Resource icon

Simple scene switcher 0.6

ThoNohT

Developer
I have been looking into porting it to obs-mp a few months ago. The major issue I ran into then was that there was no way for me to actually create some kind of settings interface for the plugin. Until that is resolved, I don't think I'll spend too much time on this, unless I make it just work with a configuration file which a user has to manually create. That's not the most user-friendly option though.

marineuac

we need a port, everything has gone down south! you must save us from destruction!!! we wont survive out much longer with out sceneswitcher ported over to obs_multiplatform!!! our planet will make due with just a simple configuration file.

CMS Studio Lion

This plugin is wonderful! Only thing that would make it even more awesome is the following for multidisplay setups:

Scene swaps to wichever monitor has the Mouse Cursor on it...

I do tons of desktop videos with bunches of applications up, spread out on the 2 monitors I have (a third one on the way).
This means I had to put in a LOT of windows that will trigger the scene swaping. Would be silly convenient if this was controlled by where the Mouse Cursor is instead of wich window is in focus. A lot of times, my mouse sweeps over a window without putting that window as the active one. That does not trigger the scene swap.
For example, I have excel on one screen, photo images on the other in an explorer window. I only hover the mouse on one image to show and tell what I'm typing in the excel sheet. Hence the excel win is in focus even though I'm talking about an image preview on the other monitor. - Stuff like this is where I'd need a mouse "tracking" scene switcher rather then window focus. :)
For clarifying, I only use scene switcher to actually record the different monitors in same 1920x1080 resoultion videos.

I have been looking into porting it to obs-mp a few months ago. The major issue I ran into then was that there was no way for me to actually create some kind of settings interface for the plugin. Until that is resolved, I don't think I'll spend too much time on this, unless I make it just work with a configuration file which a user has to manually create. That's not the most user-friendly option though.

Well I would be willing to deal with a text file to do configuration until a better solution can be figured out

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer

Well I would be willing to deal with a text file to do configuration until a better solution can be figured out

I was just looking for functionality like this in OBS Studio. I would also be willing to deal with a text file for config for this. I don't know if the situation regarding config/property UIs for non-source plugins has changed since this was last looked at, or maybe they're the same. Personally, I'd rather have the functionality available in OBS Studio and have to do some text-file manipulation than not have it at all. I don't know enough about OBS development in any way to help code, but if you need help proofreading text, checking UI, or testing an OBS Studio version, that's something I can do.

Sam Katakouzinos

Can this plugin switch scenes on a window being loaded, rather than being the active window?
I run a game in windowed mode and have other windows on top that they themselves be active while I play.
Especially, I'd like the scene switcher to select a scene once the game in question no longer has a window, ie, the game no longer runs.

So, can this plugin work on detecting windows loaded rather than them being selected?

Userwithaname

Since the source-code is provided, I would like to request instructions for compiling and installing it on Linux (and Mac). Is there any existing OBS documentation or manuals which may help with that?
The plugin is not installed by default (using the stable Ubuntu PPA).

ThoNohT

Developer
This plugin uses dedicated windows functionality, compiling and installing it on Linux/Mac is not going to work, you'd have to implement the platform specific functionality before this can be any good on those platforms.

Sam Katakouzinos: This is difficult, it constantly polls for the active window. It can poll for loaded windows, but which of the list of windows would be the one you would want to switch on? It doesn't detect the event of a new window being loaded / activated.

Homezonebenny

Hi ThoNohT,
how's about the same external scene switcher with a local network feature for a 2 PC streaming setup.
Instead of switching the scene instantly this tool sends the "pressed hotkey" to the streaming PC receiver tool, which press the defined hotkey (emulate it) on the streaming PC.
So every OBS scene on the streaming PC needs a hotkey, so that the receiver can switch the scenes.

Just for an example:
  • "When no window title matches": CTRL + SHIFT + Numblock 0
  • Chose the PVP.net client and set the hotkey: CTRL + SHIFT + Numblock 1
  • Chose the League of Legends game set the hotkey: CTRL + SHIFT + Numblock 2
Everytime something happens the external scene switcher sends a hotkey to the 2nd PC (streaming PC) and the software on the streaming PC gets this via local network and press that hotkey for you on the streaming PC to switch the scene.

Sure, you need to set hotkeys for every scene. And you need to know which hotkey every scene have.
But that's not a big deal :)
Just exactly the same scene switcher program like it's now. But instead of a scene you set a hotkey to send.
But I guess the tool would need one more feature. A "Sending hotkeys" field.
So that you can switch scenes manually.

Like:
  • "Set a hotkey to toggle Scene Switcher": CTRL + SHIFT + Numblock -
  • After you disabled the auto scene switcher you manually can switch to a scene like AFK: CTRL + SHIFT + Num 9
So people with a 2 PC configuration would be able to use the auto scene switcher like it is right now.
With OBS Classic and OBS Studio for sure :)

ThoNohT

Developer
For OBS classic I would advise to take a look at OBS remote. You'd just need to write something that detects the active window and talks to OBS remote. This is beyond the scope of the scene switcher I'd think.

For OBS Studio, something similar to OBS Remote should probably be written at some point, which just exposes a web api that can be used for basic functions like switching scenes and starting/stopping the stream.

DTP

Hello, Im a new streamer and I have a question about using scene switcher

My current set up is dual PC with an avermedia capture card

I currently have OBS on my streaming PC only

When I try to set up scene switcher my streaming PC does not see the LOL client, game scenes, etc.

Am I missing some way of setting up scene switcher that will work without having to manually change the scene?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!