James Hern

I'm using an HP ENVY dv6 Notebook PC and Steam for recording only, no streaming yet. No graphics card. I'd appreciate someone letting me know how to get a slightly sharper image. I don't know what most individual changes do yet but I've tried tweaking one at a time for a sharper image and nothing yet.
Current Output settings:
MP4
Encoder x264
Rescale output: 1336x768
Rate control: VBR
Bitrate: 80000 Kbps
CRF: 10
Keyframe interval: 2
CPU usage: ultrafast
Profile: high
Tune: none

Video settings:
Base resolution: 1366x768
Output resolution: 1366x768
Downscale filter: lanczos
Common FPS: 60

Please help.

Narcogen

Simple output mode, indistinguishable quality, large file size. Don't record to mp4. Use mkv and remux afterwards.

For customized settings run the auto-configuration wizard in the tools menu.

For just sharpening you can add a sharpen filter to your capture source.

James Hern

Simple output mode, indistinguishable quality, large file size. Don't record to mp4. Use mkv and remux afterwards.

For customized settings run the auto-configuration wizard in the tools menu.

For just sharpening you can add a sharpen filter to your capture source.
Good morning. Your advice was very helpful. Question: what do you recommend buying for a HP Envy dv6 Notebook PC (core i5) that'll allow OBS to record sharper quality and not lag? Is there hardware I can buy?
I currently record games on steam.

Narcogen

No, not really. Capture hardware doesn't make sense in a single PC configuration, and the components that would improve performance are the CPU and GPU which you generally can't replace in a laptop.

James Hern

No, not really. Capture hardware doesn't make sense in a single PC configuration, and the components that would improve performance are the CPU and GPU which you generally can't replace in a laptop.
Hello, there. Hope you’re doing great. Question: any tips on how to run both steam and OBS in a way that steam does not lag? The lag is only slight but I’m trying to get the best possible recording. Thanks in advance.