Question / Help Steam/Origin let the Bitrate dance

TheMarcster

Hey Guys, I have an urgent question :)

If I try to use OBS to stream while Steam or Origin is on, the bitrate goes down like Boromir riding the waterfall.
If they are off, it stays at 6000 kb/s. And while they are on, its fluctuates between 6000 and 400, going up and down quickly.
With Uplay on, everything is fine. It seems to be just those two bandits. Unfortunately I want to stream Steam/Origin games too like Mass Effect.
What can I do about that? Is this a known issue or is there a setting to be adjusted?

I tried to lower the bitrate, but its the same effect. Quick drops all over again.

Thank you :D
The log is made with Steam on, which is the same effect as when Origin is.
I'll post another one with neither on to show that streaming is fine then.

Attachments

• 2018-11-21 17-21-16.txt
    12.5 KB · Views: 26

TheMarcster

Here is the log without Steam or Origin running. It just stays stable the whole time. What can I do? :(

Attachments

• 2018-11-21 18-05-33.txt
    7.3 KB · Views: 23

koala

Check if Steam or Origin isn't downloading or uploading something in background. Some game, game update, some savegames, screenshots, whatever.
While they do this, your internet connection may be congested by this data transfer and the OBS stream suffers.
You see this by starting Windows task manager and check the network usage in the first tab (by program: you are able to identify which program is using network bandwidth) and second tab (globally: you see which network bandwidth is used by adding everything).

TheMarcster

Check if Steam or Origin isn't downloading or uploading something in background. Some game, game update, some savegames, screenshots, whatever.
While they do this, your internet connection may be congested by this data transfer and the OBS stream suffers.
You see this by starting Windows task manager and check the network usage in the first tab (by program: you are able to identify which program is using network bandwidth) and second tab (globally: you see which network bandwidth is used by adding everything).

Thanks for your reply :) But the strange thing is, they don't drain any bandwidth.
The only things that do use the network are chrome, obs itself and the game.

sugarynugs

you are maxing out your upload

17:56:34.833: Output 'simple_stream': Number of dropped frames due to insufficient bandwidth/connection stalls: 885 (18.1%)

try 3500

TheMarcster

you are maxing out your upload

17:56:34.833: Output 'simple_stream': Number of dropped frames due to insufficient bandwidth/connection stalls: 885 (18.1%)

try 3500

Tried that too. Same effect, quick drops and rising when S/O are on, no drops when S/O are off. Even if I do with 1000 or less it'd say that theres no more bandwidth. :( (but I do have a 20 mbit upload connection though, it shouldn't eat it up at all

Edit: I added an attachement of the results with 3500 steam on. When steam off there aren't drops, as I said before I think ;)

Attachments

• 2018-11-21 19-41-45.txt
    7.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited: