Stream on Twitch looks choppy when streaming Call Of Duty: Cold War, but no frames are being dropped

lloftin96

I am in desperate need of help. I have been streaming Call Of Duty: Cold War on twitch the past few months, and have just recently run into a ton of issues with my stream looking choppy, but OBS is saying I am not dropping any frames. I run OBS as administrator every stream, have all of my graphics settings in game on low/medium (capped game at 70 FPS). Here are my logs from my last stream: https://obsproject.com/logs/3tLPXCtPT1aF0Ukl .

PC Specs:
Intel Core i7-9700F (4.7 GHz Turbo) (8-Core) 3.0 GHz (Not Overclockable)
Motherboard: ASUS / MSI / ASRock (Intel Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3200Mhz RAM
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (1 TB Samsung 860EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1650 4GB

I have also attached my video/streaming settings within OBS. I stream and game on the same PC. Please try and help me out!

Logan

Attachments

• obssettings.PNG
    obssettings.PNG
    29.6 KB · Views: 528

FerretBomb

20:48:22.998: keyint: 250
This is one possible culprit. Twitch wants a key interval of 2 seconds (which would be 120 for a 60fps stream, as it appears you're sending). If you use the wrong keyint, the replication gets messy.

You also have some minor rendering and encoding lag, but it's under 1% and shouldn't be a problem. I'd advise turning off Psychovisual Tuning though; it's on in your log, and tends to cause encoding lag at random. The minor visual quality improvement is NOT worth the issues it can cause.

Ah. Here's your most likely problem though:
20:48:03.679: Windows Version: 10.0 Build 18363 (release: 1909; revision: 1316; 64-bit)
20:48:03.900: output 0: pos={0, 0}, size={1920, 1080}, attached=true, refresh=144, name=LEN G25-10
20:48:03.900: output 1: pos={-1080, 0}, size={1080, 1920}, attached=true, refresh=75, name=XF251Q
Windows has a long-standing bug that occurs when running 3D accelerated applications on monitors at different refresh rates. It was mostly-fixed in v2004, but you're on v1909 which still has the bug.
The only fix is to either update to 2004 (which may fix it), or run all of your monitors at the same refresh rate. Preferably a full integer multiplier of your streaming framerate to avoid frame-pacing judder (so if you're streaming at 60fps, run your monitors at 60 or 120hz, and all the same one).

lloftin96

This is one possible culprit. Twitch wants a key interval of 2 seconds (which would be 120 for a 60fps stream, as it appears you're sending). If you use the wrong keyint, the replication gets messy.

You also have some minor rendering and encoding lag, but it's under 1% and shouldn't be a problem. I'd advise turning off Psychovisual Tuning though; it's on in your log, and tends to cause encoding lag at random. The minor visual quality improvement is NOT worth the issues it can cause.

Ah. Here's your most likely problem though:

Windows has a long-standing bug that occurs when running 3D accelerated applications on monitors at different refresh rates. It was mostly-fixed in v2004, but you're on v1909 which still has the bug.
The only fix is to either update to 2004 (which may fix it), or run all of your monitors at the same refresh rate. Preferably a full integer multiplier of your streaming framerate to avoid frame-pacing judder (so if you're streaming at 60fps, run your monitors at 60 or 120hz, and all the same one).
Thank you SO much for the quick reply! I do have a few questions. In my video settings, do I just change the keyframe interval to 2 from 0? Is that what you meant? And I tried updating to 2004, but windows update only said I could update up to 20H2 (which I just did). Finally, I have 2 separate monitors, one for the game and one to look at OBS on. The Lenovo one I game on can only go down to 120hz and my secondary monitor only has a 75hz option. I changed my main monitor to 120 from 144 like you said, but I can not have them match up without having to purchase a new monitor. I am about to stream again now and I will reply with the logs when I am done so you can look at them for me if you get time! Again, thank you so so much.

