Question / Help Streamlabs Audio Not Working After New OBS Update

Narcogen

Was already using .ogg files.

Set up a new scene collection called test. Added my streamlabs alertbox URL to a new browser source.

Pressed record, triggered a test subscription.

Alert visual content plays. No audio.

Made a second attempt adding a display capture showing the alertbox URL in a Chrome window. The alertbox URL in a Chrome window plays the .ogg sound.

Under 20.0.1 alertbox sounds were working.

Have not reported to streamlabs as the alert works in a browser window.

Running MacOS 10.11.6.

Here is my log.

https://gist.github.com/ffa60ec63e8cd484ebd4a04e9a419e1b

Ashley L.

-Tested in Chrome as works perfectly, (audio and visuals both present)
-Have not contacted Streamlabs, seeing as this is clearly working fine on their end (shown by the fact that the browser test worked perfectly) and since the issue only started after an OBS update, that couldn't be a coincidence.
-The previous version before the update. I began using OBS two months ago and has been working fine until this update.
-I should state here that I have the previous version of OBS on my MacBook and it runs alerts fine without an issue. I chose to not upgrade after seeing how it effected my desktop iMac. So, I firmly believe that it would be worth your while Fenrir to dig deeper as many streamers rely on OBS and until recently we firmly stood by this program. Is it only you who has tried troubleshooting this error or are their other devs or customer service reps who could input?

https://gist.github.com/6b23200e2c37bfea6c7f55e1fd9b6ae9

Ashley L.

Also, a follow up for anybody who needs a quick fix. Uninstall the current version of OBS. Pretty easy for mac, just search OBS and drag and drop all files to trash. Then from the OBS main webpage you can download older version, so just download the previous version (20.0.1) and alerts (with audio!!!) appear to be working fine! :)

Fenrir

Forum Admin
-Tested in Chrome as works perfectly, (audio and visuals both present)
-Have not contacted Streamlabs, seeing as this is clearly working fine on their end (shown by the fact that the browser test worked perfectly) and since the issue only started after an OBS update, that couldn't be a coincidence.
-The previous version before the update. I began using OBS two months ago and has been working fine until this update.
-I should state here that I have the previous version of OBS on my MacBook and it runs alerts fine without an issue. I chose to not upgrade after seeing how it effected my desktop iMac. So, I firmly believe that it would be worth your while Fenrir to dig deeper as many streamers rely on OBS and until recently we firmly stood by this program. Is it only you who has tried troubleshooting this error or are their other devs or customer service reps who could input?

https://gist.github.com/6b23200e2c37bfea6c7f55e1fd9b6ae9

So, first I want to comment on your use of "customer service reps" here. You seem a bit confused. OBS is not a company, it doesn't have customers. None of you are paying to use OBS, and all support is run by volunteers such as myself who help out in our spare time. All of the OBS Contributors have acknowledged that there is something weird going on, but many of us (myself not included) are at Twitchcon this week. None of you have even tried reaching out to Streamlabs for support (which, to clarify, does have customers and is a business motivated by profit. If there's an issue with their system on the latest version of OBS, they are going to be jumping through hoops to sort it out). On a clean install of OBS on 20.1.0 on macOS, we were not able to replicate this issue. So please try to understand from our perspective here.

The only thing that changed with browser source in recent versions is the removal of mp3 support, because it's still considered non-free in CEF-space. We've tested it on default Streamlabs alerts, and confirmed that it works fine if you're using .ogg or any other supported audio format that isn't .mp3. If you're using .ogg and the alerts aren't working, something else is going on.

Jim is at Twitchcon this week, and Browser Source in general is an extremely complex plugin to try and debug. I would ask that you all please be patient until this can be looked into further. There is no harm in staying on 20.0.1 until this can be sorted out. Log files help, so please keep them coming.

LoonyGeekFun

[resolved]

Also, a follow up for anybody who needs a quick fix. Uninstall the current version of OBS. Pretty easy for mac, just search OBS and drag and drop all files to trash. Then from the OBS main webpage you can download older version, so just download the previous version (20.0.1) and alerts (with audio!!!) appear to be working fine! :)

This is what I ended up doing.
20.0.1 YES browser source audio
20.1.0 NO browser source audio

if browser source was not updated in this version then it can only be the obs app or a different setting to do with audio.

