Solution for "Black Screen" Display Capture even after performing the steps on OBS forum

Eucliwood

I use OBS to record my screen completely (i.e, not a particular window or a particular game) which is why I needed to use Display Capture in OBS but it was showing me the black screen. Now this had happened before but at that time, I used the solution on the OBS Forum about changing the NVIDIA settings to make OBS use Integrated Graphics and it worked back then.

Now after some months or so, I updated both my Windows 10 and OBS and that solution stopped working. After checking the log files, I found out that even after forcing OBS to use integrated graphics in NVIDIA settings panel, It was using NVIDIA instead of Integrated. So, after a bit of searching here and there, I found a working solution.

Here's the solution for making Display Capture work on OBS if OBS shows black screen even after changing the NVIDIA Settings:

I have an Intel Integrated graphics card and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050Ti in my Laptop and Somehow OBS didn't want to use Intel even if I set the option in NVIDIA settings panel. So, after a bit of searching on the Internet, I found this blog. And then I changed the settings of Windows to force OBS to use the integrated graphics instead of NVIDIA. And It worked out perfectly!

Here are the steps to perform the solution:
1. Open Windows settings
2. Go to system > display
3. scroll all the way to the bottom
4. open the "Graphics settings"
5. click on browse
6. select the OBS executable file (Default location: C:\Program Files\obs-studio\bin\64bit\obs64.exe)
7. after adding it, click on its name, click on options
8. select Power Saving under which your integrated card's name will be
9. save it and restart OBS

I hope this helps all those who are facing this problem.

HJB

OMG lifesaver. This a new 1909 Windows thing. Only started after the update. I think perhaps Windows is trying to force all us OBS users to check into their settings.

Eucliwood

OMG lifesaver. This a new 1909 Windows thing. Only started after the update. I think perhaps Windows is trying to force all us OBS users to check into their settings.
I'm glad it was of help to someone! Well, I don't really know why this happened but my best guess would be NVIDIA is just not able to force OBS to use Integrated graphics card for some reason (Which may or may not be due to Windows).

HJB

I'm glad it was of help to someone! Well, I don't really know why this happened but my best guess would be NVIDIA is just not able to force OBS to use Integrated graphics card for some reason (Which may or may not be due to Windows).

Well I noticed in 1903 Windows had transferred a ton of Regedit permissions to Trusted Installer, disabling many keys and entries from administrator ownership and editing permissions, such as the entry which allows cmd to be added to the context menu with a shift right click (power shell only now). So They may have disabled some permission from Nvidia too. Anyway, I was trying everything, the classic methods such as the Nvidia graphics panel and the run as admin option were not working. This is a really lucky find, maybe only found this by setting browser to search only for last month of results. Really amazing tip thanks again!

herogee

Thanks a ton Eucliwood! I was going crazy with that effin' thing. Sick and tired of Microsoft constantly changing the way things work.

Last edited:

DeathShot

I created this account just to let you know how amazing you are, thank you so much. It was working create with no tweaks and today I updated it and got a black screen. I ran as an administrator, pulled out my external monitors, removed all peripherals, changed the settings in Nvidia, ran it compatability mode, tried the 32bit version, tried closing all my apps and opening them one at a time, disabling hardware acceleration, all the while thinking this is all bullcrap. I just wanted to tell you THANK YOU.