FerretBomb

Thank you SO much for the quick reply! I do have a few questions. In my video settings, do I just change the keyframe interval to 2 from 0? Is that what you meant? And I tried updating to 2004, but windows update only said I could update up to 20H2 (which I just did). Finally, I have 2 separate monitors, one for the game and one to look at OBS on. The Lenovo one I game on can only go down to 120hz and my secondary monitor only has a 75hz option. I changed my main monitor to 120 from 144 like you said, but I can not have them match up without having to purchase a new monitor. I am about to stream again now and I will reply with the logs when I am done so you can look at them for me if you get time! Again, thank you so so much.
Correct, just change keyint to 2. Sorry, I forgot to mention how to actually fix that one. :)
You should be able to under-run any monitor? It may not have a profile for the lower refresh.
20H2 should have the same fix as 2004. With any luck, it should work fine now. When you stream again, absolutely upload a logfile from the new session and I can take a look, though the only way to see if the problem is still happening is to look at the stream (or the VOD, so make sure you have those enabled so you can review while not-live).

lloftin96

https://obsproject.com/logs/RRosI7lRxkQEKG8g Sorry for the late reply; I have been busy with life lol. But here is my log file from my stream last night; still having microstutters but nothing as bad as when I first messaged you on here. Also, I matched my settings in game with the OBS (i.e. 120hz and capped FPS at 80 to be safe). Please let me know if you see anything out of wack!

lloftin96

Also I just saw your VOD comment; I actually deleted my last VOD because I was playing copyright music lol, but I will save it next time to show you. I apologize!

Toastfalter

I have the same problem. However, I use 4 monitors. 1 is set to 120 Hz and the others are set to 60 Hz and OBS to 60 FPS. In game I set everything to 60 FPS. I also switched on game mode (has been recommended for a while) and I start OBS as admin.

I've tried around a little the days and always get the same lag. Use X264 instead of Nvenc (Nvenc works worse with my RTX 2070 than with my Ryzen 9 3900x). Game recording and monitor recording have the same effect. Likewise, V-Sync on and off.
I've already deactivated preview.

Also in OBS I have no game recording and monitor recording in the same scene.

At the moment I could imagine that OBS itself is causing the problem.

When I look at people's hardware on Youtube and Twitch and also see the FPS in the stream or video, I don't understand how it works with them.
There are very many with a pc and they don't even know the problem. They have a 60Hz monitor for OBS and 144Hz or higher for gaming.

Some of them have worse hardware than me! :(

I've also thought about whether it could be due to the monitor cables.?

FerretBomb

Are you still there?
Sorry about that, bud! I didn't get a ping, as you didn't reply to my post (or mention @FerretBomb in your response).

I see what you're talking about in that clip. Actually, that looks like a subtle manifestation of a DX12 out-of-order frame glitch. When it's really bad you can see a few frames into the past/future during the stutter. I believe the devs are working on pinning it down.
Looking at your logfile, it does look like you're running Cold War in DX12 mode.
Try running it in DX11 mode instead. If nothing else, it'll rule that out as a possible cause. Here's a link on how to do that:

I have the same problem. However, I use 4 monitors. 1 is set to 120 Hz and the others are set to 60 Hz and OBS to 60 FPS. In game I set everything to 60 FPS. I also switched on game mode (has been recommended for a while) and I start OBS as admin.

I've tried around a little the days and always get the same lag. Use X264 instead of Nvenc (Nvenc works worse with my RTX 2070 than with my Ryzen 9 3900x). Game recording and monitor recording have the same effect. Likewise, V-Sync on and off.
I've already deactivated preview.

Also in OBS I have no game recording and monitor recording in the same scene.

At the moment I could imagine that OBS itself is causing the problem.

When I look at people's hardware on Youtube and Twitch and also see the FPS in the stream or video, I don't understand how it works with them.
There are very many with a pc and they don't even know the problem. They have a 60Hz monitor for OBS and 144Hz or higher for gaming.

Some of them have worse hardware than me! :(

I've also thought about whether it could be due to the monitor cables.?
It'd be best to start your own thread about your issue, with a logfile from a recording or streaming session where the issue occurred, rather than jumping in on someone else's (probably entirely unrelated) issue thread. :)
Feel free to ping me and I'll be happy to take a look and do what I can to help you get things sorted out.

lloftin96

Sorry about that, bud! I didn't get a ping, as you didn't reply to my post (or mention @FerretBomb in your response).

