Support for HD PVR 1?

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
The actual code for the HD PVR/roxio/etc is being put into the newer version of OBS (rewrite), not the current version. Current version's directshow code as bad, really needs rewriting. Putting it in this version's code would ultimately be a waste. I know it sucks that I'm making people wait on it but it can't be helped.

aDactylous

Hey guy's I've been keeping up with the post and I would like to know if its still being developed.

Thanks for reading.

Aetolos

Hey, sorry for probably an annoying question, but in regards to the HD PVR compatibility project, how far are you guys in ? am I better off buying another capture device this summer or will you guys be done around that time ? ( i'm a student and as such I cannot afford to toss around money like crazy, but if the deadline is like 6 months away, I will have to get an avermedia LGP capture device or something I suppose... ) recording in 720p is nice, but having to adjust hauppage capture to maximized windowed mode and record screen region + sub region is kind of annoying since I cannot read chat then :/

all the power to you guys for making free alternatives to Xshit btw, thank you for the work you've done ! <3

aDactylous

Hey, sorry for probably an annoying question, but in regards to the HD PVR compatibility project, how far are you guys in ? am I better off buying another capture device this summer or will you guys be done around that time ? ( i'm a student and as such I cannot afford to toss around money like crazy, but if the deadline is like 6 months away, I will have to get an avermedia LGP capture device or something I suppose... ) recording in 720p is nice, but having to adjust hauppage capture to maximized windowed mode and record screen region + sub region is kind of annoying since I cannot read chat then :/

all the power to you guys for making free alternatives to Xshit btw, thank you for the work you've done ! <3
Yea I really don't want to have to buy another capture device or even use Xshit Obs is awesome!

thanks for the confirmation I cant wait to use the final product

Last edited by a moderator:

RoadboyHD

When I record with the hauppage, I just use screen capture for the window, easy enough however there is a delay which is kinda annoying.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
They delay is unavoidable. That comes with the territory of using an HD USB 2.0 capture device. If you want no delay, you should use a PCIe or USB 3.0 capture card.

Hauppauge support is still on the roadmap, and is a pretty high priority right now.

Aetolos

Sorry for asking something I am sure you are working your butt off on, but I tried using the search function and I heard talks about an app that could be used wtih the current 0.6.x beta build to use HD PVR as a direct source in OBS. I am a big proponent of using OBS over Xsplit since I care about my PC and I don't feel that wasting so many of my availible resources is the way to go, especially with limited ram etc etc, and I hate having to pay to remove a watermark from my stream...

TL;DR is there any updates on the original HD PVR (not HD PVR 2 GE or newer, the old and classic grey/black box) ? and if so, can you give ús a "soft deadline" with a +1/-1 month accuracy?

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
A very early test version for the HD PVR is already out, if you searched you should have stumbled upon it.
Its still very early, and missing a lot of features, hence we did not announce it more publicly yet.
Deadlines are no option either, since this is an open source project and people do not get money to work on OBS in general. (The donations of course help jim to buy hardware, but thats about it)
If you want faster support of the HD PVR, get some programmers to help the OBS development :)
Hauppauge could have added support for their devices about 1 1/2 years ago, similar to Avermedia and Elgato for example. Actually, 99% of capture cards offer DirectShow drivers, only Roxio and Hauppauge are lacking these and then leave it to an Open Source Project to add support themselves.

AcaRaBacklash

A very early test version for the HD PVR is already out, if you searched you should have stumbled upon it.
Its still very early, and missing a lot of features, hence we did not announce it more publicly yet.
Deadlines are no option either, since this is an open source project and people do not get money to work on OBS in general. (The donations of course help jim to buy hardware, but thats about it)
If you want faster support of the HD PVR, get some programmers to help the OBS development :)
Hauppauge could have added support for their devices about 1 1/2 years ago, similar to Avermedia and Elgato for example. Actually, 99% of capture cards offer DirectShow drivers, only Roxio and Hauppauge are lacking these and then leave it to an Open Source Project to add support themselves.
How would I be able to get this test version?

nikodem123asdf

I have found a way to go about that issue:
1 install hauppauge capture(mostly for better preview quality)
2 set up a fake monitor in your computer by:
-rightclicking the desktop,
-going into resolution,
-clicking detect,
-than clicking on "another display undetected"
-and choose under multiple displays and choose "try to connect anyway via VGA"
-after that under any of the monitors choose extend these displays(you can also adjust resolution there but it isnt much of an issue)
3 run OBS and choose monitor as your source (the fake monitor may be marked as either 1 or 2)
4 choose "preview stream" so you can see what's going on on the fake display
5 drag the hauppauge capture window to the fake screen and fullscreen it by double clicking the preview
6 now the feed from Hauppauge will be visible to OBS and you can still manage the stream and whatnot.

I hope somene finds this workabout useful ^_^

iPhazerable

Yes, it is still being worked on. An initial alpha will be coming out within the next few months, but I'm not sure if support for capture cards with encoded output will be included in the very initial release. It will definitely be added though.
I personally own an Hdpvr 2, and I stream and record. I would love to be a beta tester for this update or plugin, or whatever this is going to be!
Thanks,
John

P.S My twitch and youtube name is iPhazerable

TheBenHigh

Is there any possibility this'll make it's way to the multi-platform version, or is that what you mean by "rewrite"? Right now, OBS recognized the HDPVR (model 1212, to be specific) out of the box on Ubuntu, but when I change my video device to it, nothing happens, other than the drop-down options changing.