Question / Help Recordings are super choppy. Please help.

CichaelMouse

Hey, I'm relatively new to both the PC world and the recording world. I've been trying to record games and when I go to edit them, they're super choppy and bad recordings all together. I've looked around and did some research, and I'm still having issues.

My specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
16gb ram
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

I'd love to know why thing's aren't working and possible solutions to fix; even if it means a new part(s)

Logfile: https://obsproject.com/logs/H0deWOC65fC6O964

FerretBomb

Problem 1:
14:18:45.863: - scene 'Scene':
14:18:45.863: - source: 'Game Capture' (game_capture)
14:18:45.863: - source: 'DISCORD' (wasapi_input_capture)
14:18:45.863: - source: 'Display Capture' (monitor_capture)
Never have a Monitor/Display Capture and a Game Capture in the same scene. It can cause massive conflicts. Display capture really should be avoided at all costs, but if you have no other choice, put it in a separate Scene.

Problem 2:
14:22:06.156: ==== Recording Start ===============================================
14:22:06.156: [ffmpeg muxer: 'simple_file_output'] Writing file 'C:/Users/<username>/Videos/OBS/2020-04-03 14-22-05.mov'...
14:37:21.668: [ffmpeg muxer: 'simple_file_output'] Output of file 'C:/Users/<username>/Videos/OBS/2020-04-03 14-22-05.mov' stopped
NEVER EVER FOR ANY REASON record directly to mp4 or mov with OBS.
Record to MKV or FLV, and remux the files later from OBS' File menu, Remux Recordings, if you need mp4 or mov files. Video editors tend to HATE the mp4s/movs that OBS outputs directly, to the point of crashing outright in some cases. Remuxed versions work fine.
Also, if your system has ANY problem occur while recording (even when the file is being finalized!) and you're recording to mp4/mov, the recording will be irrecoverably corrupted. There is no way to repair them ever, they are simply a pile of digital garbage... mp4/mov are not meant as recording formats. MKV and FLV, if there's a problem, at most you'll lose a second or two off the end.

Unrelated tip, you can also run OBS as Administrator to enable a GPU-priority workaround, allowing OBS 'first dibs' on GPU time to take care of its housekeeping tasks, ensuring that they get done and your recording doesn't drop frames because whatever game you were playing 'ate' all the GPU processing power before OBS could get any. Especially handy with a GTX 1050. :)