Single PC Streaming Feels Like My Monitor Refresh Rate is Lower?

Cascoh

Hey guys,

I am going to try to keep this short with providing as much information as possible. I like to lock my fps in all my games to 144, the same as my manitor. Off stream things feel great as they should but once I start streaming my faster movements feel/look more scratchy/grainy. Its really hard to explain which is why its hard to ask such a vague question like this. My FPS is always locked at 144 whether I'm on or off stream so I know its not my frames. Would anyone have an answer for this? Is this normal for single PC streaming and not just my rig? Games just look and feel smoother off stream even tho my fps is capped at all times I can literally press start streaming and instantly feel the Hz go lower.. Its more noticeable on faster mouse swipes. Some people say its due to Aero on Win10 not being able to be disabled or even streaming with different refresh rate monitors. I've done testing with my 60hz monitor unplugged from my PC and it was still there. I also disabled NVIDIA Shadowplay thinking an overlay could be the issue. I've made sure all my OBS settings are correct and they are, No dropped frames, No FPS drops in game, No stutters.. nothing. Its not a huge deal but I feel like I cant enjoy my hardware to its full potential. Any single PC streamers feel this or is it just me?

PC:
Windows-10 64 Bit
Ryzen 3900x
RTX 2070 Super
16gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz
2 - ASUS VG248QE 1920x1080 144Hz
1 - Benq 1920x1080 @ 60Hz
NVIDIA Control Panel set on Performance

OBS:
NVENC Encoder
Max Quality
6k Bitrate
900p
Game Capture only locked at 60fps recording cap.
No animations for Stream Overlay

qhobbes

Use Quality instead of Max Quality and make sure Look-ahead and Psycho Visual Tuning are not checked as all 3 of these increase GPU utilization.
If you have monitors with different rates connected at the same time, make sure you have Windows 10 2004 installed.

Cascoh

Use Quality instead of Max Quality and make sure Look-ahead and Psycho Visual Tuning are not checked as all 3 of these increase GPU utilization.
If you have monitors with different rates connected at the same time, make sure you have Windows 10 2004 installed.
Thank you so much for the advice man! I used the "Log Analyzer" and it suggested a lot of improvements I thought was okay. I changed to all the settings they recommended and all I'm waiting on is the Windows 10 2004 update as it seems they are rolling it out slowly to the public. Unless there is a way I can download it that you know about?

qhobbes

I installed it when it stated it was available and through that link on a different PC. There was no warning, but there was no prompt in Windows Update.

If there is some warning, such as "Your Device is not ready", you should probably follow it and not manually install the update via that link.

Some people on Microsoft forums reported it was ok manually. Reddit people stated disconnecting external drives and card readers worked for that issue in 1903. Make sure your drivers and bios are up-to-date. Use the device manger. Sometimes there's update there that don't arrive through Windows Update.