Video capture glitching on Mac OS while recording

vincevince

Hello,
Yesterday, I noticed the video glitching when recording on my Mac desktop. This hadn't happened before, so I thought it was potentially related to an OBS software and/or macOS update that I needed. So I updated both my Mac OS and OBS to the latest versions, which I'm running now. (I apologize - I don't remember which versions of macOS or OBS I was using before I completed the upgrade). The glitching problem still continued, however.

Here are the specs of my Mac and OS that I'm running now:
- macOS: Sonoma 14.2.1
-Processor: 3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9
- Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB
- Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Here are the specs of the OBS system I'm using now:
- OBS Studio 30.0.2
- Video Capture Device: CamLink 4K, the button for "Use Preset" is clicked, and the Preset is set to "High"

Here's what I'm using in terms of video/audio capture:
- Video: Cam Link 4K connected to my external video camera, which is a Canon XA11 connected via mini HDMI.
-Audio (in case it's helpful): iRigPre connecting my external mic to my Mac via an XLR cable

Here's what I've done to solve the issue (none of these have solved the issue):
- Close/restart OBS
- Uninstalled/reinstalled OBS 30.0.2
-Uninstalled OBS 30.0.2 and installed an earlier version that prior threads said would solve this issue (version 27.2.4), but this version wouldn't recognize my CamLink 4K as the video capture device, which isn't feasible for my needs.
- Restart my computer
- Disconnect/reconnect all cables, CamLink 4K, and anything else plugged into my Mac
- Switch the video capture device to the built-in camera on my Mac monitor (glitching still occurred with this video input)
- Changed the video capture device presets to see if that would do anything - from "high" to all options that are available, like 1920 x 1080 all the way down to the lowest, 320x 240, but the glitching continued.
- I also recorded while I changed the settings of my audio input devices, to see if that made a difference. It did not.
- Closed all windows and only had OBS open while recording. This also made no difference; the glitching continued.
- Turned off all electrical appliances nearby, in case there was some sort of interference (like a space heater and an air purifier). This also made no difference.

So basically, I tried a bunch of different things, but nothing has worked.

Please help! And please let me know if there is any additional information you need from me in order to come up with a solution.

Thank you!

maik1

I would try:
1) create a new user account on your mac and try it there
2) run your mac in safe mode and see whether it still happens
3) run your exact obs setup on a different computer to rule that one out.
4) See whether the camera works normally on its own. Maybe its having trouble
5) possibly the Camlink could also have an issue. test with an alternative capture card.

Many things to try. good luck!

vincevince

I would try:
1) create a new user account on your mac and try it there
2) run your mac in safe mode and see whether it still happens
3) run your exact obs setup on a different computer to rule that one out.
4) See whether the camera works normally on its own. Maybe its having trouble
5) possibly the Camlink could also have an issue. test with an alternative capture card.

Many things to try. good luck!
Hi Maik1- Thanks for your suggestions! I've tried all of them, and so far none of them have solved the issue... There's got to be a reason for why this is happening, and unfortunately I don't know enough about Macs or OBS to solve it on my own. If you happen to think of any other ideas to try out, please let me know. Thanks!