Video source cropped only on OBS, but looks fine on passthrough

Elia1995

Hello, a friend of mine just gifted me an OSSC video converter/upscaler for my birthday to use on OBS for videos and twitch streams of retro consoles and PCs.
I'm using a Razer Ripsaw HD capture card, and I'm having a weird issue with this setup, but I'll get there gradually.

I connected my PS2 to the upscaler via RGB SCART, then the upscaler to the capture card via HDMI, on the passthrough I see it perfectly, but on OBS the video source is missing its bottom half and I already checked, it's NOT "cropped out" from the bounding box, it actually detects it that way, the bottom half is slightly cut off and I can see it in the capture device's properties as well!
I'm providing screenshots to better demonstrate the issue, I tried looking around on Internet but found nothing, as it's a very specific bug I'm having with OBS... I just browsed my OSSC's menus for about an hour looking for something there to adjust the video size, but there's nothing, after all the console is actually being detected properly by the converter, as on the passthrough it looks perfect, but why is it cropped on OBS?

obs64_AVSjMjTWSg.jpg

photo_2021-06-26_09-19-55.jpg

Elia1995

Change the Resolution/FPS Type from Device Default to Custom and then change the Resolution.
I already tried, but whenever I manually change the resolution to something else, to force for example 720x576 (which is the standard PAL resolution), I get a black screen on OBS

Last edited:

Elia1995

According to the OSD, it is sending a 576/625 interlaced signal to the capture card (I read 576i 625i), but as I just said, manually changing the resolution of the capture card from the video source, results in a black screen on OBS, I can't force any other resolution but the auto detected one.

Furthermore, I tried setting the resolution on the video source on OBS as 720x576, 720x625, 576x625 or 625x576 and they all result in black screen... the only working resolution is the auto detected one: 640x480, but it looks cropped on OBS :|
obs64_ZNXOtpQMhp.png

FerretBomb

That would be an issue with your capture card not supporting the resolution that the OSSC is putting out.

konsolenritter

Because its (still) an issue with the capture card. The Passthrough is (in most cases) a simple one, directly connected.
- In OBS you have to take the resolution the capture card spits out.
- Can you configure anything on the OSSC, by software or even dipswitches?
- Proof if the OSSC supports the very specific resolution your retro consoles/PS2 do spit out that very moment?
- Proof if your special capture card supports exactly these resolutions, too.

Elia1995

I solved the problem by using another capture card, it turned out that the Razer Ripsaw HD is trash when it comes to resolutions lower than 720p, apparently!

I mean, it doesn't make any sense in my head that it can handle high resolutions such as 720p and 1080p just fine, but if I feed it something lower, like 720x576, or 800x600 it outputs either a black screen or crops the picture, it's dumb!
So I took out one of my GPUs to make space for my previous capture card, which is an AVerMedia HD Gamer Lite PCI-e card, I hooked the same OSSC into it and on OBS it looks perfectly fine! No cropping at all, also I see ALL the resolutions the card supports in that dropdown menu, while with the Ripsaw, there was ONLY the one that it "supposedly" was detecting (which wasn't even 720x576 pfft)... so yeah, turns out that the AVerMedia HD Gamer Lite is a much better card than the Ripsaw HD, tbh I'm not surprised, being a PCI-e card and the Ripsaw HD an USB one, but it could've been much better than that, come on!

I'll keep both tho, at least now I can also use my good camera while I stream consoles, since I now have 2 capture cards connected :D

I haven't tested it with the DOS machine yet, which has an even lower resolution than 720x576, but I think it's gonna look fine as well, since 320x260 is in the list when I click on the dropdown menu to change resolution on OBS!
unknown.png

unknown.png

FerretBomb

Yeah, a passthrough is a passthrough, it just takes whatever's coming in on port A and outputs it on port B. Actual capturing requires the capture hardware to interact with the signal, including being able to 'speak' the resolution/framerate. Why it's important to check the whitesheet for a capture device to see which resolutions/refresh rates it supports, AND that it captures at, which can be different. :b

Fun fact, the Razer Ripsaw is just an AverMedia LGX in a Razer-branded enclosure. Likewise the Ripsaw HD is just an LGX2. They're kind of known to have weird problems and workarounds.