I got it working by deleting the obs.app from applications and installing 20.0.1 again

confirmed that browser source alerts were playing audio

then deleted that and restored the 20.1.0 version from the trash

now the audio is back in browser source.

prolly just some setting somewhere.

Nicholas Kelly

I am not sure about that because I tried searching for OBS but then got a bunch of python __init__ files that are specifically for running python and I cannot seem to find the files outside of the OBS application folder but I know there is supposed to be a .plst file somewhere. Just as a test, I uninstalled then reinstalled and it kept all of my screens and preferences. Will this cause an issue going forward if I try this fix?

Narcogen

If you kept all your scenes then you didn't actually remove any of the files.

They are in ~/Library/Application Support/obs-studio

However I have not had any problem keeping that folder in place when switching between v 20.0, 20.0.1 and 20.1.

Downgrading to 19.x or older, though, causes crash on startup with settings from 20.x

Derick Bailey

I'm also having this issue v20.0.1 plays audio from StreamLabs just fine. v20.1.0 does not play audio from StreamLabs.

I have confirmed this issue on my 2012 Macbook Pro and on my brand new 2017 Macbook Pro.

As per previous requests, I created a new scene collection in v20.1.0 and added the streamlabs alert box browsersource. my log file is attached.

this needs to be fixed, please. i understand the developer's frustration of not being able to reproduce it, but with this many people saying it's an issue, "works on my machine" isn't really a good response.

lastly - If a developer would like to see this issue reproduced, please reach out to me and I can do a screensharing session and/or record a video of me reproducing the issue and the working version. I'm a developer with 25+ years experience, so feel free to ask for more detailed info, steps to reproduce, etc.

Attachments

• 2017-10-27 08-23-55.txt
    9.1 KB · Views: 28

Derick Bailey

oh, i should also say the workaround that I'm currently using for this...

I have Rogue Amoeba's "Loopback" app installed and configured to push Chrome audio as an input source. This is loaded into OBS so I can stream audio from my browser (I do this instead of using a "desktop audio device" because I want fine control over volume levels).

so my workaround is to open the test window from StreamLabs and have it hidden in the background on my laptop while i'm streaming. as long as i have that window open, it will play the sound for me and OBS will pick up the Chrome audio and stream it.

Nicholas Kelly

If you kept all your scenes then you didn't actually remove any of the files.

They are in ~/Library/Application Support/obs-studio

However I have not had any problem keeping that folder in place when switching between v 20.0, 20.0.1 and 20.1.

Downgrading to 19.x or older, though, causes crash on startup with settings from 20.x
That is precisely what I deleted. I went into Library and preferences and deleted everything that was related by searching with OBS in the folder. I even followed two video walkthroughs and still the preferences and scenes saved.

Narcogen

You need to throw out that entire folder.

Search also does not show items in hidden folders like the Library folders.

Slowburnstudio

Hi, I'm having the same issue only I'm using the single browser source from streamelements. I worked with them first and have been troubleshooting. They found (like other users here) if I went back one update, I could hear everything fine. However, that gives me desynchronization issues so I had to update back to the most current version of OBS and the sound issue came back. It's odd in that I can hear the default alert sounds through OBS from stream elements - cheer sounds, new follower ding, host ding. Cannot hear any of the custom sounds I put into streamelements. This has been replicate by the streamelements team. I'm running a Mac with the most updated OS. I am going to try deleting, installing the old, deleting and restoring the new version and see if I can get it to work like Looney did. Will report back.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
As mentioned, the issue is only with .mp3 files. If you use .ogg you will not have any issues. We are looking in to getting a new build of the browser source that includes .mp3 support again, but there is no ETA on that right now.

Slowburnstudio

I switched all sound alerts to .ogg files and it works, but text to audio is completely gone because the programs do not use .ogg files. Hoping for this update soon as text to talk is a donation incentive. Plz keep us informed.