Video Capture Device Bug - OBS Not Responding and no capture card image

KiniroEulee

I can't attach a log unfortunately, but there is still a bug that I have happening with OBS where I can't even add a new Video Capture Device. Selecting the option sends the entire program into (Not Responding). I normally have no issues with the input, but when I do it always crashes it with no log. It is tied directly to anything involving selecting even the properties of my already set up source of Video Capture Device or even trying to just make a new one it won't even get past to adding the source it just stays blanks and all freezes. So now my capture card won't show my consoles, and it freezes when I even try to mess with the settings of the already set up source or make a new source.

propertiesswitchfreeze.png
(image of the frozen Program caused by Video Capture Device source)

It's definitely nothing on my end so far that I can tell. I checked for updates for Windows, Drivers, and OBS. I restarted, unplugged cords, toggled power buttons on consoles even. I had to change what I was trying to stream this morning because no matter how many times I tried reopening and running as admin and other ideas nothing has fixed this issue.

KiniroEulee

I found a fix for this it seems! It has to do with a Windows Advanced USB Power setting possibly at least toggling this setting I found in another thread after combing through pages has made my video capture device work again! Here's is what they posted that helped me even tho I'm on desktop this seems to have worked.

itworky.png (Snes capture working woo)

If you are using a laptop, I would recommend adjusting USB power settings if you haven't already -- this feature may cause problems with the operation of some USB powered devices.

USB Selective Suspend Settings, follow the steps below:
  1. Press Windows + X.
  2. Choose Power Options.
  3. Select Choose when to turn off the display.
  4. Open Change advanced power settings.
  5. Expand USB settings and USB selective suspend setting.
  6. Select Enabled (default) or Disabled.
  7. Click Apply, then OK.
Alternative way to access:
  1. Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager
  2. Click + next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers
  3. Right-click on first "USB Root Hub" icon > Properties
  4. Click Power Management > uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"
  5. Repeat until all USB Root hubs have been changed.

KiniroEulee

Spoke too soon I guess, I even tried getting a new/better capture card this time and it still now will just sometimes crash obs and not work.

Sand401

I found a fix for this it seems! It has to do with a Windows Advanced USB Power setting possibly at least toggling this setting I found in another thread after combing through pages has made my video capture device work again! Here's is what they posted that helped me even tho I'm on desktop this seems to have worked.

View attachment 82271 (Snes capture working woo)
I have this exact same issue, it started only a couple weeks ago for me and was flawless until then. Is there any update on this? I tried doing the steps you provided but have no option for step 3 and on

KiniroEulee

I have this exact same issue, it started only a couple weeks ago for me and was flawless until then. Is there any update on this? I tried doing the steps you provided but have no option for step 3 and on
I am actually currently having the problems once again, its something with OBS because i can get the feed to show up in vlc at any time so its connected fine to the computer so it has to be something with the video capture device sources as far as I can tell. I even bought a new capture card and that didn't help it still does the same thing.

KiniroEulee

Wait I just tried something with it and it seemed to work, but try running it with windows 8 compatibility mode. Something with the coding must not be compatible with windows 10 somewhere for the video capture device and when I did a test in windows 8 compatibility my capture card was working. I closed it and opened it back up by just using the exe without the compatibility and the source was gone again, and then launched it again under the compatibility and boom, it was working.

KiniroEulee

So I've tried even disconnecting my webcam and moving where the capture card is plugged in and it'll work once maybe then if i close and open obs it breaks again. Please I just wanna stream ;u;

Moggle

I have the exact same issue. I can't add or amend any video capture devices without getting this complete OBS app freeze and because it doesnt technically crash there is no crash report log. It just stays not responding forever or until i force quit it. I even reinstalled OBS, wiped all registry entries etc. set up new profiles and scenes from scratch which worked for a couple of days and now its doing the same thing again.
It all started maybe 2 months ago but it was intermittent, now its permanent and my devices won't even show up most of the time so It's literally unusable.
My capture card is also a PCIE one so seems to be affecting VCDs regaredless of their connection methods.

I've also tried removing all video device drivers from my PC and completely reinstalling those to no avail. If anyone has any ideas I'd be super grateful at this point!

DerSnatcha

I just encountered the same issue. Every time i try to add a video capture device or try to open the settings of a existing video capture device, it will freeze until i close the program. Did someone find any solution to this?
I tried all of the above named solutions and none of them worked for me.
This is the only thread i could find that named this exact problem.
Hope you can help me

pabdeniro

Can someone help, Ive been having the same issue for the last week but for like a month before this even started happening ive been able to stream perfectly fine with no issues and my computer is brand new so im not sure whats happening at all.

Rellirell313

Yeah I'm experiencing this issue as well...don't matter what version this is. 27 or 28. It don't matter. OBS fix this asap as I'm able to use my cameras in other programs, but not in OBS unless I restart the computer; & I'm sick of doing that!

fanmedia

I can't attach a log unfortunately, but there is still a bug that I have happening with OBS where I can't even add a new Video Capture Device. Selecting the option sends the entire program into (Not Responding). I normally have no issues with the input, but when I do it always crashes it with no log. It is tied directly to anything involving selecting even the properties of my already set up source of Video Capture Device or even trying to just make a new one it won't even get past to adding the source it just stays blanks and all freezes. So now my capture card won't show my consoles, and it freezes when I even try to mess with the settings of the already set up source or make a new source.

View attachment 82230 (image of the frozen Program caused by Video Capture Device source)

It's definitely nothing on my end so far that I can tell. I checked for updates for Windows, Drivers, and OBS. I restarted, unplugged cords, toggled power buttons on consoles even. I had to change what I was trying to stream this morning because no matter how many times I tried reopening and running as admin and other ideas nothing has fixed this issue.
i have the same problem.
adjusting USB power settings is NOT a solution. any others ideas?

enzsu

Currently having this same issue started yesterday 10/28/2022 & have found no fix for this. I have a sony a6600 on a Elgato Camlink and have never came across this issue before, could be a bug with the new OBS Update. If anyone has a fix or something please do share. Its just freezing OBS after opening the window for Properties for VCD. Other than that OBS runs fine.

enzsu

View attachment 82271 (Snes capture working woo)
I have all the USB Roots unchecked for Power Saving previously before issue started no change in Bug/Crash.

LiamCollie

Currently having this same issue started yesterday 10/28/2022 & have found no fix for this. I have a sony a6600 on a Elgato Camlink and have never came across this issue before, could be a bug with the new OBS Update. If anyone has a fix or something please do share. Its just freezing OBS after opening the window for Properties for VCD. Other than that OBS runs fine.
I am having this same issue. Even when I try just closing OBS normally it hangs up the same way like adding/modifying video capture devices. I have tried several versions, USB power settings, changing USB ports, updating Windows to new feature version, updating and rolling back drivers, disabling and reenabling devices. Even unplugging it completely with no VCD nor camera attached does the same exact thing. I am assuming its an OBS issue? Or is it a hardware issue? I even did a clean install of OBS removing EVERYTHING including my scenes and settings. Still same issue occurs. This started yesterday as well: 10/28/2022 And I am using a Elgato HD60 S+ and even my webcam does the same thing. The capture card and webcame works in Discord just fine...

enzsu

This has to be due to the Nvidia Driver Update on the 27-28th cause then after the issue occured...Could a rollback to the old Nvidia Driver (Oct 12) temp fix this until a newer update?