Restart video recording device

zhHighwayRacer03

How can I have my video capture device, such as my Elgato, turn off after a timer of time and then turn back on? (A reboot) Timer or plugin

Last edited:

AaronD

You'll have to define in technical terms what "turning off" and "rebooting" actually mean. I've seen people use those terms to mean anything from simply switching scenes to physically unplugging, and several things in between. So what's actually needed?

The timer part can be done with the Advanced Scene Switcher plugin:
It can automate almost anything in response to almost anything. Use the Date condition for a "wall clock" time, or the timer that's included with any condition to require the condition to be true for that time before triggering.

The action depends on what "turning off" and "rebooting" actually mean for you. You could change settings, switch scenes, run an external script or program that does something with the system itself, etc.

zhHighwayRacer03

You'll have to define in technical terms what "turning off" and "rebooting" actually mean. I've seen people use those terms to mean anything from simply switching scenes to physically unplugging, and several things in between. So what's actually needed?

The timer part can be done with the Advanced Scene Switcher plugin:
It can automate almost anything in response to almost anything. Use the Date condition for a "wall clock" time, or the timer that's included with any condition to require the condition to be true for that time before triggering.

The action depends on what "turning off" and "rebooting" actually mean for you. You could change settings, switch scenes, run an external script or program that does something with the system itself, etc.
a timer that turns off my elgato and turns it on again the next second

AaronD

turns off my elgato
How?
  • Hide it in OBS, which keeps it running in the background?
  • Remove and re-add it in OBS, which re-configures what OBS does with it but not the operating system?
  • Disable and re-enable its USB port, which resets the operating system's handling of it too?
  • Cut the power in its USB cord, which resets all of the capture hardware in addition to USB and the OS?
Why do you need it reset anyway? Is this an XY problem?:

zhHighwayRacer03

How?
  • Hide it in OBS, which keeps it running in the background?
  • Remove and re-add it in OBS, which re-configures what OBS does with it but not the operating system?
  • Disable and re-enable its USB port, which resets the operating system's handling of it too?
  • Cut the power in its USB cord, which resets all of the capture hardware in addition to USB and the OS?
Why do you need it reset anyway? Is this an XY problem?:
I think we misunderstood each other. The thing is, I get delay with my Elgato HD60x and if I want to fix that I have to deactivate the manual in obs and activate it again. Then I maybe have about 15 minutes of peace and quiet and have to restart it again. That's why I want a timer, plugin etc that does this for me

AaronD

I think we misunderstood each other. The thing is, I get delay with my Elgato HD60x and if I want to fix that I have to deactivate the manual in obs and activate it again. Then I maybe have about 15 minutes of peace and quiet and have to restart it again. That's why I want a timer, plugin etc that does this for me
So it *is* an XY problem! The real question is, "How to not get the delay after a while?"

What are your sample rates? Posting a log file should answer that, and their mismatch is even one of the things that the automated analyzer looks for, which you can get to from my signature.

zhHighwayRacer03

So it *is* an XY problem! The real question is, "How to not get the delay after a while?"

What are your sample rates? Posting a log file should answer that, and their mismatch is even one of the things that the automated analyzer looks for, which you can get to from my signature.
I get a delay after about 10 minutes with the Elgato HD60x. Then the sound and image shift. Sound comes later than the picture. Simple Rates "posting a log file" from obs, I don't know how it works