UHD 770 on i5 12500 or NVENC on RTX 3050?

dulkenyut

I play my games on my PS5. I want to record my gameplay at 1440p/4K 60fps.
I want to build a dedicated recording PC.
Should I use UHD 770 on Core i5 12500 or NVENC on RTX 3050 for the encoder?
I already have 16GB DDR4 3200 and Gen3 NVMe SSD
Also tell me the reason is a good idea! Thank you!

koala

Use Nvenc on a RTX GPU. For recording (not streaming), both hardware encoders might create similar flawless quality, but in case you consider streaming some time later, Nvenc is clearly top choice. And the iGPU is just powerful enough to do the compositing, but there is not much leeway for more complex scene and source setups. For 1920x1080, the iGPU is probably powerful enough, but 1440p might be at the edge of its performance. To avoid a bottleneck, use a more powerful external GPU, so it both come together with a RTX GPU.

If you're just building the PC, you can first build it without the RTX, then see how the iGPU works out. If it isn't working well enough, just add the RTX later. Since the iGPU is integrated, you don't need to buy some component your're throwing away later if you add the RTX.

dulkenyut

"For 1920x1080, the iGPU is probably powerful enough, but 1440p might be at the edge of its performance."

So you're saying that the RTX is encoding faster than iGPU?

"To avoid a bottleneck, use a more powerful external GPU, so it both come together with a RTX GPU"

Can you elaborate more about that statement? Sorry I do not understand, which hardware performance bottlenecked by which hardware?

koala

It doesn't have much to do with the encoder. OBS is a directx application, requiring quite some GPU resources to perform compositing. Even if you intend to record only one source, compositing takes place. Filters also require GPU resources, since they are implemented as shaders. The amount of GPU resources OBS requires might be more than a iGPU is able to provide, if you use higher resolutions, more than one source, and filters. Almost all advanced video features of OBS require GPU resources.

dulkenyut

It doesn't have much to do with the encoder. OBS is a directx application, requiring quite some GPU resources to perform compositing. Even if you intend to record only one source, compositing takes place. Filters also require GPU resources, since they are implemented as shaders. The amount of GPU resources OBS requires might be more than a iGPU is able to provide, if you use higher resolutions, more than one source, and filters. Almost all advanced video features of OBS require GPU resources.
thank you for your explanation. I hope you don't mind I ask another question. Since you are mentioning how OBS depend on GPU resource, therefore an RTX would be superior to Intel UHD iGPU, does this mean a GTX 1660 Super would do the job well? It has Turing NVENC also. How would the performance differ between GTX 1660 Super and RTX 3050 as far as recording with OBS concern?

koala

Both have definitely enough computing resources. However, the GTX 1660 SUPER is superseded by 2 newer GPU generations, the RTX 3050 only by one. The Nvenc circuit is the same on both.