Jacky507

Hello everyone! I recently made the mistake of updating my Windows and now OBS has cursed me with the "Infamous Black Screen of Death". I've been trying to figure out solutions for the past two nights now, and as you may guess i'm getting pretty frustrated. I tried running in admin mode, reinstalling the current version for 64 bit and 32 bit. I even installed a past version and still no luck. I tried right clicking on OBS and selecting the specific graphics card for it to use, but I was greeted with a "You don't have permission to use this" message and it redirected me to the NVIDIA control panel. I've looked online and through this forum non stop, and everyone seems to think changing the "3D settings" in the NVIDIA control panel works, but naturally when I tried it was to no avail. I thought it might just be a software issue, so I downloaded StreamLabs OBS and I got the same issue. My friend suggested that my monitor is screwing me over because it will only use the intel graphics card, so we disabled that, but then the Default windows monitor graphics kicked in and made everything huge. My laptop is an ASUS Predator, but I don't believe it's a hardware issue, as OBS used to work before the new WIndows update. I went to announcement link here that spoke about the issues NVIDIA causes for OBS, but none of those tips let my OBS capture my screen. The audio is there, and text can be put up, but it just can't seem to capture my screen. I'm getting pretty sick of doing the same thing over, and my just factory reset my laptop. If you guys have any advice on what to do please throw me a bone. Hell I even tried going into the DOS startup screen to see if I could change the start up graphics, but that didn't work.

Edit : Used your method and it worked Perfectly! Thank you so much. Also here is a youtube vid I found for anyone who needs visual help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fcSFeLS1iw

Last edited:

SyncSystems

I literally made an account just to thank you. What a piece of shit Windows can be sometimes. You're a real lifesaver, thanks so much. I'm on an AMD/Intel laptop and this is what worked for me.

Redmondus

LEGEND - thanking you so much for writing these instructions out for everyones benefit - much appreciated.

If this thread is not stickied which I don't know if it is then it very well should be

New member first time posting and I also just joined to show my appreciation for these clear and concise instructions.

Cheers

fakkoweb

Hello there..
I am sorry to be the one disappointing but. I recently installed Win10 1909. I did not install ANY driver, in fact Windows did it all by itself.

Installed OBS.
I have my Nvidia Control Panel there. Made it to Integrated Graphics.
I have my Graphics settings set to Power Saver (correspondent to my integrated graphics).
I even tried uninstalling completely from Device Manager my GPU.
Nothing. OBS is still black and silent.
From task manager I can see OBS using my integrated GPU and that's it.

Any experience from you on this? What could I be missing?

fakkoweb

I solved it somehow (?)

In addition to the suggested settings, I solved by:
- uninstalling graphic card from Device Manager
- restarting (it will install it back)
- reopening Graphics Preference Settings
- Setting to Power saver again OBS plus other executables I could find in the same settings

Not sure if this really helped me or not. But I am NOT changing it.
capture20200220165558250.png

Saad Arif

Thanks a lot for your solution. You saved my life and brain from being wasted at this damn issue after windows update.

ginnotsuyo

I use OBS to record my screen completely (i.e, not a particular window or a particular game) which is why I needed to use Display Capture in OBS but it was showing me the black screen. Now this had happened before but at that time, I used the solution on the OBS Forum about changing the NVIDIA settings to make OBS use Integrated Graphics and it worked back then.

Now after some months or so, I updated both my Windows 10 and OBS and that solution stopped working. After checking the log files, I found out that even after forcing OBS to use integrated graphics in NVIDIA settings panel, It was using NVIDIA instead of Integrated. So, after a bit of searching here and there, I found a working solution.

Here's the solution for making Display Capture work on OBS if OBS shows black screen even after changing the NVIDIA Settings:

I have an Intel Integrated graphics card and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050Ti in my Laptop and Somehow OBS didn't want to use Intel even if I set the option in NVIDIA settings panel. So, after a bit of searching on the Internet, I found this blog. And then I changed the settings of Windows to force OBS to use the integrated graphics instead of NVIDIA. And It worked out perfectly!

Here are the steps to perform the solution:
1. Open Windows settings
2. Go to system > display
3. scroll all the way to the bottom
4. open the "Graphics settings"
5. click on browse
6. select the OBS executable file (Default location: C:\Program Files\obs-studio\bin\64bit\obs64.exe)
7. after adding it, click on its name, click on options
8. select Power Saving under which your integrated card's name will be
9. save it and restart OBS

I hope this helps all those who are facing this problem.
You are amazing! Just created this account to let you know how thankful I am for sharing the only solution that worked for me and a friend to make this work again! Cheers!