Screen Capture Resolution Issues for Youtube?

Lolrider

Hey all,

New to recording, I was hoping someone might have a quick answer to my question.

My current monitor sucks, it's a 10+ year old Dell laptop. In order to get decent quality, I have BG3 windowed at a 16:10 Aspect Ratio, but only a 1280 x 800 Resolution. It looks decent on my screen, but it's definitely small and doesn't look good in Youtube, at least with my current settings. I think it looks good /enough/ but it definitely doesn't compare to most Youtube videos.

I don't know if there's anything I can do within OBS to improve my video quality. Can I record raw input at whatever resolution I want, or am I married to my monitor? If I wanted to get a monitor that would help me record videos at a decent quality, what features should I be looking for? Am I completely missing the mark here?

I've browsed the forums and a bit, but there's so much information on here that it's hard to parse. Thanks for the help.

qhobbes

It's generally recommended that you use a 16:9 resolution for YouTube videos; probably 1280x720 in your case.
AFAIK, you can't make a game render at a higher resolution than your screen. I can't make Half-Life 2 or Command & Conquer Remastered render at higher than 2560x1440 (the highest resolution of my screen).

However, if I was using an external device such as a PS5 with compatible capture card, I could (theoretically), capture content at 4K.

Lolrider

It's generally recommended that you use a 16:9 resolution for YouTube videos; probably 1280x720 in your case.
AFAIK, you can't make a game render at a higher resolution than your screen. I can't make Half-Life 2 or Command & Conquer Remastered render at higher than 2560x1440 (the highest resolution of my screen).

However, if I was using an external device such as a PS5 with compatible capture card, I could (theoretically), capture content at 4K.

Interesting, thank you for the reply.

This is all greek to me, I hadn't even considered the idea of recording in 4k. I'll start with your suggestion when buying a new monitor, since I need one anyway, and I'll see how I feel after that.