Question / Help VLC Source Freezing in OBS

nbc4292

Hello,

I could really use some help troubleshooting the VLC source in OBS. I'm looping a YouTube playlist via a VLC network stream. After about an hour the stream freezes and requires me to remove the VLC source to kick back on. I've been playing around with the settings in VLC (v 3.0.2 64bit) and OBS (25.0.4 64 bit) with no luck. I've tried everything!

Can anyone provide guidance on ways to troubleshoot the VLC source in OBS? Feel free to message me directly if you have experience a would like to consult on troubleshooting the issue this week.

Thanks in advance!

Log:

vapeahoy

14:44:09.634: ================================
14:44:09.654: Warning: OBS is already running!
14:44:09.654: ================================
14:44:09.654: User is now running multiple instances of OBS!

Don't see that every day here. Congratulations!

nbc4292

14:44:09.634: ================================
14:44:09.654: Warning: OBS is already running!
14:44:09.654: ================================
14:44:09.654: User is now running multiple instances of OBS!

Don't see that every day here. Congratulations!

I like to live on the edge! Any advice here? This is dirving me nuts.

vapeahoy

I tried to run 2 instances, and when obs was already open, i get the normal warning dialogue. So did you get that or are you just a mad man?
I've run streams for hours before with VLC both reading the input from game/production machine and another for reading/showing rather, the encoded output. It's not a problem. also vlc is at 3.08, get the updated one.

I like to live on the edge! Any advice here? This is dirving me nuts.

nbc4292

I tried to run 2 instances, and when obs was already open, i get the normal warning dialogue. So did you get that or are you just a mad man?
I've run streams for hours before with VLC both reading the input from game/production machine and another for reading/showing rather, the encoded output. It's not a problem. also vlc is at 3.08, get the updated one.

I don't think the issue is that I'm running multiple instances of OBS at once. The issue is related to the VLC source ingesting a YouTube playlist. I'm trying to figure out how to loop a playlist in VLC and ingest it into OBS. It appears to work but after a few hours the source just freezes and I have to replace the source to get it rolling again

vapeahoy

... but after a few hours the source just freezes and I have to replace the source to get it rolling again

Ok. So, let's look at that then. How much do you know of your computers stability ? Does VLC says anything about this on known issues?
I dont think vlc has this as an issue. What i do know is running several instances of obs that each wants to claim hardware control, is generally a bad idea. I have no idea however if it is an actual problem, as i havent actually had a need or use case for running several instances of obs.
So we know what we know. I must ask how you perceive the situation tho that each obs instance will not also try to at least in part impact the other, given you know of this warning dialogue and the general bad idea concerning that?

As for VLC and looping, there is a specific option for that to keep playing the playlist regardless. VLC wouldnt just freeze by itself for no reaon..
When VLC doesnt see the incoming stream, when it has an open network stream in playlist, it will not freeze it will just be in a 'search state' so to speak, before eventually time out. But it will not "freeze".

nbc4292

It's running on a server and encoding via a commercial graphics card so stability isn't the issue.

I think the issue stems from the fact that VLC sucks at playing YouTube playlists. I had to download a patch on VLCs end to even play a YouTube playlist. After integrating into OBS the streams appear to stall on a corrupt video because I've noticed it often freezes on the same frame after running a few hours.

Part of me thinks it's a setting issue within OBS or VLC. I'd love for it to just skip over any corrupt file in lieu of trying to play it and freezing the stream.

vapeahoy

plugin page about this : https://addons.videolan.org/p/1344170/
put it in the same playlist folder, delete the old one. If u cant update vlc, youll need to do this, but there could also be it isnt updated on an upgraded install. Im on a fresh windows install so still havent got everything updated myself, on this machine.
edit:updated source for a fixed mod/fork of original.

Works great for me. All vlc stuff is open source. I think people just forget this thing replaces about 200+ codecs or whatnot. It's been so many years since one needed to install things like klite. VLC is so wonderful but unfortunately just so taken for granted these days and not understood how powerful of a tool it really is.

Have fun!

Do you use VLC to run YouTube playlists?

Last edited:

nbc4292

plugin page about this : https://addons.videolan.org/p/1344170/
put it in the same playlist folder, delete the old one. If u cant update vlc, youll need to do this, but there could also be it isnt updated on an upgraded install. Im on a fresh windows install so still havent got everything updated myself, on this machine.
edit:updated source for a fixed mod/fork of original.

Works great for me. All vlc stuff is open source. I think people just forget this thing replaces about 200+ codecs or whatnot. It's been so many years since one needed to install things like klite. VLC is so wonderful but unfortunately just so taken for granted these days and not understood how powerful of a tool it really is.

Have fun!

Thanks! Damn, it froze again! I think the issue is the following:

"Video stopped, number of skipped frames due to encoding lag: 1806/640389 (0.3%)"

Besides, reducing the OBS instances is there any OBS settings I can change to prevent this?

vapeahoy

Yeah reduce load on encoder by removing ticking off stuff and lowering quality. There's dozens if not thousands of things u can do.. Are you even in admin mode?
Just stop ignoring the elephant and you might actually get on with it. VLC/Videolan is outside the scope of OBS, but you had to get help with even such a simple thing. Read, read, read, and try to learn something.

nbc4292

What are the benefits of "run as administrator"?

Can you point me to any specific low hanging fruit (i.e., settings) that I should adjust in VLC/OBS to reduce encoding lag and prevent it the feed from stopping?

vapeahoy

You could start by updating windows
14:44:09.655: Windows Version: 10.0 Build 17763 (release: 1809; revision: 1098; 64-bit)
That's terribly out of date.

You're running just a 30 fps stream 720p. There's more to streaming then just settings. You need to invest actual effort.

nbc4292

No need to jack the thread if you're not actually going to help.. Specifics would be helpful. What's the advantage of running admin? What settings fps settings etc do you recommend?

If I was looking for a preacher I'd go to church