Stroke Glow Shadow

Stroke Glow Shadow 1.0.2

FiniteSingularity submitted a new resource:

Stroke Glow Shadow - A plug-in for adding inner and outer strokes, glows, and shadows to masked sources.

Introduction​

The Stroke, Glow, Shadow Plugin offers an efficient way to apply Stroke, Glow, and Shadow effects to masked sources in OBS.

• Stroke, Glow, Shadow, as the name implies, provides effects for applying Stroke, Glow, and Drop Shadow to any masked sources in OBS. You can use these effects on everything from a chroma-keyed facecam to a native OBS text source.
  • All three effects allow for inner and outer applications.
  • Additionally, all three effects...

Read more about this resource...

H2S

Mind if I ask a question or two? I think i'm having trouble getting the Shadows to work correctly.

Shapeshifters

I feel like such a newbie, sorry to have to ask. How do I get the plugin window to show up in the first place? I don't see it under Tools or View or Tools > Scripts. I've run the windows installer, but nothing seems to have changed.
Thank you!

I feel like such a newbie, sorry to have to ask. How do I get the plugin window to show up in the first place? I don't see it under Tools or View or Tools > Scripts. I've run the windows installer, but nothing seems to have changed.
Thank you!
No worries! I'm happy to help. This plugin adds 3 new filters and 3 new sources to OBS. The easiest to use is the filter option. Click on a source you want to add a stroke, glow, or shadow to, then click Filters:
1699117236022.png

This will open the filters window for that source. Click + under the Effect Filters panel, and you should see a filter for Stroke, one for Glow, and one for Shadow. Select the one you want, and you'll see all the adjustable parameters show up in the right half of the filters pane.

Alternatively, if you want to add the effect as a source, click the + under sources, and in the source type list select either Stroke, Glow, or Shadow. I hope this helps!

SomeBeardo

I'm on OBS 29.1.3 -
I cannot get this plug-in to work with any source besides Text(GDI+).
Adding a Glow/Shadow/Stroke to any other source/scene (as a filter or a source) results in nothing.

Thoughts?

I'm on OBS 29.1.3 -
I cannot get this plug-in to work with any source besides Text(GDI+).
Adding a Glow/Shadow/Stroke to any other source/scene (as a filter or a source) results in nothing.

Thoughts?
Hi @SomeBeardo-

I'm guessing the issue is that you're trying to apply an outer glow/shadow/etc. to a full-size source (not necessarily full-size of your canvas, but that the source is completely filling its own size/resoluton). Currently the plugin does not apply padding to the outside of your source, and the effect gets cut off.

There are two workarounds for this. The first- add a crop/pad filter to your source *Before* the stroke/glow/shadow filter, then add negative padding values (e.g.: -50 for all). This will add room around the source, where the stroke/glow/shadow can be rendered:
Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 9.51.01 AM.png

The second workaround- place your source in a wrapper scene, then apply the filter to the wrapper scene. Notice in the screenshot below, I have taken my full-size "Gradient 2" source, resized it in a "Gradient Wrapper" scene, then I apply the stroke to the "Gradient Wrapper" scene.
Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 9.54.10 AM.png

Note- the next release of Stroke/Glow/Shadow will add an option for "Auto Padding" which will do the padding in option 1 automatically for you within just my plugin. But either of these two workarounds should work in the meantime. Please let me know if you have any questions or if any of this doesn't make sense.

OP3

Great idea on this plugin, it's exactly what I was looking for to create a simple border behind a source that contains a lot of things (it's busy). I did notice a bit of a quirk or potential bug when trying to get shadow to work. As detailed before you mention to use crop to adjust the aspect of the source which I did but shadow didn't seem to work. After a few tries I noticed the order of the filters matters a LOT. The crop needs to be above the shadow apparently, or I'm doing something wrong. See the two screenshots I have below and thanks for making a very useful plug in!!

1702097120311.png

1702097362163.png

OP3

Also a feature request if possible... I noticed that I can't get a perfect rectangle border around any of the sources. I've tried shadow and stroke, stroke gets closest but still looks a bit rounded on the corners. Thanks again

Great idea on this plugin, it's exactly what I was looking for to create a simple border behind a source that contains a lot of things (it's busy). I did notice a bit of a quirk or potential bug when trying to get shadow to work. As detailed before you mention to use crop to adjust the aspect of the source which I did but shadow didn't seem to work. After a few tries I noticed the order of the filters matters a LOT. The crop needs to be above the shadow apparently, or I'm doing something wrong. See the two screenshots I have below and thanks for making a very useful plug in!!

That is a great point about the ordering of the filters, and it is indeed important. When you apply a chain of filters to a source in OBS, those filters are applied in the order shown in the filter window. If you add the crop/pad filter after the stroke/show/glow, the padding is not yet there for the effect to render, and so it will not show up. I am hopeful that this becomes much more simple in a (soon) future release, where the plugin can auto-pad for you.

