Question / Help Streamlabs Audio Not Working After New OBS Update

Derick Bailey

FWIW - I did a local build of the latest v20.1.3 on my Mac (2017 MBP) and the audio works again. Was there a specific reason that v20.1.3 did not get released for Mac?

Derick Bailey

yeah, the patch notes only talked about Windows updates. i don't know why it works now, but i do know that v20.1.3 is able to play my StreamLabs audio. so I'm sticking with it. it might be worth doing a build and release for the other people in this thread, to see if it fixes the audio issue for them as well.

Narcogen

In that case it would also be useful to post the recipe you used in your build-- how you installed each dependency and which versions. I did quite a few builds of 18 and 19 when there were not updated official builds, but it was very hit-or-miss whether those binaries worked for others.

michkeline

To all that found a solution, I implore you to post it here and help me out.
I have tried everything (have not tried downgrading obs version yet) and still have not found a solution to get my alerts to make a sound.
Please help out a computer noob.

GJeeh

I don't know if this is still relevant, but I also had this issue with Streamlabs' sound alerts (using .ogg files only). All other sources used with a browser source were working perfectly with sound, and the pop-up box within the Streamlabs dashboard was displaying everything properly. Downgrading to 20.0.1 has fixed the issue for me for now.

Artisan

I too am having this problem, however, I've found a rather simple workaround for now.

A simple workaround for Mac users who are capturing desktop audio via SoundFlower...
  1. Go to your Alert Box dashboard on StreamLabs
  2. Press the "Launch" button next to the Widget URL. This opens a new browser window for your alert box.
  3. Leave the new window open in the background while streaming. The audio functions normally from this window and will be captured on stream.

Leif Johnson

Hello, I am having a unique problem. On my macbook the audio works, on my iMac it does not. Both versions of OBS are 20.1.0. The only difference I realize is that my iMac has soundflower installed, my Macbook does not. all audio files are .OGG.

LandyArvizu

[resolved]

This is what I ended up doing.
20.0.1 YES browser source audio
20.1.0 NO browser source audio

if browser source was not updated in this version then it can only be the obs app or a different setting to do with audio.

I got it working by deleting the obs.app from applications and installing 20.0.1 again

confirmed that browser source alerts were playing audio

then deleted that and restored the 20.1.0 version from the trash

now the audio is back in browser source.

prolly just some setting somewhere.
I have a Macbook Pro (Sierra 10.12), tried this and works really fine. Now I can work with OBS 20.1.0 with sounds :D thank you

Nathan Kellert

As mentioned, the issue is only with .mp3 files. If you use .ogg you will not have any issues. We are looking in to getting a new build of the browser source that includes .mp3 support again, but there is no ETA on that right now.
I am actually putting in an issue right now on their MantisBT page from their github. I am having issues with this as well and it is affecting ogg files too as I specifically have tested which makes me believe we have something else at play here. This is primarialy a macOS issue. I think this could be an issue with monitoring(aka output from OBS to system sound) In either case I've now see enough posts on StreamLabs own support pages and in these forums to know its affecting lots of people.

Last edited:

Osiris

@Nathan Kellert No there is no issue with monitoring, the browser source that comes with 20.1.0, just does not have mp3 support included, resulting in Streamlabs not playing audio. The streamlabs detection code is a bit weird since it tests for audio/mpeg support even if you use .ogg. The best way to make it work is to install the PPAPI version of Flash on the system.

Marta Trullo

[resolved]

This is what I ended up doing.
20.0.1 YES browser source audio
20.1.0 NO browser source audio

if browser source was not updated in this version then it can only be the obs app or a different setting to do with audio.

I got it working by deleting the obs.app from applications and installing 20.0.1 again

confirmed that browser source alerts were playing audio

then deleted that and restored the 20.1.0 version from the trash

now the audio is back in browser source.

prolly just some setting somewhere.

You are a f*king genius. This works fantastic!
Thank you for all, really appreciate it!

RaduRaduRadu

guyys, when i install obs 20.0.1 it works, what do you mean with "confirmed that browser source alerts were playing audio"? After i disinstall it and install the new version again, audio isn't working again.

skykat30

I am having the same sound problem, even with .ogg files. Where can I go to download version 20.0.1? I can only see the new version on the website

genozide666

Hi.. Just wanted to share my fix to this. It was similar to the OP.
I had only one of six alerts working in OBS. While all alerts worked in live twitch stream i thought it was really odd. I tried reinstalling obs with several different versions, reinstalling sound drivers, different sound formats (ogg, wav and even mp3), using a different usb port for headset.
I run Win 10, use a Logitech AS 7.1 headset, use OBS studio and twitch for streaming. The computer is a new build. Streaming worked fine prior to the upgrade.

So this is what i did. I had to go into device manager and uninstall motherboard audio (Realtek HD Audio), uninstall logitech gaming software, view hidden devices in device manager to uninstall a conflict usb (the ones that say "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed") in there. Then I restarted, pressed Del on boot to go into bios and removed onboard audio. After boot i checked the headset 7.1 test and got all surround sounds as prior to that i only had left and right. After this i started to get all sounds i should have got in streamlabs and OBS. FINALLY..

Hope this helps some who struggle with this same issue. Seems like Win 10 can cause USB conflicts that cause issues like this. And some onboard sound drivers can also cause issues.
Happy streaming.

FreeKillZero

I run Win 10, use a Logitech AS 7.1 headset, use OBS studio and twitch for streaming. The computer is a new build. Streaming worked fine prior to the upgrade.

Thank you for sharing your Windows 10 experience. As this is the Mac Support forum, tackling the issue may be the similar, but the exact troubleshooting steps may not be applicable/appropriate for macOS.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
The issue was with a build of CEF (Browser Source) that did not have support for certain audio types. This has been resolved already, and everyone should be using the latest version of OBS (21.1.1 at the time of this writing) with the included Browser Source plugin.

If you continue to have audio issues on the latest version, please post here so we know.

gwilly

Hey, I'm on Mac version 22.0.3. Not getting audio from Streamlabs alert box. Sound plays but doesn't register for recording/streaming. Am I missing something important here? Looked through thread and didn't find a solution, not to mention it's generally focusing on an older version. Here's a log file right after I tested an alert with a sound. Don't know if it'll help but in case it does: https://obsproject.com/logs/sL9DngelqJ790W0b