Resize Base and Output Res to current Source size

bili

So, say, I'm trying to capture a specific area of the display. I don't want to have black bars on the sides (or top and bottom):
1612653510100.png

What I would currently have to do is go here:
1612653376400.png

Then calculate 1200 - 100 - 100 and 1920 - 1500 - 220, then go to Settings and enter the resultant values here:
1612653484600.png

Then I'll finally get what I want:
1612653608800.png

That's pretty cumbersome. Considering the "specific resolution" isn't something constant and depends entirely on what it is I'm trying to capture, I can't really use profiles for quick switching and would need to go through the whole thing every time. I might be missing something. Is there a way to make the Output and Base Res size equal to the current Source size?

FerretBomb

You may need to use a Crop/Pad filter instead of the alt-drag quick-crop (which doesn't change the actual source size).

bili

By alt-drag quick-crop do you mean using the Transform menu?

Edit: Crop/Pad seems to work with Resize Output option! What is the difference between cropping using the Crop/Pad filter and the Edit Transform menu, and why do both options exist?

FerretBomb

By alt-drag quick-crop do you mean using the Transform menu?

Edit: Crop/Pad seems to work with Resize Output option! What is the difference between cropping using the Crop/Pad filter and the Edit Transform menu, and why do both options exist?
The Edit Transform menu crop (or holding down the ALT key and dragging a sizing handle) are a nondestructive per-scene "temporary" effect, as transforms are per-scene positioning/rotation/sizing data.
The Crop/Pad filter (all filters in fact) destructively alters the source itself, across all instances in all scenes.

So if (for example) you have a camera pointed at you, and you have a greenscreen that doesn't entirely fill it, you can use a crop/pad filter to trim the source itself, as you'll never want to have that part outside the greenscreen to be visible.
But if you had one scene where you wanted your camera to be square-aspect instead of 16:9, using the crop/pad filter would make it square aspect in EVERY scene, while alt-crop (or the Edit Transform dialog) will crop it only for that one scene.

konsolenritter

Considering the "specific resolution" isn't something constant and depends entirely on what it is I'm trying to capture, I can't really use profiles for quick switching and would need to go through the whole thing every time. I might be missing something. Is there a way to make the Output and Base Res size equal to the current Source size?

Do you have you listener/target folks in mind? Ever changing output dimension is a torture for each target player, displaying device and the eyes of the consumer. Just to mention if you avoid black bars on your side, the player will "re"produce them on the target side, again to fit the content onto an display with its physical dimension given.

Just my humble opinion, but it seems to be better then to "forecast" and predetermine how the content should look on target displays with usual aspect ratios. You can fill with an topic bound background image. You may lead the attention by heavily blurrying those background image, so the folks focuses onto your (cropped) content, anyway. YMMV. =D

Videobuff

The Edit Transform menu crop (or holding down the ALT key and dragging a sizing handle) are a nondestructive per-scene "temporary" effect, as transforms are per-scene positioning/rotation/sizing data.
The Crop/Pad filter (all filters in fact) destructively alters the source itself, across all instances in all scenes.

So if (for example) you have a camera pointed at you, and you have a greenscreen that doesn't entirely fill it, you can use a crop/pad filter to trim the source itself, as you'll never want to have that part outside the greenscreen to be visible.
But if you had one scene where you wanted your camera to be square-aspect instead of 16:9, using the crop/pad filter would make it square aspect in EVERY scene, while alt-crop (or the Edit Transform dialog) will crop it only for that one scene.
Nice explanation of the difference, thank you.

Videobuff

+1
There's no reasonable way to record a portion of a screen today? :-/
Just set the display as a source, place the source in your scene and use your alt key to crop to the portion of the screen you want to record…this works fine for me when I want to record a portion of my screen. Is this what you mean?

Videobuff

Just set the display as a source, place the source in your scene and use your alt key to crop to the portion of the screen you want to record…this works fine for me when I want to record a portion of my screen. Is this what you mean?
I should say I use a two monitor setup when doing the above.

bili

@konsolenritter not sure I understand what you're saying.
Just to mention if you avoid black bars on your side, the player will "re"produce them on the target side, again to fit the content onto an display with its physical dimension given.
Yes, that's the point.
That's the way it should be.
The player should produce the bars when necessary, not the recording software.
When the recording software creates bars on two sides, the viewer can end up with bars on all four sides (and a tiny square of video in the middle) in their player because we all use different screen ratios and viewing setups.

konsolenritter

Yepp.

But the aspect ratio as given by your example was portrait-wise (vertical oriented) and so extremely unusual that every player makes it worse by its nature. Most players, screens and so on assume landscape orientation. Every player that tries to fit your extremely slim/narrow material on its longer side into the target ratio will make it so small in horizontal direction (otherwise by breaching the aspect ratio your content would be rendered unviewable and vomiting and causing nausea). So it keeps the aspect ratio at its best. Every content like text will be rendered then unreadable small. Is that what you want? oO

Hence i gave the advice to bring your content in an acceptable (== usual) aspect ratio and ensure by yourself that the important part of that material will be cropped and focused right in the center of the screen. Neither the technical player nor the target screen may know what your intention was to show as important part of those unusual narrow "filmstrip". ;)

xsilas43

Absurd this is still an issue, no reasonable way to select a region of screen to be captured. Instead you must fiddle with pixel settings.

khaver

A nice feature might be to be able to drag a rectangle in the preview screen holding some modifier key, and when you release the mouse button and modifier, the red source borders turn green and crop to the rectangle.

konsolenritter

The preview would be to small to do this (some people prefer to work exactly) due to its reduced resolution. So the drag of a rectangel should work like color-grabbing pencil tool in image processing software (while the software itself is minimized to show the desktop/other programs).

Tomasz Góral

Absurd this is still an issue, no reasonable way to select a region of screen to be captured. Instead you must fiddle with pixel settings.
It’s not a issue it a properties.
you must select correct resolution and aspect ratio of picture.
you decides about base resolution and output.
Source material not decides about output.