Robotic Audio Input - Both ASIO Input and USB Input

Starcoma

Starting about two weeks ago - after downloading the most recent version of OBS (0.26), I have started having audio problems where the microphone audio, or the ASIO Input audio has started crackling and making me sound like some kind of deranged robot.

The problem can only be heard at the viewer end of the stream, and seems to be caused by me doing too many things on my computer. Be it opening Chrome/A Game/Discord/iTunes/moving between scenes in OBS. But this has been no different to how I have operated for months. I’m not doing anything more or less than before.

I have also tried using Streamlabs OBS, believing the problem to be the newest OBS update (even though rolling back to a previous version does not resolve the problem), and while Streamlabs seemed to handle it for a while, it eventually succumbed to the same audio glitching. After which, I tried using X-Split, and that worked absolutely fine.

To make it even more strange, the EXACT same set up, works absolutely fine in RPAN Studio as well (Reddit’s version of OBS for RPAN). I get absolutely zero audio problems in RPAN, even if I am streaming on Twitch at the same time where I could be having audio problems.

The last stream that went perfectly fine happened on the Monday before I updated OBS, and have since been unable to stream without audio problems.

Example 1: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/840363150

Example 2: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/841485617

Example 3: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/841504668

The only way to resolve this issue at the moment is to restart OBS - not ideal during a livestream.

fatmatrow

Set all the audio devices that OBS is using and OBS to the same sample rate. That's usually the cause of this issue.

fatmatrow

I have ensured everything is the same, and unfortunately - the problem persists.
What about upping the latency of your input device? That can definitely cause crackling if set too low (if the option is available, but it usually is with asio devices)

Starcoma

What about upping the latency of your input device? That can definitely cause crackling if set too low (if the option is available, but it usually is with asio devices)

Unfortunately, that is not the issue I am having. The audio cracking is at the viewer end, not mine. So it is not a latency issue.

JohnBBeta

Following this as having same audio symptom - in a very busy OBS set up. Using a USB audio device as main audio capture. Thought I’d isolated it to when Streamlabs alerts came on via the browser input (was knocking out all audio) but also sometimes had the exact same glitching in your video there. Wondering if it might be a memory maxing out thing? Current plan to diagnose is remove all audio from Streamlabs alerts and also putting the audio interface source at the top of the list in all scenes in case there’s any priority involved. Will reply again if I get anywhere...

JohnBBeta

No Audio glitches on last stream. I had streamlabs alerts active, but removed the audio from them (in streamlabs) and also muted the streamlabs browser source in the OBS audio sources mixer.

Another thing I did, which I have no idea if OBS works like this, but was to make sure that my USB Audio interface, which is the source of the main audio I use on stream, was the 1st in the list of all sources in every scene - rather than a ways down towards the bottom as it had been previously.

If there are any Devs here - would you be able to confirm wether or not the position of a source in a scene, in the list, has any bearing on it's 'priority' in how things are handled in OBS? ie - if things are running close to the max, presumably media, or audio would start jittering if it was in a source lower down the 'list' of sources in a scene? thanks.