Also a feature request if possible... I noticed that I can't get a perfect rectangle border around any of the sources. I've tried shadow and stroke, stroke gets closest but still looks a bit rounded on the corners. Thanks again

This one is actually quite tricky. The way the filter detects where to draw the stroke is by finding the distance to the nearest non-alpha-zero pixel (and drawing the stroke where this distance is less than or equal to your required stroke size). In the case of an outer corner, this distance becomes a rounded surface, and so the stroke gets rounded off. In order to do square corners, there would need to be a special "This source has all square corners" stroke type. I'll think about a way to implement this, but it likely wouldn't come until v2.0 of the plugin.

Note: for an inner stroke, the distance to an inside corner ends up being a square corner, so you can get square corners if you're doing an inner stroke (not that this helps your use case).

Reactions: OP3

genxha

Nothing works except the "inner" version of filters.

No drop shadow, no glow, no stroke. Even at top of fx stack, bottom, without other filters, on new source.

Last OBS ver in portable mode.

Nothing works except the "inner" version of filters.

No drop shadow, no glow, no stroke. Even at top of fx stack, bottom, without other filters, on new source.

Last OBS ver in portable mode.
I'm guessing this is because you're applying it to a source that completely fills its container. Currently the stroke/glow/shadow filter does not extend/pad the source (this is coming in the next release, and I definitely need to improve the documentation on this).

In order to fix this, add a crop/pad filter *before* the stroke/glow shadow filter, make sure "relative" is checked, and put in a negative value for all four directions that is big enough for the size of glow/shadow/etc that you want. (see attached image). This should then give the source enough room to show the effect. Please let me know if this doesn't fix the issue for you.

1702689741554.png

GoFigureGo

I'm having trouble via M1 - MacOS i've deleted and reinstalled OBS and i've tried to install the plugs and relaunch obs and nothing comes up in the filters.
Screen Shot 2023-12-18 at 8.25.08 PM.png

I'm having trouble via M1 - MacOS i've deleted and reinstalled OBS and i've tried to install the plugs and relaunch obs and nothing comes up in the filters.
Hi GoFigureGo,

Could you please restart OBS, then go to the Help Menu, then Log Files, Upload current log file, and then send the link to me in a DM? That will let me troubleshoot any problems that might be happening when the plugin tries to load.

GoFigureGo

Hi GoFigureGo,

Could you please restart OBS, then go to the Help Menu, then Log Files, Upload current log file, and then send the link to me in a DM? That will let me troubleshoot any problems that might be happening when the plugin tries to load.
Thanks (FS) i'm very new to all this i found out i needed to use arm for mac because its an m1 i thought all M chips are silicone. i'm trying to so what Nutty did in his video where when you talk the outline reacts to sounds i'm wondering if it needs a green screen ?

Thanks (FS) i'm very new to all this i found out i needed to use arm for mac because its an m1 i thought all M chips are silicone. i'm trying to so what Nutty did in his video where when you talk the outline reacts to sounds i'm wondering if it needs a green screen ?
Glad you got the plug-in working.

To do an outline that follows the shape of your head/body, you either need a green screen and chroma key, or you need a virtual background removal filter (there are some mac compatible plugins available, but in can’t speak as to how well they work as I use a green screen).

That said, I’ve built and seen some nice sound reactive outlines that work for a square/rectangular face cam, and look quite good. So you may want to try that.

GoFigureGo

Glad you got the plug-in working.

To do an outline that follows the shape of your head/body, you either need a green screen and chroma key, or you need a virtual background removal filter (there are some mac compatible plugins available, but in can’t speak as to how well they work as I use a green screen).

That said, I’ve built and seen some nice sound reactive outlines that work for a square/rectangular face cam, and look quite good. So you may want to try that.
Fantastic I'll take a look thank you i am very new to this and getting my feet wet.

eliasthompson

Just leaving a +1 to the box glow/shadow/stroke request (would be great to convert all my box-shadow css statements to this), and to the auto padding feature. Great plugin otherwise!

rorutokun

First of all, awesome plugin!
Unfortunately it seems that it has problems with sources that need "SRGB Off" blending method. One such source is a browser source.
If you create a browser source which has white text and no background, and place it over white "colour source", the text will have a thin dark outline with default blending method - this is solved by using "SRGB Off". However, if you use "Glow" set to "Outer Glow", with white color, the dark outline is back, no matter the blending method.

Also, it doesn't matter if you use "glow" as a filter or glow as a source off that browser, this is what you get:
1705412128262.png

(browser source with white text on transparent background + white color source + white glow)

Just discovered that with "Text (GDI+)" source which itself doesn't need SRGB Off, it works ok as a filter, but this is what you get if you use glow source for that text:
1705412512673.png

Again, changing blending method for the glow source, does not help.

--
btw +1 for auto padding ^^

Last edited: