Support for HD PVR 1?

sportsman2325

Will there be support for the Hauppauge HD PVR in the future or near future? I love OBS for streaming pc games but I would love it more if it supported the HD PVR so I can stream Xbox 360 games because I hate Xsplit. Every time I try to use the HD PVR with OBS, it gives me the red screen.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I know I've been putting it off but I -do- plan to get it in eventually. It shouldn't be -that- difficult to implement, but it is rather painful due to the fact that I have to probably use libavutil and then decode the stream and then do some device-specific code for it. It's just a painful device to get working. It'll probably be months before it's fully implemented though still. Maybe less if I'm lucky, but I've been busy with non-OBS related stuff lately.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Well I'm sure someone with C++ skills could make it work if they had the device themselves, but few people are skilled at C++ these days.

anxiety83

Is there a way you can program OBS to capture a screen region instead of coming from the Hauppauge HD PVR directly? That's the only way I've ever been able to get my streaming setup to work with the last 2 programs i've tried.

undr8d

every time I try to connect my HDPVR I get an error code saying invalid resolution. I tried to customize the resolution but it still say's invalid resolution . can someone help me please

TGArthur

I will donate money to get it to work, and I'm sure I can find a bunch of supporters to do the same! Would that motivate you, Jim, to get this implemented faster?

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Getting decoders in to support this is partly in the works right now, but it will still be quite some time before it'll be usable.

Currently also somewhat in the middle of moving, after I move I will be able to order one or two (finally)

Gimlao

Actually, with XSplit, we just have to open the ArcSoft ShowBiz "Capture Module", put it in fullscreen, use the "Add Game" feature, then choose "CaptureModule (DX9Ex)".

In OBS, the game capture feature will oddly not work here, so maybe it doesn't know how to capture "DX9Ex" ?

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I did receive and HD PVR 2, if it works similarly to the first then I may be able to get the PVR 1 working.

zent

Pokedude97 said:
I would gladly donate money for HD PVR support too. I'm stuck having to use Xsplit still for console games.

Hopefully it gets implemented soon. I dislike using xsplit for console.

reevoluti0n

No need to use XSp*it.

I've been streaming PS3 play with OBS and an HDPVR2(as well as the old non-HDMI HDPVR) using ShowBiz or Total Media Extreme for what seems like ever now. Never used another program.

- Arcsoft Showbiz (Running on iGPU w/ Hardware Accel) -> 14.0MBPs CBR / 1280x720 @ 30FPS Downscale / 2 B Frames / 192k AAC @ 44.1k / Fullscreen Mode (1280x720)
- OBS (Running on GTX660) -> Output resolution: 1280x720 (Fit to screen) @ 30FPS / 96k AAC / Aero Disabled (Won't work with Aero enabled for some reason, ever.) / Global Window Capture of Showbiz (CaptureModule.exe) -> Capture Entire Window / Point Filtering on

Never had issues with that setup, and never had to use XSp*it.

If I had better uplink speeds, I'd be able to stream @ 720/60 no problem. Best I can do is 720/30 for slower paced games like The Last of Us and 540/30 on a good day for ME3 MP.

If anyone wants help with getting it working, send me a message. I don't log in here often, so at least I'll get an e-mail notification if someone needs help.

http://twitch.tv/jtrgaming for plenty of videos.

SYN1ST3R

The benefit to having direct video feed is that you don't need another program open (TME/Showbiz) and you don't need to use up all of your monitor to screen cap TME/Showbiz program. If you have 2 monitors then it's not a big deal, but some of us still use 1 screen and it's inconvenient when you want to have twitch chat or OBS on the screen as well. I also think the quality looks better with a direct video feed as opposed to screen capping from the preview screen of another program, but that might just be my imagination.

curious if any further development has occurred on this? i have model 1212 of the hd-pvr and was curious if OBS can stream it's direct feed versus a window if showbiz software

Hyper

Any updates on this? I really need to be able to stream with my HD PVR soon, and I hate XSplit. Is this still being worked on?

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Yes, it is still being worked on. An initial alpha will be coming out within the next few months, but I'm not sure if support for capture cards with encoded output will be included in the very initial release. It will definitely be added though.