Unusual ~30 second delay when streaming

Hello all, I recently started streaming using OBS on linux and it's working fine, except for an unusual half minute delay. I would talk or perform an action and only see it on stream ~30 seconds later, my viewers have confirmed this issue as well... So far I tried streaming on a PeerTube instance and some other small website that I don't remember, and the outcome was exactly the same on both. I do not experience this delay when sharing my screen on Discord or Zoom, so I'm positive it's not a connection issue from my end.
Would appreciate any help in resolving this.

My specs
  • Kernel: 5.10.22_1
  • RAM: 16 GB
  • GPU 1: NVIDIA GeForce GTX
  • GPU 2: Intel UHD Graphics

What I tried so far and didn't work
  • Streaming on two different websites
  • Using the hardware encoder (NVENC) with low-latency performance preset
  • Using the software encoder (x264) with veryfast preset
  • Forcibly set the stream delay setting to 1 second
  • Lowering both video and audio bitrates
  • Lowering the video resolution (source and output) to 360p
  • Lowering the framerate to 30 fps
  • Enabling/Disabling recording while streaming
I have attached the last 3 log files, they are all from the same session.

Attachments

• 2021-03-16 17-56-48.txt
    19.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 2021-03-16 18-02-14.txt
    19.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 2021-03-16 18-24-49.txt
    82 KB · Views: 19

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Have you tried Twitch? Unless a site is designed for low latency and realtime interaction, large delays are possible due to distribution technologies like HLS and use of CDNs etc.

Have you tried Twitch? Unless a site is designed for low latency and realtime interaction, large delays are possible due to distribution technologies like HLS and use of CDNs etc.
You're right, the delay on Twitch is about 3-4 seconds. Thanks for the tip.
I do not wish to use Twitch though so I'll keep looking for other services, any other suggestions are most welcome.

tallship

You're right, the delay on Twitch is about 3-4 seconds. Thanks for the tip.
I do not wish to use Twitch though so I'll keep looking for other services, any other suggestions are most welcome.

Have you worked this out yet? I'm experiencing the same thing, with at least 30 seconds of lag. I'm not using a CDN or anything else that would interfere and my server is on a 1Gbps committed connection.

At home, I'm on Cable broadband, and also like you, I do not experience such lags in Discord (BBB, NextCloud Talk, or Jitsi either), but I haven't for many years/don't/won't use Zoom.

The image is blurry/grainy. I'm new to OBS and just tested it yesterday on Dlive, but used the wizard to make my connection so I'm guessing sensible defaults were used to provide a good video image.

I'm interested in finding others who are live streaming on PeerTube and hearing about the settings they're using to achieve a quality stream for their viewers.