Virtual camera on Debian

Glucy2

I installed OBS 29.1.3 using flatpak on my Debian 12 (bookworm), and there is not a botton to launch virtual camera:
1689936247382.png

How can I launch virtual camera?
Or what information should I get?

Tuna

You will need apt install v4l2loopback-dkms
And make sure the kernel module for your kernel gets build. May require installation of kernel headers too.

Tuna

Reinstall the -dkms package and check that the module really is being build. Please read the output carefully.

Glucy2

I tried installing using deb pack, and there is a button but not working (it just asked me my password)

Tuna

HAve you secure boot enabled? Then loading of the loopback module may fail. At any chance, a log does not hurt.

AaronD

I tried installing using deb pack, and there is a button but not working (it just asked me my password)
It wants your password because loading the loopback requires root permissions. I have this in root's crontab @reboot:
modprobe v4l2loopback exclusive_caps=1 card_label='OBS Virtual Camera' video_nr=99
Copy/pasted from OBS's source code, so that's exactly what it wants, except I set the video number to not rearrange my physical cameras that I add and remove somewhat randomly.

That eliminates the password request from OBS, but of course requires the loopback itself to work. If yours works after you give it the password, then this is all that's left.

Glucy2

It wants your password because loading the loopback requires root permissions. I have this in root's crontab @reboot:
modprobe v4l2loopback exclusive_caps=1 card_label='OBS Virtual Camera' video_nr=99
Copy/pasted from OBS's source code, so that's exactly what it wants, except I set the video number to not rearrange my physical cameras that I add and remove somewhat randomly.

That eliminates the password request from OBS, but of course requires the loopback itself to work. If yours works after you give it the password, then this is all that's left.
I can launch virtual cam now, but it did not add a camera device (/dev/video*), other programs also cannot see the device

AaronD

Depending on how well entrenched you are with your current system, you might try Ubuntu Studio. It's based on Debian, so all of that should still be familiar, and it comes with a bunch of stuff preinstalled and already working. This is one of them.

Just add the cronjob like I mentioned, to avoid the password request.

And add the PPA to get the actual current version of OBS as a regular update, *before* you do anything else!
If you build a bunch of stuff and then update OBS, it'll wipe all that out and you'll have to start over. The preinstalled version is that old. So update it first and *then* build on it.