Streaming and Recording but the recording is very choppy or just a still frame for the entire stream but the stream output is fine.

TheGoofyAsian

So I've been recently streaming and trying to record my clips at the same time because my streams on twitch can only go up to 1080p but my monitor is 3080x2160 s0 it looks better when I edit videos to make for youtube videos. But as I have problem recently my recording clips have been really laggy/choppy or its a still frame for more than 10minutes. So i have to resort to pulling my clips from twitch because the stream is okay.

I'm new to this so if you need any type of questions answered, I'll do my best to help.
don't know if it matters but
Cpu: Ryzen 7
Gpu: Asus Tuf 3080

I think the rest of the details for my obs settings are in the logs? idk let me know what more I could provide. please and thank you

Log file: https://obsproject.com/logs/ItKy43CDHQISbuLl
This is when I was streaming already and I pressed record, should I upload more log files?

BluePeer

related to the "setup"
first launch OBS as "Administrator" this erase many "priority" issues
then for record never use VBR , CQP "Quality/Quantize" is the choice you select
related to the "record" target (HDD/SSD) you need to remember that there have Max Write per Sec Values
HDD and SSD reduce Bits/Sec on fragmentation(hdd) and fill(ssd) state but this is not so often at the seletec rates
a canvas of 2160P related to 1080P is "horrible" for Bits/sec and requires extreme High write speeds M2/PCIe SSD's and above
so it can be Possible that your "target" have a to less avaible writespeed

but this is all "try to find the issue"

so we need more informations about the system like where the "records" will be write HDD/SSD/M2/PCIe/PCIev4 and whats the max write speeds and "usages/defragmentations"

to erase some issues
- Disable Downscape on Stream settings
- Set canvas to 1080P
-set record to CQP and a value 18-25 (smaller value more quality) default "OK" is ~23 (CQP makes Alltime same visual Quality with "variable" bitrate related to the Quality target requirements)
for record there is no need of 2Pass, lookahead or psycho this can be all disabled

the above you can use 1x1 for 2160P recording but then with increased CQP value to not go over 80% of the max write bitrate from the "save" target

TheGoofyAsian

related to the "setup"
first launch OBS as "Administrator" this erase many "priority" issues
then for record never use VBR , CQP "Quality/Quantize" is the choice you select
related to the "record" target (HDD/SSD) you need to remember that there have Max Write per Sec Values
HDD and SSD reduce Bits/Sec on fragmentation(hdd) and fill(ssd) state but this is not so often at the seletec rates
a canvas of 2160P related to 1080P is "horrible" for Bits/sec and requires extreme High write speeds M2/PCIe SSD's and above
so it can be Possible that your "target" have a to less avaible writespeed

but this is all "try to find the issue"

so we need more informations about the system like where the "records" will be write HDD/SSD/M2/PCIe/PCIev4 and whats the max write speeds and "usages/defragmentations"

to erase some issues
- Disable Downscape on Stream settings
- Set canvas to 1080P
-set record to CQP and a value 18-25 (smaller value more quality) default "OK" is ~23 (CQP makes Alltime same visual Quality with "variable" bitrate related to the Quality target requirements)
for record there is no need of 2Pass, lookahead or psycho this can be all disabled

the above you can use 1x1 for 2160P recording but then with increased CQP value to not go over 80% of the max write bitrate from the "save" target
Appreciate the help king, running it as admin and changing the CQP has helped the recording not be choppy or still. a tiny bit of lag every so often but not bad enough. idk what you mean when you said downscape unless you mean not to resize my resolution. I do not know how to pull up the records and where to find the write speed at. I already thank you for your help troubleshooting me, I'll looks through more threads to see if any more tips for me to help stream and record simultaneously :D

TheGoofyAsian

my tips for you

22:13:03.539: Norton 360: enabled (AV)
22:13:03.539: Norton 360: enabled (FW)
Deinstall it defender make the same job

22:13:03.537: Game DVR: On
Disable it

22:13:03.537: Game Mode: Off
enable it

22:13:03.898: output 0: pos={0, 0}, size={3840, 2160}, attached=true, refresh=144, name=27GN950
22:13:03.899: output 1: pos={-1920, 1080}, size={1920, 1080}, attached=true, refresh=144, name=VG278
set your refreshrate to 120hz and set your ingame FPS to 120 ------- 120fps / 60 fps = 2

Dont use MP4 as fileformat its not save ! use MKV

try to disable
22:25:22.021: lookahead: true
22:25:22.021: psycho_aq: true

please test to record to another HDD/SSD

and i mean its not good Record Stream on two bitrates and gaming do on the same time on the same PC
Okay so I did turn off the game dvr thats the xbox bar thing right? I enabled gamemode, changed the refresh rate but could only manage to set it as 119.3 (i think thats good enough), I knew about the mp4 but i guess after this update it changed it back :(. I disabled tge lookahead and visual tuning off the RECording tab.. idk if I should do the same for the stream.

So far my recording looks way smoother and runs better now, thanks idk if it was the game mode or whatever.

sorry but idk if i can uninstall norton i trust their shit but i get what you mean with the program making things priority. I'm guessing its still a bad idea to stream and record with the same gpu right? I got another 3080 but i don't got the money yet to run another whole pc lol.

again i salute u good sir for the help!

FerretBomb

Okay so I did turn off the game dvr thats the xbox bar thing right? I enabled gamemode, changed the refresh rate but could only manage to set it as 119.3 (i think thats good enough), I knew about the mp4 but i guess after this update it changed it back :(. I disabled tge lookahead and visual tuning off the RECording tab.. idk if I should do the same for the stream.

So far my recording looks way smoother and runs better now, thanks idk if it was the game mode or whatever.

sorry but idk if i can uninstall norton i trust their shit but i get what you mean with the program making things priority. I'm guessing its still a bad idea to stream and record with the same gpu right? I got another 3080 but i don't got the money yet to run another whole pc lol.

again i salute u good sir for the help!
Streaming and recording with the same GPU is fine. Turing/Ampere NVENC can handle loads up to around 2x 4K60 video streams simultaneous.

I recommend never using the Max Quality preset, Lookahead, or Psychovisual Tuning options. They do improve visual quality slightly, but can cause encoding overload and rendering delay issues which will cause stuttering due to frame-skip. In a live-recording environment, the visually negligible boost they provide is not worth the risk they carry when creating a primary recording. Same reason I run OBS Studio in Administrator mode. It IS less secure, but it provides extra margin against problems cropping up when you absolutely only have one shot at things.

And just saying, realistically, Norton is no safer than the Windows Anti-Malware Tool but is MUCH more resource-intensive.