Question / Help Unwanted Robotic Effect on Voice recordings

ElementFreak

I've been having issues with OBS more or less the entire time I've used it in the last few months, but with the last week or so It's been consistently messing up my audio recordings.

When I finish a recording and open the mp4 file, one of three things happens.
1) The entire audio track has this weird doubling effect where the sound becomes more robotic and tinny.
2) The beginning is fine up to a random point, where the audio will suddenly begin the robotic effect for the rest of the track.
3) The entire audio is perfectly fine.

While recording several 1-2 minute clips of the exact same audio within the span of 15 minutes, I got all three of these outcomes with no rhyme or reason. I have disconnected all sources except my mic (Blue Snowball). I am not receiving any overloading messages, though I have almost always gotten those for any sort of screen capture. I use a Lenovo Yoga 920 with Windows 10, with everything updated to the current versions.

Updates have not worked. Restarts have not worked. Reinstalling has not worked.
What can I do to fix this, and are there any tech-genies out there who can get my OBS finally funning properly?

Log file: https://obsproject.com/logs/WPU1bqLt7vzgN4fc

FerretBomb

1. Never EVER record to MP4 directly with OBS, for any reason. Record to MKV or FLV and remux from the File menu if you need mp4s for something.

Audio robotting is one of the most common signs of USB bandwidth choke with a USB mic/audio interface, though can also be an issue if the robotting is happening in your editor (one of the reasons NOT to record to mp4, editors hate the mp4 files OBS produces in many ways).
The fix is to download USBView, which will show you where all of your devices are connected. You want to move your microphone to a different USB host controller from any high-throughput USB devices like webcams, capture cards, external HDDs that are in use, etc.
99% of the time, a robotting issue is fixed just by moving the mic to a less heavily loaded host controller.

Phebe Gee

1. Never EVER record to MP4 directly with OBS, for any reason. Record to MKV or FLV and remux from the File menu if you need mp4s for something.

Audio robotting is one of the most common signs of USB bandwidth choke with a USB mic/audio interface, though can also be an issue if the robotting is happening in your editor (one of the reasons NOT to record to mp4, editors hate the mp4 files OBS produces in many ways).
The fix is to download USBView, which will show you where all of your devices are connected. You want to move your microphone to a different USB host controller from any high-throughput USB devices like webcams, capture cards, external HDDs that are in use, etc.
99% of the time, a robotting issue is fixed just by moving the mic to a less heavily loaded host controller.

hi there. I'm having the same problem. And i've tried what you suggested but still getting that robotic sound. i guess that's the reason i had BSODs the past few days. but i already reformatted my laptop. installed OBS again and still getting this problem with my audio. as i have read on your reply, mine was set to mp4 and already switched it to mkv. i also switched the sound card to another port . Still not fixed.