I see what you're talking about in that clip. Actually, that looks like a subtle manifestation of a DX12 out-of-order frame glitch. When it's really bad you can see a few frames into the past/future during the stutter. I believe the devs are working on pinning it down.
Looking at your logfile, it does look like you're running Cold War in DX12 mode.
Try running it in DX11 mode instead. If nothing else, it'll rule that out as a possible cause. Here's a link on how to do that:

It'd be best to start your own thread about your issue, with a logfile from a recording or streaming session where the issue occurred, rather than jumping in on someone else's (probably entirely unrelated) issue thread. :)
Feel free to ping me and I'll be happy to take a look and do what I can to help you get things sorted out.
Sorry for not mentioning you directly/replying to your message! I am new on the forum as you can tell, but again, I appreciate your help so much. I will definitely change to DX11 and try that out next stream (which should be tonight) and I will let you know how it goes!

lloftin96

https://obsproject.com/logs/uhazETA0XgNVp7el Here is the log file from my last stream. It definitely looks better after making the change to DX11! Let me know if there is anything else that you see in the log files that may be an issue. If not, thank you again so so much for the help.

lloftin96

https://obsproject.com/logs/uhazETA0XgNVp7el Here is the log file from my last stream. It definitely looks better after making the change to DX11! Let me know if there is anything else that you see in the log files that may be an issue. If not, thank you again so so much for the help.
https://obsproject.com/logs/doy8irnuuDVMpbDo Here is a second log file from my second stream tonight. I seemed to have more stutters again than my earlier stream. I tried to get a clip but i had music playing in the background and twitch wont let you clip anything with copyrighted music. Do you see anything weird?

FerretBomb

03:04:08.475: [game-capture: 'Game Capture'] We're DXGI1.4 boys!
03:04:08.475: [game-capture: 'Game Capture'] Buffer count: 2, swap effect: 4
03:04:08.536: [game-capture: 'Game Capture'] d3d12 shared texture capture successful
03:04:08.546: [game-capture: 'Game Capture'] shared texture capture successful
According to the logfile, you're still running in DX12 mode, not DX11.

Be aware that the VOD mutes and clip-prevention are solely to protect Twitch, not you. If they get a subpoena, they will provide an un-muted copy of your stream to the copyright owner for use as evidence.
Even beyond that, Warner and Paramount are currently live-matching audio for every stream on Twitch, regardless of size. They aren't sending out automated DMCAs... yet.
It is an EXTREMELY BAD IDEA to play unlicensed music on-stream, just because no one is currently being sued into a 'life over' state. Worst-case would be Warner/Paramount saving clips of infractions to build up an evidence bank of a recurring pattern of infringement, before directly suing everyone. Each play of a copyrighted song can carry penalties in the low to middle five-digit range, as the broadcasting schedule is set up to punish commercial radio stations.
Don't. Really.

lloftin96

According to the logfile, you're still running in DX12 mode, not DX11.

Be aware that the VOD mutes and clip-prevention are solely to protect Twitch, not you. If they get a subpoena, they will provide an un-muted copy of your stream to the copyright owner for use as evidence.
Even beyond that, Warner and Paramount are currently live-matching audio for every stream on Twitch, regardless of size. They aren't sending out automated DMCAs... yet.
It is an EXTREMELY BAD IDEA to play unlicensed music on-stream, just because no one is currently being sued into a 'life over' state. Worst-case would be Warner/Paramount saving clips of infractions to build up an evidence bank of a recurring pattern of infringement, before directly suing everyone. Each play of a copyrighted song can carry penalties in the low to middle five-digit range, as the broadcasting schedule is set up to punish commercial radio stations.
Don't. Really.
@FerretBomb I know the music thing is an issue obviously, but I just take it day by day haha. Anyways, I followed the article you sent and changed it to DX11 but I guess it didn't change..? Maybe I have to try it again. I wonder if there is a way to check if it worked before I actually start streaming.

lloftin96

@FerretBomb I know the music thing is an issue obviously, but I just take it day by day haha. Anyways, I followed the article you sent and changed it to DX11 but I guess it didn't change..? Maybe I have to try it again. I wonder if there is a way to check if it worked before I actually start streaming.
To follow this up, I just checked and the code I was supposed to enter to change it was on there already from the first time I typed it, so I don't know why it wasn't applied.. I guess I will reenter it and try again