Using/offloading to Nvidia dGPU in Hybrid/Optimus System?

aidanii

Hello!

I've been setting up OBS for a while now, and interested in using the Nvenc codec for recording, but watching the terminal it says that OBS is not running on an Nvidia GPU, though the recording will still continue as it uses a fallback encoder. I've been trying to see if I can make it run on it but to no avail. I have been using Envycontrol to set my system to use whichever gpu it should need, though I primarily go with the hybrid option. But even when setting it to use solely the Nvidia GPU, OBS still doesn't seem to use. I have seen my games and other applications such as Blender successfully detect and use the Nvidia GPU, so I am now seeking help on how I can do so for OBS. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Hardware: Nitro AN515-58
OBS: 30.2.2 64-bit [Flathub] (also happens on Fedora's Flatpak)
System: Fedora 40 KDE Plamsa 6.1.4 (Wayland)
Nvidia Driver: 555.58.02

Attachments

• 2024-08-15 18-57-18.txt
    13.3 KB · Views: 13

AaronD

Is the container biting you? Install native, and see if that works.

Containers, like snap, flatpak, docker, etc., are meant for security, privacy, and portability. They make it difficult, on purpose, to access system resources, as part of that security. That's fine for things that are self-contained anyway and don't need to use external stuff, and it's possible to grant enough permissions to allow a (formerly, at that point) containerized app to use the actual hardware. But by the time you jump through enough hoops to make that work, you've pretty well nullified the purpose of the container, and kept the downsides.

Don't use containers for OBS. Always install it native.