weird filtering/drop out with audio

pizzefritte

hi im sorry i dont know a lot of terminology so idk exactly how to describe this.

im recording in obs with an elgado hd60x and blue yeti mic, and every couple seconds while im talking the audio gets really quiet like there’s a limit filter (?). uninstalled and reinstalled obs, there’s no filter on, and it’s not the mic because it sounded fine in the windows speaker properties. was fine the last time i did this a couple months ago, so im not sure why it’s causing a problem now

AaronD

Post a recording somewhere, and paste the link here. And use the built-in log uploader (Help menu) to give us a log of the same session that produced that recording. Paste that link here too, and into the automated Analyzer that my signature links to.

It would be extra nice if that same recording also showed OBS's meters at the same time as the audio problem.

pizzefritte

Post a recording somewhere, and paste the link here. And use the built-in log uploader (Help menu) to give us a log of the same session that produced that recording. Paste that link here too, and into the automated Analyzer that my signature links to.

It would be extra nice if that same recording also showed OBS's meters at the same time as the audio problem.
hi here's the link to the log: https://obsproject.com/logs/9hgsvY8lt2OzPWfD
and here's the link to the recording: https://youtu.be/lOZCeh_ZMSw
tysm

AaronD

The Analyzer has a few more, less critical things to say, but these are the important ones:
1696731248776.png

Your reported problem might be a different result of mismatched sample rates than what I usually see, but it could still be involved.

Most of the time, a mismatched sample rate has a constant level but it's garbled or crackly all the time. A mathematically-correct resampler is completely transparent - you'd never even know it was there - but OBS does not resample at all, which leads to frequent small "holes" or "skips", each of which is a "pop" by itself, but they happen frequently enough that they combine to form their own sound.

Yours does fade in and out, and it's clear when it's in, but I still wouldn't completely rule out poor handling of a mismatched stream.

---

At any rate, fix all 3 of the problems that I screenshotted, and see if your original problem goes away too.

It's also possible that Windows itself is messing with the mic before it even gets to OBS. If the above doesn't fix it, that's the next witch hunt. Go through ALL of Windows' settings, even the ones that are hard to get to because they're that far in on purpose, figure out what Microsoft's labels actually mean, and turn off everything that is not a "dumb wire" between the mic and OBS.

The reason that stuff is on by default and hard to find, is because Windows' primary use for a mic is a business conference or family video call in a terrible acoustic environment. Almost nobody thinks to turn off the fridge, air conditioner, fans, etc, and so Windows has a Noise Suppressor that tries to figure out what's noise and remove it, along with some other processing. (OBS has a Noise Suppressor too, as a filter that you can add) Then to avoid a clueless business manager or meddling kid from messing it up and then blaming Microsoft, it's hidden to where you're probably not going to stumble onto it. You need to find that, wherever they've put it and whatever they've called it, and get rid of it.

But see if the screenshotted fixes work first.