Ryzen 5900X - RTX 3070 - OBS LAGGING my PC (recording & streaming)

XyonusTV

Hi!

I recently build a decent gaming PC and now I'm running into issues when it comes to streaming & recording.
I have a great network connection, that's not the problem at all (600 mb/s upload - 940 download), PC is solid (5900X, RTX 3070, 32GB 3200mhz CL16 RAM, M.2 SSD - Kingston A2000 1TB).

If i stream in 720p 60fps (4500 - 6000 bitrate) - NVENC - I have no lag at all, everything works fine, BUT when I'm trying to stream in 1080p 60fps I'm having LAG everywhere (If i go in a browser for example and I'm spamming 2 letters on and on, eventually after a few seconds my pc will repeat one of the letters as if I'm holding that key pressed "dddddddddd" for example), so my entire PC is lagging, not continously but every few seconds.
When it comes to recording, same thing happens, I've tried X264, NVENC, NVENC (new), the recording will stutter a lot but the game itself will run smooth on screen.

Recording with Shadowplay at 50mb/s bitrate works FLAWLESSLY, no issues at all.

What I've tried:
Different enconders & settings - CBR/CQP - Quality Preset
Variable bitrates: from 3000 to 6000
Disabled the Preview in OBS
Disabled Game DVR
Run as Administrator

Is this an issue on AMD CPU's? I'd switch to Intel in a minute if this would fix the issue, just can't find a solution for this.

How can I make OBS work properly? I'm running every single game, maxed out, no issues at all but can't handle OBS apparently.

I'd really appreciate your help guys.

Lawrence_SoCal

quick reply from a non-gamer while waiting for someone more knowledgeable than I to respond
- After a reading of most every post on this site over last year, I've not read anything other that user self-inflicted issues with AMD CPUs. Personally, I prefer/recommend AMD over Intel at the moment. GPU - different discussion. Bottom line - highly unlikely CPU is your issue

per pinned note in this forum
Be sure to run a stream or recording for a few minutes at least for data capture in the OBS log

One issue that has come up rather regularly (from what I can tell, I don't game so I don't pay attention to specific resolution details, is recent OBS update, Windows updates, and 3rd party plug-ins (often streamelements)... and the plug-ins being the cause of the problem. ymmv

Running as admin is often recommended without clarification of implication. Per forum admin/authors (from what I can tell), running OBS Admin is something to do *when* you have resource contention, and you want to increase OBS's process priority (especially in GPU scheduling) vs other processes. For last 25+ years for WinNT forward, recommended practice is for a user to NOT be a local admin (and I'm a strong adherent to that principle). If your whole PC is lagging, then most likely your CPU is overloaded, or you have a data I/O bottleneck somewhere

And if your PC is nearly maxed out with whatever you are doing, and then you want to add real-time video encoding on top of that (especially if you add certain CPU intensive OBS effects/filters), then sure, you'll overwhelm your system... as expected. So trick is t manage h/w resource demands (though you obviously have an upper-end system. But is that a B450/550 mobo with the compromised (potential bottleneck) PCIe v3 chipset interface (vs the x570s PCIe v4)? depends on what you are doing as to whether that would impact you are not...
Are you running OBS in Studio Mode (duplicating GPU rendering)? or re-scaling stream output (I read, not sure accuracy) that drops to CPU encoding regardless.. so let's see your logs and see what is going on...

XyonusTV

quick reply from a non-gamer while waiting for someone more knowledgeable than I to respond
- After a reading of most every post on this site over last year, I've not read anything other that user self-inflicted issues with AMD CPUs. Personally, I prefer/recommend AMD over Intel at the moment. GPU - different discussion. Bottom line - highly unlikely CPU is your issue

Be sure to run a stream or recording for a few minutes at least for data capture in the OBS log

One issue that has come up rather regularly (from what I can tell, I don't game so I don't pay attention to specific resolution details, is recent OBS update, Windows updates, and 3rd party plug-ins (often streamelements)... and the plug-ins being the cause of the problem. ymmv

