Remote play-by-play for sports broadcasts?

samfeeleypbp

I use OBS mainly to produce live sports broadcasts. I have spoken to a number of clients who are located a good distance away from me who are interested in my services, but don't have the funds to sponsor my travel to their games. They have asked if I can do play-by-play from my office over their video feed. I know that vMix has a built in feature for this, and it's also possible with Wirecast, but can I accomplish this in OBS, and if so, how?

My ideal setup would be as follows, but I don't know if this is possible: The video feed from the client is fed into OBS on my system, I do commentary over it as I see it happening, and the stream is put out on my YouTube channel or whatever platform they want it on.

If they are streaming the event from their location, I need to know how to sync the video and my commentary so it doesn't sound like I'm five or 10 or however many seconds behind the action.

AaronD

How reliable is the internet connection, end-to-end? One dropped connection mid-game might be enough to convince them to fly you on-site!

That said, your primary concern, as you suggested, is going to be latency. And if you're running across the public internet with who-knows-how-many hops in between that don't care any more for your traffic than anyone else's, you'll probably have to use a protocol that does have 10 seconds' worth of buffer or so, just to be able to re-transmit what WILL be lost, and piece the buffer all back together before the playhead gets to it.

So the question is not, "how do I remove the latency," but rather, "how do I line everything up again, that far behind the action?" And the answer is simply to delay everything else by whatever it takes to match a bulletproof round-trip. If they can't do that, they need to get you (or someone) on-site. Period.