues with other apps before and I was able to solve it permanently through adding launch properties with a tool called "Alacarte". But unfortunately this time I can't make it work, because I'm an absolute Linux noob. Does some one have enough skills to define a launch propertie string for this issue?

If I just add "QT_SCALE_FACTOR=.5 obs" it doesn't work.

For Spotify my Alacarte launch property is "spotify %U && --force-device-scale-factor=2"

It seems the launch properties always have to start with the file name e.g. "obs" or "spotify". Therefore it would probablby need to be "obs QT_SCALE_FACTOR=.5" instead. But it doesn't work.

Also I have tried "obs && QT_SCALE_FACTOR=.5" and "obs %U && --QT_SCALE_FACTOR=.5" but it also didn't work.

It would be pretty nice if some one could help as by defyning a working string for Alacarte.

Thank you!

Cheers

Metabob

Since it seems that it is not possible to edit my last post, I have to make a new one.

I figured out that it has something to do with multi-screen setups. If I unplug my second screen, everything works like a charm, even without the QT_SCALE_FACTOR=.5 workaround.