Running as admin is often recommended without clarification of implication. Per forum admin/authors (from what I can tell), running OBS Admin is something to do *when* you have resource contention, and you want to increase OBS's process priority (especially in GPU scheduling) vs other processes. For last 25+ years for WinNT forward, recommended practice is for a user to NOT be a local admin (and I'm a strong adherent to that principle). If your whole PC is lagging, then most likely your CPU is overloaded, or you have a data I/O bottleneck somewhere

And if your PC is nearly maxed out with whatever you are doing, and then you want to add real-time video encoding on top of that (especially if you add certain CPU intensive OBS effects/filters), then sure, you'll overwhelm your system... as expected. So trick is t manage h/w resource demands (though you obviously have an upper-end system. But is that a B450/550 mobo with the compromised (potential bottleneck) PCIe v3 chipset interface (vs the x570s PCIe v4)? depends on what you are doing as to whether that would impact you are not...
Are you running OBS in Studio Mode (duplicating GPU rendering)? or re-scaling stream output (I read, not sure accuracy) that drops to CPU encoding regardless.. so let's see your logs and see what is going on...

Thank you for your response.

I'm currently using a Asus Strix B550-E Mobo, couldn't find any good X570 motherboards in stock (had a Gigabyte Aorux X570 Pro before but that mobo was unable to boot even after bios update so I picked up something that was available from Asus).

I'm using Streamlab OBS, I don't have many filters & scenes, all I have is a webcam overlay & twitch alerts, that's about it. I was also thinking of the M.2 SSD being limited by the PCIe gen 3 but I don't think that's the case as when I'm recording with Nvidia Shadowplay @ 50mb/s everything works perfectly.

My pc is barely loaded when I'm streaming, I'm not seeing more than 20-30% CPU usage, and the GPU is also far from being used at 100%.
I also tried OBS Studio to see if it was a software issue but the sane thing happened with OBS Studio and only 1 Game Capture source
I was also thinking of trying out Xsplit to see if I'll have any issue with it.

I'll post a log soon.

XyonusTV

Here's my log for a short recording with the issue being present.

Attachments

• 2021-01-23 22-21-49.txt
    43.1 KB · Views: 213
D

Deleted member 121471

This forum does not offer support for Streamlabs OBS. Following is the correct website to look for help with any issues concerning their fork of OBS:

If you want further help here, post a OBS Studio log with a streaming or recording session. Instructions following:

Lastly, how are your CPU and GPU temperatures under load?

TeaWolf

Lastly, how are your CPU and GPU temperatures under load?
^This would've been nice to know from the start lol.

highly unlikely CPU is your issue
I think the CPU is likely the issue since they experience problems when using the CPU encoder, not just the NVIDIA Encoder; as well as during recording, which would use the CPU obviously, and not the GPU. But that's just my opinion.

maciomacio

Hello!
I'm from Italy excuse me for my poor english.

I have a PC with Ryzen 5900X and RTX 3070Ti founder edition on a Gigabyte Aorus Pro AX with X570s Chispet and Windows 11

IF I use the Nvidia Drivers from Nvida site OBS always crash or freeze, sometime also the PC freeze
this appen ONLY when I use OBS Studio with ALL other application or games or streaming app all work fine

BUT if I use the Microsoft Nvidia drivers for my Rtx 3070Ti OBS studio works very very well !

I've opened a ticket with nvidia support and they DO NOT solve my problem also with several check and
re-install etc
I've made all the tests asket to me from nvida support but nothing solve my problem.

If I use the SAME driver version from Nvidia OBS crash... if I use the same version from Microsoft OBS work well !

I've tried all kind of settings on OBS...

I've tried all versions older and latests of Nvidia Driver from nvidia site but all have the same problem

OBS studio work only with Microsoft Nvidia driver.

I have this issue from the first installation in february 2022 until now

I rested in contact with nvidia support for months... now they have leave the battle...

There is someone that have the same issue ?

thanks a lot

MM

Attachments

• Crash 2023-03-01 20-26-43.txt
    122.9 KB · Views: 15